DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is the way DJI intended you hand launch and land your Mavic 2.

good demonstration, John

the emphasis appears to be on the hand catching/landing, enabled because of software changes that had historically prevented the MP from "settling down" with sensors engaged. Do you know if this software upgrade has affected the MP1?

How did you hand launch? Did you simply trigger the take-off icon, and move the slider?

From my perspective, the video below is submitted for interest/entertainment, only. I do not have the guts to try this, but it is an interesting alternative.

Reactions: calmar81
Thanks Drone on, I engaged the motors by pulling the sticks in and towards me then pushed the left stick for take off. I think I can count on one hand using the slider, I don't know why. I don't know about the MP1, sold it for the Mavic 2 zoom. But I would guess you could do the same thing with the MP1. I think I should have put the link in the Mavic 2 section, ner mind.
I have tried every way to catch the MP1 and MP2, that have been discussed out there. They all run risks, I just think the one I posted is the safest and least stressful.
We have the most control over the machine this way.

Thanks Drone on, I engaged the motors by pulling the sticks in and towards me then pushed the left stick for take off. I think I can count on one hand using the slider, I don't know why. I don't know about the MP1, sold it for the Mavic 2 zoom. But I would guess you could do the same thing with the MP1. I think I should have put the link in the Mavic 2 section, ner mind.
I have tried every way to catch the MP1 and MP2, that have been discussed out there. They all run risks, I just think the one I posted is the safest and least stressful.
We have the most control over the machine this way.
What’s nice is you don’t have to turn off landing protection. I need to try it with my MP1.

My understanding is that DJI didn't "intend" for people to hand catch the Mavic at all. (I think only the Spark is marketed as "hand catchable".)

What's likely going on is that the sensor is disabling itself due to an unexpected value: because you are sliding your hand under the sensor at a very close range, the software thinks something has gone wrong and doesn't attempt to react to that input.

Very well explained, I have hand caught and launched my Mavic Air but will try the mpz, thanks

Hand out, stick back and it will land in your hand soft as a feather, just like the air. I am puzzled how people are making this so hard.

Last edited:
Well you are right, dawgpilot, officially DJI can't state publicly any but the Spark are hand landable/take off. But unofficially they accept that many users want to be able to do this. Its similar to the line of sight, they know many like to go way way beyond the line of sight so they don't disable this function. DJI are in the business to make money and they know exactly what buyers want, they watch channels like this like a hawk.
There are a multitude of issues that are in conflict, another issues is the 30 meter from people and vehicles. They advertise breaking this international accepted rule/regulation, repeatedly. When the Mavic 2 came out there was no way you could land it, but they developed the software so you can. Why else is it now so easy?
It's a money game and DJI are constantly maneuvering between rules, regulations, competition but what is constant is their pursuit of making money.
What if they made the Mavic 2 impossible to hand land and a competitor made it easy, there would be many saying I want to be able to catch my drone, from a boat uneven ground or just because I want to. They know what people want and they know how to make it and that is why they are the world leader.

Yes JDawg, it does now. But it did not do so easily when it first came on the market. When the wind gets a little high it becomes a little unpredictable landing from a height. Makes me very nervous any way. But because tech is so good now, when it is still the M2 its is amazingly stable, it's as though it locks up, enough to slide your hand under it. Try my metod and then without lifting it up try to move it, the bugger will not move! Landing from a height might be better for you and that is fine, what you feel comfortable with, is what is important. But try it JDawg, and see what you feel more comfortable with, but do it a few times with each method. Then do what is best for you.

The safest way is always from a level, clean ground with a open vertical clearance. But when you have to, this is the safest and most efficient way to hand launch and land your Mavic 2.

Hi John,
Did the hand catch today, worked like a charm!
Thank you for the great demo and information.

I will try try the hand launch in a couple of days...

Thanks Drone on, I engaged the motors by pulling the sticks in and towards me then pushed the left stick for take off..
I can't see how you can hold the Mavic in 1 hand & then with the other hand holding the remote, pull both sticks together ??? - either you have a very dexterous hand/fingers; or more likely you've put the remote down in order to engage the motors - or maybe you've attached a lanyard to hold it round your neck.
Anyway, good to see there's a way to get round the sensors - I still think it's wise to turn off landing protection, in case you don't get it quite right, or DJI push out a firmware upgrade that affects your method.

Last edited:
Good info and it all makes sense. I never hand takeoff but almost always hand catch so this works for me.

I much prefer to disable landing protection and then I catch it high above my head. Those props would take out your eye in an instant if something went wrong so no way am I catching it at eye level like that. The tech is good but it's not foolproof and anything can happen. I also wear sunglasses when catching it even if it's cloudy out.

With Mavic air the way I do it is, let the sensors read the palm with drone at 2 feets above the head, hand streched. Thrust down and it lands/ grab it with the hand.

Is MP or M2 that different?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661