DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think carefully before purchasing if you’re in the EU and UK

If I need to keep 150 meters away from anyone, no one is going to see me fly my drone anyway.

Haha. I guess it's a win-win for you because then no one is gonna come at you because they will not be able to identify themselves in your video... which is another clause in this EASA spaghetti (regarding sensors that capture personal data)

Sorry for asking for extra clarity. I'm from the UK and looking to purchase the Mavic Air 2 purely for leisure. I'm obviously happy to register the drone for £9 a year and avoid people and buildings etc. What would the implications of the drone not complying from 2022 mean for a 'free-time' flyer like myself? Is this just stricter rules or would I not be allowed to fly at all? Apologies, I'm new to this so not clear on the jargon.
Yes. The distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings will increase.

After this point, you will only be able to fly these aircraft in the A3 ‘far from people’ category which means you’ve got to stay 150m away from residential, industrial, business and recreational areas and a minimum of 50m from uninvolved people.

So, as I read it the A3 class more or less directly to current "Drone Code" recreational use, with the exception
- of the easement to 30m for takeoff and landing
- The rules being 150m of any building, rather than a "built up area" which I always found a little ambiguous but can conservatively be stated as "two or more buildings".

So I'll more or less be able to use my registered M2P as I do now. Mavic Mini owners will need to do the very simple DMARES test and pay £9 registration.

For the next 2 years, I can do an A2 qualification at around £249 and fly closer than I do now, after which I need to have a complaint drone, which the M2P won't be.

Reactions: OgaKpataKpata
No. That’s wrong mate. A2cofC is purely for people that want to take a test which will enable them to fly closer to people and buildings. It’s optional. From July this year, everyone that has a drone with a camera simply needs to register with the CAA (regardless of weight) and take the DMARES test.

So, basically leisure fliers won’t be affected and can stick to the drone code.

People that will want to fly closure to buildings and none involved people than the drone code permits can take the A2cofC.

Edited.. I hope it's clearer for new buyers having to choose between Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2 now

Reactions: Skyfli
So, as I read it the A3 class more or less directly to current "Drone Code" recreational use, with the exception
- The rules being 150m of any building, rather than a "built up area" which I always found a little ambiguous but can conservatively be stated as "two or more buildings".

So I'll more or less be able to use my registered M2P as I do now. Mavic Mini owners will need to do the very simple DMARES test and pay £9 registration.

For the next 2 years, I can do an A2 qualification at around £249 and fly closer than I do now, after which I need to have a complaint drone, which the M2P won't be.
Spot on ??

and for Mavic Air 2 owners? Same as the last paragraph?? Because its weight is over 500g...

As now you will still be able to fly the older drones in 2022. However you have to keep your distance, much like now. For commercial use you will need the new drones and certification. Much like now.

In reality there will only be a problem if you do something silly and some one complains. Much like now.

The only people who should be flying close to uninvolved people are licensed and insured people i.e. professionals.
Given the life of batteries and drones in 10 years there won't be any current legacy drones flying anyway.

and for Mavic Air 2 owners? Same as the last paragraph?? Because its weight is over 500g...
Yes, as it won't comply with "C2" regulatory standards, it will fall into "Legacy" - ie the same as the MP2. Hence the warning that you will be unable to fly with reduced restrictions in July 2022. That said the MA2 is consumer model, and I can't imagine the takeup of A2 to be that wide for hobbyists.

Yes, with the new law you need a small drone licence and its cost around 400€. Because of this im lucky to have bought the mavic mini. But the Air2 looks nice. Maybe the licence drops to 100€ in the future and than its okay to get one.

As now you will still be able to fly the older drones in 2022. However you have to keep your distance, much like now. For commercial use you will need the new drones and certification. Much like now.

In reality there will only be a problem if you do something silly and some one complains. Much like now.

The only people who should be flying close to uninvolved people are licensed and insured people i.e. professionals.
Given the life of batteries and drones in 10 years there won't be any current legacy drones flying anyway.
This is why in my OP I said for those flying commercially.

I'm sure I read (or perhaps watched) somewhere recently that the UK has postponed the implementation of the European regs in July to an unspecified future date?

I'm sure I read (or perhaps watched) somewhere recently that the UK has postponed the implementation of the European regs in July to an unspecified future date?
As per my original post, they now come into force from September.

watch this video.

C2 Class Aircraft with an A2 CofC
You’ll be able to fly down to 30m of uninvolved people, or down to 5m if the aircraft has been switched to a low-speed mode with a C2 class aircraft.
C2 class aircraft need to have less than a 4 kg MTOM, be ‘safely made’ as determined by EU manufacturer standards, it needs noise limitations, a remote ID and a form of geo awareness.
It also needs a low-speed mode which limits the maximum speed of the aircraft to 3 m/s (approx 6.7 mph).

‘Legacy’ Aircraft with an A2 CofC
If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and then you will be able to fly close to uninvolved people as long as you don’t overfly them. If your aircraft is between 500g and 2kg MTOM (like the DJI Mavic 2) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and you will have to maintain a 50m separation distance from uninvolved people. You will be able to fly these ‘legacy’ aircraft under these permissions with an A2 CofC between 1st July 2020 and 30th June 2022. After this point, you will only be able to fly these aircraft in the A3 ‘far from people’ category which means you’ve got to stay 150m away from residential, industrial, business and recreational areas and a minimum of 50m from uninvolved people.
"If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini)", but DJI Mavic Mini is not between 250g and 500g. It is just 249g.

But for leisure flyers the bit i read "Drones introduced to the market before July 1, 2022, will become known as legacy aircraft. So, after the Transitional Period ends, you will only be able to fly these legacy aircraft in the A3 subcategory (far from people – no uninvolved people present within the area of flight/no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas), unless you have a valid Operational Authorisation (PfCO)." means that after July 2022 you can only fly miles away from people ..how many leisure droners are going to take a £249 test to fly closer???

"If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini)", but DJI Mavic Mini is not between 250g and 500g. It is just 249g.

The weight is 249, but the Maximum Take Off Weight.. MTOM.. Is higher than that. Somewhere around 279g if I remember correctly.

But for leisure flyers the bit i read "Drones introduced to the market before July 1, 2022, will become known as legacy aircraft. So, after the Transitional Period ends, you will only be able to fly these legacy aircraft in the A3 subcategory (far from people – no uninvolved people present within the area of flight/no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas), unless you have a valid Operational Authorisation (PfCO)." means that after July 2022 you can only fly miles away from people ..how many leisure droners are going to take a £249 test to fly closer???
Yes. My post isn’t aimed at leisure fliers. Did you read my or post where I said 'So, if you’re wanting to use the drone commercially and fly under the A2cofC'?

Yes but you also quoted "Similarly, even for none commercial work the distance you can fly in relation to people and buildings will be significantly impacted." - I was simply pointing out the Leisure flyer impact. If you only want commerically impacted flyer to comment then maybe change the subject of the thread?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d