DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think carefully before purchasing if you’re in the EU and UK

The CAP is very confusing. It states that C1 aircraft are;

'less than 900g maximum take-off mass, or;
▪ are made and perform in a way that if they collide with a human head, the energy
transmitted will be less than 80 Joules
▪ have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)
▪ designed and constructed so as to minimise injury to people'

But, then in the categories it states A1 can only be conducted with unmanned aircraft that present a very low risk of harm or injury to other people due to their low weight (less than 250g), their type of construction, or because they are a ‘toy2’ (i.e. they are ‘inherently harmless’). However, flight over open-air assemblies of people is not permitted.

So, I’m baffled.
The CAP is here if anyone else fancies figuring it out

It’s so ambiguous that it’s meaning rubbish. Any court would just throw it out as useless.

Reactions: Lastrexking
So, do I understand it correctly, legacy aircraft like the original Mavic Air without transmitters for position to authorities can continue to be used indefinitely after 2022 as long as you obey the distancing rules and fly non commercialy?

I'm especially asking this fo the EU.

Thanks for clarification.

So, do I understand it correctly, legacy aircraft like the original Mavic Air without transmitters for position to authorities can continue to be used indefinitely after 2022 as long as you obey the distancing rules and fly non commercialy? I'm especially asking this fo the EU.
Thanks for clarification.

At the current time that appears to be the case. We can still fly, non-commercially, on the old distancing rules.
That is what it appears to be going to happen in 2022.
However that is 2& 1/2 years away and anything could happen.

At the current time that appears to be the case. We can still fly, non-commercially, on the old distancing rules.
That is what it appears to be going to happen in 2022.
However that is 2& 1/2 years away and anything could happen.

There’s no such thing as 'commercial/none commercial' when the new rules come in. Anyone can make money with their drone. The only advantage to qualifications is the distance you can fly in relation to buildings and people.

Going back to my original point. This video explains why the new Air2 is no good for qualified pilots (A2cofc, grandfathered PFCO, GVC etc) post 2022 much better than I can.

• Love
Reactions: Skyfli
Going back to my original point. This video explains why the new Air2 is no good for qualified pilots (A2cofc, grandfathered PFCO, GVC etc) post 2022 much better than I can.

Pure clickbait title on the video, not sure what the guy's point even is...if you don't like it don't buy it...no-one's making him.

Pure clickbait title on the video, not sure what the guy's point even is...if you don't like it don't buy it...no-one's making him.
His point is about the change of rules and how the Air2 will be useless for professional pilot after 2022 ?

His point is about the change of rules and how the Air2 will be useless for professional pilot after 2022 ?
Then don't buy it then, it's simple.
Seems he's just got the hump because DJI dared to release a drone that isn't perfect for the minute user base that fly drones professionally.

Also the title of this thread is a bit clicky, u should've mentioned professional pilots.

Then don't buy it then, it's simple.
Seems he's just got the hump because DJI dared to release a drone that isn't perfect for the minute user base that fly drones professionally.

Also the title of this thread is a bit clicky, u should've mentioned professional pilots.

I mention it in the post....Also the new rule changes don’t just affect professional pilots either. Leisure pilots will also have to fly at greater distances if they’re using legacy craft.

Reactions: Skyfli
I mention it in the post....Also the new rule changes don’t just affect professional pilots either. Leisure pilots will also have to fly at greater distances if they’re using legacy craft.
But that applies to all legacy drones, it's not news.

Reactions: Pedwards
a
But that applies to all legacy drones, it's not news.
I’m not going to argue with you. A lot of people aren’t aware of the changes as is evident in this thread. I’m just trying to help them spend their money wisely and not be cheesed off in two years when they have a drone that is more restricted than newer models.
If you’re going to get upset because people are trying to help other people, then this forum isn’t for you. It’s what we do here.

I’m not going to argue with you. A lot of people aren’t aware of the changes as is evident in this thread. I’m just trying to help them spend their money wisely and not be cheesed off in two years when they have a drone that is more restricted than newer models.
If you’re going to get upset because people are trying to help other people, then this forum isn’t for you. It’s what we do here.
Haha, upset? You're the one who's upset because DJI didn't cater to your specific needs.
You're right though, it's pointless arguing, I'll leave you to feel agrieved.

Haha, upset? You're the one who's upset because DJI didn't cater to your specific needs.
You're right though, it's pointless arguing, I'll leave you to feel agrieved.
?

WTF is uninvolved people .. they just making up $hit. They couldn't make it more complicated if they tried.
I just want fly my drone around the forest and do some video.
Why does everything have to be so god dam complicated all the time.
Let me guess this will cost me more money.
of course

Any drone that can be controlled further than 400ft is not a toy.

Actually, there’s more to it than that;

- less than 250g maximum take-off mass
- have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)
- are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) from the controlling device

This doesn’t include any camera with a camera either.

The UK CAP 1789 document is a pig to read through - but note that it is based on the European EASA Regulations (EU) 2019/945 and 2019/947 (which is sooo much easier to read)

The thing that kills off all debate and confirms that the Mavic Air 2 is and always will be a 'legacy' class drone, is that it has not been manufactured to include the 'C1 Class' logo showing anywhere on its labelling. The EASA rules are VERY specific in that they tell us that a drone that does not have the label, will not be accepted into the Classification, and will operate under the 'Open' classification - and in most cases fly under 'category A3' rules - which is pretty much today's Drone Code - with a small amendment in that the exclusion zone around people is being turned into a cylinder, rather than a dome i.e. no more overflights of uninvolved people - at any height!

In other words, it's not enough to just have the features ... The drone must be manufactured to conform with the specifications as a minimum, and have the Class logo e.g.
C1.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre