DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is the way DJI intended you hand launch and land your Mavic 2.

I can't see how you can hold the Mavic in 1 hand & then with the other hand holding the remote, pull both sticks together ??? - either you have a very dexterous hand/fingers; or more likely you've put the remote down in order to engage the motors - or maybe you've attached a lanyard to hold it round your neck.
Anyway, good to see there's a way to get round the sensors - I still think it's wise to turn off landing protection, in case you don't get it quite right, or DJI push out a firmware upgrade that affects your method.

Sitting or kneeling works well, or using a second person if they’re an experienced rPIC. Really common for SAR in bad terrain. There are also various ways to put a lanyard on the remote like with an FPV setup.

Being close to a flying lawnmower is a hard thing to call safe... But managed risk can be handled... Always best to land away from yourself and others (in accordance with FAA/...), it’ll save you some fingernails if nothing else ;)

I hold the remote with the phone and app ready to fly and the drone on the other hand like this

IMG_20190106_083130.jpg

Also when it goes to that idling state on your hand (after raising slightly) lowering your hand it will speed up and lift again to stay where it was.

This can be an alternative way to take off, just start the motors and drop your hand away.

No Tiago_Wolf the MP is not that different. I always used to catch MP, MA and P4P like that. I just think this way is safer, especially with a bit of wind. I just feel I have more control. But just do what works for you.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
israelshirk I started the morors like Tiago_Wolf did in his pic. It's a little awkward at first but you easily get used to it.

Hand land and take off can be very dangerous. When you get into a car you are potentially getting control of a 4,000 pound or 2,000 kilogram missile that could potentially kill many people. Hand launching or catching a Mavic can not quite do as much damage but it could easily blind you or create a big mess of your face, or other part of you body. I wouldn't do it naked.
You can look at those 8 props as blades that are moving at 5,700 rpm. That could be a lot of damage. I totally understand those who say its just not worth the risk. I don't mean to belittle the danger of hand launch/land a drone by comparing it to a car. That thought occurred to me when I was teaching my son how to drive. What I mean to say is that life is dangerous and I have total respect for those who would never entertain the thought.

So John, am I understanding that this method works on the Mavic 2, but not on earlier models such as Mavic Pro?
I've tried this method with my Mavic Pro Platinum - and unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for the MP. As soon as I slide my hand under the drone, it will rise about half a metre. I have to do the old method, which is to put a hand underneath, have it lower itself into my hand, grab tight to stop it rising again - then throttle stick to zero to stop.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
I've tried this method with my Mavic Pro Platinum - and unfortunately, it doesn't work that way for the MP. As soon as I slide my hand under the drone, it will rise about half a metre. I have to do the old method, which is to put a hand underneath, have it lower itself into my hand, grab tight to stop it rising again - then throttle stick to zero to stop.
Thank you. Your message gets me off the hook. John Gowland, please excuse me.
As I recall now, I have used "the old method" without difficulty, but maybe it was with a different model. Old age modifies memory.

sybren asked me why I cut the video at about 3 minutes. I told him it was a blooper. It's hard to fess up sometimes but here it is.

John

If I may add a bit of levity...

Okay, I think I've got it - lightly touch the tip of your nose and the Optical Recognition does the rest!

A piece of cake without grabbing which is stressing the motors.
Hold your hand out in the shape of the undercarriage (claw-like, not flat palm, sheesh!) and 9 times out of ten it will just float into your hand like it was meant to. If the sensors do detect your hand it will rise but as long as your on the full down throttle it just drops down again as it would without the detection. MP

I don't have the Mavic 1 anymore FoxhallGH so it looks like it doesn't work for that AC.
But for the Mavic 2 this method is 10 out of 10 times successful. Just sliding your hand, under a stationary Mavic 2 at teat level. Even better in tripod mode where it remains rock solid even in wind. This way I have total control over the AC.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
A piece of cake without grabbing which is stressing the motors.
Hold your hand out in the shape of the undercarriage (claw-like, not flat palm, sheesh!) and 9 times out of ten it will just float into your hand like it was meant to. If the sensors do detect your hand it will rise but as long as your on the full down throttle it just drops down again as it would without the detection. MP
Is that 'claw-like' as in stick your fingers up so that the tips are within the prop' radius??? Ouch!!!! I'll stick with ground landings thanks. :oops:

Is that 'claw-like' as in stick your fingers up so that the tips are within the prop' radius??? Ouch!!!! I'll stick with ground landings thanks. :oops:
No just shape your hand as if to cup it
_20190205_080828.JPG_20190205_081218.JPG
so there is a firm grip when it touches down. Fingers stay below the battery line.

Last edited:
If you can't slide your hand under the old mavic like you can with the 2, and you have to drop land, it's a shame. But if you have to your hand needs to be like a shallow cup, so the aircraft lands on the basal thumb at the same time as your thumb on the right of the battery and three fingers to the left of the battery and your fourfinger at the back near the to stumpy legs whilst the camera is pointing at you. Is a vid demo needed?

I remember now you don't have to drop it you can slowly raise your hand so the downward sensors don't detect your hand.

Go to this time 3.40

Reactions: SpinItUp
Hand out, stick back and it will land in your hand soft as a feather, just like the air. I am puzzled how people are making this so hard.
I agree. I've never had a problem. I hand catch my Mavic pro on a regular basis when I'm up in the hills. All bracken and gorse.

Reactions: SpinItUp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos