DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is NOT what I expected!

Heijst

Reactions
Since a year I had the Mavic Air, my first drone. As a hobby photographer I didn’t know whether I would like it or not. I was used to walk around with some 8 kg prime equipment, so a quality comparison wouldn’t be fair. But I was really pleasant surprised with the photographic results of this drone. Of course I had to learn a lot (and still have): chopped some leaves, had a hard confrontation with a rock, damaged a prop, and things like that.
Flying with a drone reminded me of those old days before I quitted smoking. Once you have lit the first cigarette, you want more. So got exited when in Yanuary this year at the CES Autel announced it new drone: the Evo II. This could be a DJI killer. And I started following the news about this drone although the price was much higher that my MA..
Unfortunately my interest changed in the weeks after: delay after delay and if there was any news it was more about small problems that kept coming back. Even the initially promising patent dispute with DJI was lost in the end.
When corona came I wasn’t interested anymore. Worse: the only place to fly was in my own backyard.
Things changed from the moment I first heard about the MA 2. Not that I wanted one at that moment, but even before the official selling date the amount of Youtube reviews was so overwhelming and so positive, that my attention was drawn 100%.
To make a long story short, since a few days I have the MA 2 in house and made my first test flights. My first impression is that the photographic possibilities are slightly better than the MA, but not enough reason to switch from MA to MA 2
So this is NOT what I expected.
To be honest: it is far more than that. For me the most important difference is the confidence I have in this MA 2: no worry about short flight times, no worry about losing connections. This is a bird I can trust as much as my German Shephard and every dog lover knows what that means. I fly longer, further away and higher without the slightest sign of trouble. The Mavic Air is pure fun.
Love from Curacao.

Attachments

• DJI_0423-S.jpg
    DJI_0423-S.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 540
Coming from the Spark, I can relate. Its 10 times the fun.

Since a year I had the Mavic Air, my first drone. As a hobby photographer I didn’t know whether I would like it or not. I was used to walk around with some 8 kg prime equipment, so a quality comparison wouldn’t be fair. But I was really pleasant surprised with the photographic results of this drone. Of course I had to learn a lot (and still have): chopped some leaves, had a hard confrontation with a rock, damaged a prop, and things like that.
Flying with a drone reminded me of those old days before I quitted smoking. Once you have lit the first cigarette, you want more. So got exited when in Yanuary this year at the CES Autel announced it new drone: the Evo II. This could be a DJI killer. And I started following the news about this drone although the price was much higher that my MA..
Unfortunately my interest changed in the weeks after: delay after delay and if there was any news it was more about small problems that kept coming back. Even the initially promising patent dispute with DJI was lost in the end.
When corona came I wasn’t interested anymore. Worse: the only place to fly was in my own backyard.
Things changed from the moment I first heard about the MA 2. Not that I wanted one at that moment, but even before the official selling date the amount of Youtube reviews was so overwhelming and so positive, that my attention was drawn 100%.
To make a long story short, since a few days I have the MA 2 in house and made my first test flights. My first impression is that the photographic possibilities are slightly better than the MA, but not enough reason to switch from MA to MA 2
To be honest: it is far more than that. For me the most important difference is the confidence I have in this MA 2: no worry about short flight times, no worry about losing connections. This is a bird I can trust as much as my German Shephard and every dog lover knows what that means. I fly longer, further away and higher without the slightest sign of trouble. The Mavic Air is pure fun.
Love from Curacao.
Beautiful photo. Been to Aruba but not Curaçao.

Love from Curacao.

Really nice image. So glad you are happy with the Mavic Air 2.

Hi Heijst, thank you for sharing your experience.
I bough a Mavic Air near two years ago, but I use it less than I expected because of the problems of comunication. I tried a lot of solutions suggested in this forum, unsucessfully. You say that you have less problems of communication with the Mavic Air 2. Do you consideer that this better functionning could justify the change?

I gotta ask, you say corona came and the only place to take pics was your back yard.

If that is your back yard, I think I can speak for the collective whole that we are jealous of your back yard.
If this is my backyard, I would fly with a DJI Matrice 600 or something like that.

Hi Heijst, thank you for sharing your experience.
I bough a Mavic Air near two years ago, but I use it less than I expected because of the problems of comunication. I tried a lot of solutions suggested in this forum, unsucessfully. You say that you have less problems of communication with the Mavic Air 2. Do you consideer that this better functionning could justify the change?
Yes this was an important reason. The second reason is the far better flight time. No need to constantly keep an eye on the battery level. I am 100% sure about the switch I made. You won't regret it!

Reactions: JLDura
Excellent - hope this was read by that ‘deleted member’ who was too consciously law abiding about for his own adult good!

Reactions: Heijst
Far more better. Never wanted to lose VLOS, now I dare (don't tell the police) to fly to places I couldn't reach before.
I have gotten just shy of four miles with my MA2. Never got that kind of range with a WiFi drone before. But I never had the Mavic air.

Reactions: Heijst

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan