DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think carefully before purchasing if you’re in the EU and UK

watch this video.

C2 Class Aircraft with an A2 CofC
You’ll be able to fly down to 30m of uninvolved people, or down to 5m if the aircraft has been switched to a low-speed mode with a C2 class aircraft.
C2 class aircraft need to have less than a 4 kg MTOM, be ‘safely made’ as determined by EU manufacturer standards, it needs noise limitations, a remote ID and a form of geo awareness.
It also needs a low-speed mode which limits the maximum speed of the aircraft to 3 m/s (approx 6.7 mph).

‘Legacy’ Aircraft with an A2 CofC
If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and then you will be able to fly close to uninvolved people as long as you don’t overfly them. If your aircraft is between 500g and 2kg MTOM (like the DJI Mavic 2) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and you will have to maintain a 50m separation distance from uninvolved people. You will be able to fly these ‘legacy’ aircraft under these permissions with an A2 CofC between 1st July 2020 and 30th June 2022. After this point, you will only be able to fly these aircraft in the A3 ‘far from people’ category which means you’ve got to stay 150m away from residential, industrial, business and recreational areas and a minimum of 50m from uninvolved people.

Do we know what 'remote ID' actually means? Because ADS-B is not the same. ADS-B comes in two flavours, IN and OUT. All of the DJI drones with ADS-B (including the American Mavic Air 2) are the IN version and only display manned aircraft in your locality. The OUT version would tell manned aircraft that you are flying your drone in a particular area, or indeed other drones users with ADS-B. ADS-B OUT for recreational/small professional drones is a long way off IMHO.

So Remote ID would not have anything to do with ADS-B. As far as I know, your serial number is transmitted anyway with all recent DJI drones, I'm guessing complying with Remote ID.

Tripod mode is currently set at 5m/s I believe, but could be changed to 3m/s to comply.

The big issue, is the fact its not stamped with the CE C1 or C2 rating unfortunately.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2019-04-23-at-11.50.46.png
    Screenshot-2019-04-23-at-11.50.46.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot-2019-04-23-at-15.57.22.png
    Screenshot-2019-04-23-at-15.57.22.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Yes but you also quoted "Similarly, even for none commercial work the distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings will be significantly impacted." - I was simply pointing out the Leisure flyer impact. If you only want commerically impacted flyer to comment then maybe change the subject of the thread?

I thought with the new rules. There's also no difference between commercial and none commercial work?

Or...

Reactions: Skyfli
Do we know what 'remote ID' actually means? Because ADS-B is not the same. ADS-B comes in two flavours, IN and OUT. All of the DJI drones with ADS-B (including the American Mavic Air 2) are the IN version and only display manned aircraft in your locality. The OUT version would tell manned aircraft that you are flying your drone in a particular area, or indeed other drones users with ADS-B. ADS-B OUT for recreational/small professional drones is a long way off IMHO.

So Remote ID would not have anything to do with ADS-B. As far as I know, your serial number is transmitted anyway with all recent DJI drones, I'm guessing complying with Remote ID.

Tripod mode is currently set at 5m/s I believe, but could be changed to 3m/s to comply.

The big issue, is the fact its not stamped with the CE C1 or C2 rating unfortunately.

Tripod mode wouldn’t work. The 'low speed mode' has to be able to be activated by a switch in the remote control. They could use the fn button I suppose. But, yes - it’s all scuppered as the drone isn’t marked as compliant. I’ve also had it mentioned to me that it falls short on other requirements, but not sure which.

I thought with the new rules. There's also no difference between commercial and none commercial work?

Or...

There isn’t.Again, I mention this in my original post. It all relates to proximity of people and buildings. It’s more likely commercial pilots will want to get closer, and therefore take the exams.

I thought Uninvolved people meant "not in a relationship".
So I was able to fly my drone at a Speed Dating Event.

• Haha
So, as I read it the A3 class more or less directly to current "Drone Code" recreational use, with the exception
- of the easement to 30m for takeoff and landing
- The rules being 150m of any building, rather than a "built up area" which I always found a little ambiguous but can conservatively be stated as "two or more buildings".

So I'll more or less be able to use my registered M2P as I do now. Mavic Mini owners will need to do the very simple DMARES test and pay £9 registration.

For the next 2 years, I can do an A2 qualification at around £249 and fly closer than I do now, after which I need to have a complaint drone, which the M2P won't be.

That's my understanding as well but I'm getting confused with all this talk about how catastrophic the new changes will be to existing drones such as the Mavic 2 with a thread I think was on here about how the Mavic 2's will be worthless soon due to them being unusable under the new laws. I can appreciate there are changes particularly for commercial pilots but I'm not seeing how it affects non-commercial pilots, I'm not allowed to fly near people under the current law so it's not loss if I still can't do that under the new laws.

That's my understanding as well but I'm getting confused with all this talk about how catastrophic the new changes will be to existing drones such as the Mavic 2 with a thread I think was on here about how the Mavic 2's will be worthless soon due to them being unusable under the new laws. I can appreciate there are changes particularly for commercial pilots but I'm not seeing how it affects non-commercial pilots, I'm not allowed to fly near people under the current law so it's not loss if I still can't do that under the new laws.
Yep. There’s not a great deal of change with legacy drones. Only if you’re flying under an A2CofC.

Bit more detective work.... ?

Two model numbers are different, and indicate if ADS-B (IN) is fitted or not. UK and European models will be MA2UEIN, and not have ADS-B as already confirmed, at least at in the initial batch.

Pics included of the internal label differences, and also a label from an actual Mavic Air 2 released to an early reviewer. They were given a European version and no signs of a class rating CE 1 or 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200428-160536_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428-160536_Photos.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20200428-160521_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428-160521_Photos.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20200428-135815_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428-135815_Chrome.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20200428-135742_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428-135742_Photos.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
basically we will all have to fly under the same classification ,but only being able to get no closer than 150m, would be no good for commercial photography,but to be able to do that whether commercial or hobby, will require you to have a compliant drone and pass an exam to show you are competent to fly in those sort of conditions

From July this year, everyone that has a drone needs to register with the CAA (regardless of weight) and take the DMARES test.

Have you got the date wrong??

The CAA Drone & Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DMARES)
The law has changed. From 30th November 2019, if you operate a model aircraft or drone (weighing more than 250g) outdoors, then you must be registered with the CAA and be able to provide documented evidence of competency. The BMFA has agreed a very simple process to help members comply.

No, November 30th 2019 for drones weighing more than 250g. July 2020, although in practice moved back until November?, for all "non-toy" drones, even if <250g.

Non toy drones? Define please

Have you got the date wrong??

The CAA Drone & Model Aircraft Registration and Education Scheme (DMARES)
The law has changed. From 30th November 2019, if you operate a model aircraft or drone (weighing more than 250g) outdoors, then you must be registered with the CAA and be able to provide documented evidence of competency. The BMFA has agreed a very simple process to help members comply.
I have. Forgot it’s changed (twice now).

So, if you are a hobby pilot and okay to keep 50m away from uninvolved people and 150m away from built-up areas, you will be okay to buy Mavic Air 2 and could use it beyond 2022?

Please someone tell me yes, because out of excitement I have paid for an Air 2 this morning!!!

Reactions: Lastrexking
So, if you are a hobby pilot and okay to keep 50m away from uninvolved people and 150m away from built-up areas, you will be okay to buy Mavic Air 2 and could use it beyond 2022?

Please someone tell me yes, because out of excitement I have paid for an Air 2 this morning!!!

Absolutely ?

Reactions: mithatrone
Thank you for that!! ??
All that legal jargon was too much to digest and I was panicking a bit!! ?
Yeah, it really only affects people that are bothering to get qualified.

Reactions: mithatrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard