DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This makes me very sad

• Thread starter Deleted member 125445
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his issue is that he wants to see the physical body of the drone at all times and obey the VLOS law. Unfortunately this is nearly impossible if you plan on flying the drone over 300ft at any distance farther than 50ft out, it becomes a speck in the sky at these distances and beyond.
Let me ask you, do you drive at the exact speed limit every time you hop in your car? If not, I suspect you should stop driving and sell your car too.
The actual law states that you need to be able to see the orientation of the drone front or back and I agree that is impossible beyond three or 400 feet

I speed. I fly until the controller loses signal. Go ahead, hate me.
If you ever fly into a manned aircraft (or worse, an airliner) because you choose to act like that, plenty of people will hate you.

I've never had a problem hearing any fixed wing going in and out of the nearby airport that would be in stratum of my drone while remaining in VLOS. I don't know about you, but I've rarely ever identified an aircraft from the FPV of the drone, in fact, I find it very difficult to find the aircraft on my tablet or phone vs what my eyes can see. I think it's rather amazing you can see aircraft before you hear them because that's almost never been the case for me, unless I was visually scanning all sectors of the sky somehow simultaneously looking at my drone and all possible approach vectors, I'm not really sure how that's possible unless the aircraft happens to go across my VLOS, in which case, it's probably already a problem and time for evaluating has passed and actions are needed.

If the drone is 2 miles away, your not going to see the aircraft that's 3 miles away on an approach in the opposite direction of your line of sight. I disagree that there is no real safety advantage in VLOS, and unless all aircraft are now required to transmit ADS-B, I will continue to disagree with you.

I'm a fixed wing pilot. I've spend decades visual scanning for other aircraft and will typically see them before I hear them (helicopters being the exception). I never said anything about flying a drone "2 miles away". The distances I've referenced are hundreds of meters where the drone may be out of sight but not a fixed wing aircraft (1 foot cross section versus 30 foot cross section). I can very well know the general vicinity of my drone BVLOS at 500 meters via the display and still very clearly see manned aircraft. At low altitude we are looking at aircraft flying relative slow. They are not travelling from horizon to horizon at tremendous speed especially below 400 feet so there is no need to scan 360 degrees, just the general area where the drone is located.

I'm a fixed wing pilot. I've spend decades visual scanning for other aircraft and will typically see them before I hear them (helicopters being the exception). I never said anything about flying a drone "2 miles away". The distances I've referenced are hundreds of meters where the drone may be out of sight but not a fixed wing aircraft (1 foot cross section versus 30 foot cross section). I can very well know the general vicinity of my drone BVLOS at 500 meters via the display and still very clearly see manned aircraft. At low altitude we are looking at aircraft flying relative slow. They are not travelling from horizon to horizon at tremendous speed especially below 400 feet so there is no need to scan 360 degrees, just the general area where the drone is located.

I'm sure you are going to see them before you hear them, the cockpit isn't exactly open and the engines pretty much drown out anything you would be able to hear. Also, you're experience, being an actual pilot and all, isn't what the OP has under his belt and we aren't talking about being in a pilot seat, we are talking about the FPV of a drone, which is VERY different from your actual eyeballs. I stand by my statement, flying BVLOS with a drone(not in a cockpit), no matter how slight or whatever you're exactly advocating for because it seems the goal post continually moves, is not just as safe as flying in VLOS.

It's so weird that you would advocate that it's ok to fly BVLOS but also state you should stay in VLOS in your signature. Your skills are borderline super human BTW.

What about fpv freestyle pilots? Unless they do not have their fpv goggles on their head then they can not fly by themselves. They still do fly by themselves with their goggles on and they still can avoid obstacles that some of you couldn’t even do while standing close to your drone and looking directly at it.

What about fpv freestyle pilots? Unless they do not have their fpv goggles on their head then they can not fly by themselves. They still do fly by themselves with their goggles on and they still can avoid obstacles that some of you couldn’t even do while standing close to your drone and looking directly at it.

And that is illegal without a spotter.

No hatred here.
Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
I've broken laws almost daily, my entire life. Even got arrested at 14 for drinking a beer on the beach. Some people just think that they are superior to others, and never ever break any laws. I guarantee you they have.
This hobby is really not for Jim. Law is law. If I know where you return it I'll try to buy it as open box. This drone is practically new and as open box cheaper.
The drone was returned to Amazon, and they have already received it back. It is in great shape. You also might be able to buy the 256 GB Sandisk microSD card open box that I returned with it (with the drone pictures I forgot to erase!)

I have wanted to fly a drone for years. When I finally made the decision to purchase my first drone a few weeks ago, I purchased the Mavic Air 2. The drone is great, and I had no trouble flying it. However, after only two days of flight, I realized I would not be able to abide by the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I soon realized that keeping the drone so close that I could actually see it was not going to be something that appealed to me. I do not want to reignite an argument over VLOS. The law is clear – you much be able to see your drone while flying it. I could have chosen to fly and simply ignore that rule, but I prefer to act within the law. So with a heavy heart, I returned the drone for a refund. Maybe someday that part of the FAA law will be updated or removed, but I am not holding my breath. I just have to accept the current situation and move on. My loss.
Can't you use evlos or extended vlos, where partners equipped with radio follow the flight. see picture.Flights-in-the-visual-range-VLOS-extended-visual-line-of-sight-EVLOS-and-beyond_Q640.jpg

Totally disagree with the premise. In my experience, having flown out of sight on numerous occasions before I stopped doing it, I discovered how much I can capture by just going straight up to around 200 feet and flying in a very close area for both video and stills. It is amazing what a change in perspective can do to a photo. This is especially good for travel photography. You can capture your lodge, and vistas that would be impossible from ground level.

All of the attached photos were taken just above my head.
I love your pics, and agree that you can get great pics and video flying VLOS. However, VLOS regulations are not workable for people like me who would also like to fly beyond VLOS and explore.

Can't you use evlos or extended vlos, where partners equipped with radio follow the flight. see picture.View attachment 103628

That has been a grey area in the US. 107.31 is self-contradictory on this.

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:​
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;​
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;​
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and​
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.​
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:​
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or​
(2) A visual observer.​

107.31(a) states that the RPIC, VO and pilot must all be able to see the aircraft throughout the entire flight, but 107.31(b) states that either the pilot or the VO are required to be able to see it.

Originally the FAA stated that the VO(s) must be co-located with the pilot and that the pilot, but I've seen more recent statements that confirm that the VO may be remote from the pilot provided that they have solid comms.

This provision only applies to Part 107 operations though - the recreational exception explicitly states that the VO must be co-located with the pilot.

Reactions: dawgpilot
FAA rules and regulations are placed to enforce safe operations. That is a good thing. Obviously you need to be rationale about following the rules. I am going to drive 35 mph in a congested area when the speed is posted at 35mph because that is the safe thing to do. But when I am in the wide open country...no one around...I am going to do 70mph in a 60mph zone!

If you ever fly into a manned aircraft (or worse, an airliner) because you choose to act like that, plenty of people will hate you.
Tough decision, I’m sure
Can't you use evlos or extended vlos, where partners equipped with radio follow the flight. see picture.View attachment 103628
I would normally fly alone, so it is not important to me to involve other people as observers. My understanding of the law is that visual observers have to be standing directly next to the operator, but I am definitely no expert.

FAA rules and regulations are placed to enforce safe operations. That is a good thing. Obviously you need to be rationale about following the rules. I am going to drive 35 mph in a congested area when the speed is posted at 35mph because that is the safe thing to do. But when I am in the wide open country...no one around...I am going to do 70mph in a 60mph zone!
Someone in this group will probably criticize you for using situational ethics, or tell you your example is not relevant to flying a drone.

Reactions: TheRock
I think the free feeling of flying is so seductive to we humans, one taste of it and we want more. Aye on the over riding principal being situational awareness. Sometimes that means public safety will be better if a drone is sent back to mfr rather than involving innocents in hazards.

study of what is required to understand the airspace is eye opening. Possibly the speeding analogy is useful in a narrow sense- if your in the middle of no where, you probably can get away with anything because there is no one around but cows- and they don’t care.

Adherence to the VLOS guidance should line up very closely with one’s desire to not loose their expensive drone. If I felt confident that I have a good sense of what is going on in the section of airspace; that I have experienced many hours of controlled VLOS flight skills, and that I was able to control my fear (of losing my investment or hurting anyone)- then on that uncloudy day I just might go beyond the pale just for a wee bit.

I think the free feeling of flying is so seductive to we humans, one taste of it and we want more. Aye on the over riding principal being situational awareness. Sometimes that means public safety will be better if a drone is sent back to mfr rather than involving innocents in hazards.

study of what is required to understand the airspace is eye opening. Possibly the speeding analogy is useful in a narrow sense- if your in the middle of no where, you probably can get away with anything because there is no one around but cows- and they don’t care.

Adherence to the VLOS guidance should line up very closely with one’s desire to not loose their expensive drone. If I felt confident that I have a good sense of what is going on in the section of airspace; that I have experienced many hours of controlled VLOS flight skills, and that I was able to control my fear (of losing my investment or hurting anyone)- then on that uncloudy day I just might go beyond the pale just for a wee bit.
Someone in this group will probably condemn you for flying even a wee bit beyond the pale. That might also be the same person who gets into a car and drives drunk, which has a far greater chance of injuring someone than flying a drone.

Someone in this group will probably condemn you for flying even a wee bit beyond the pale. That might also be the same person who gets into a car and drives drunk, which has a far greater chance of injuring someone than flying a drone.

These nonsense straw man arguments are getting very tiresome. We get it - what you want to do with a drone is not legal, so you sent it back. Now stop trolling.

These nonsense straw man arguments are getting very tiresome. We get it - what you want to do with a drone is not legal, so you sent it back. Now stop trolling.
Not a troll here, sorry you feel that way. Feel free to ignore my posts if you don't want to read them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini