DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Thought this was going to be the last thing my AIR2 ever saw today.

Fortunately I guess it was just curious!!

View attachment 120204

Also caught this awesome gyrocopter guy passing by me (at 75ft elevation) with my DLSR but my drone was too far away to give chase!

View attachment 120205
Interesting, almost every time I fly I attract vultures!! They get pretty close but no interactions so far, I normally land as quick as possible and let them have thier sky!

Reactions: fullbore and JackL
I'd say your drone was not in much danger from that Turkey Vulture. They prefer their meals dead, so keep your battery charged.

lol, perfect. I have never seen such enormous numbers of Turkey Vultures in one place at one time. They were soaring really low and fast in big groups up and down the Middle Keys right where I was flying. They must be migrating south or actually wintering in the Keys.

• Haha
Reactions: kendrex
Interesting, almost every time I fly I attract vultures!! They get pretty close but no interactions so far, I normally land as quick as possible and let them have thier sky!
Good point A.O. We are in THEIR airspace. Birds survive by flying/ hunting/looking for food. We're just up their with our drones having fun. Absolutely, we should respect the birds, of all sizes, and leave their territories alone if they appear bothered by our drones presence. Starlings are the only birds in our area here in east Texas that have "attacted" my drone while flying. When this has happens, I know I'm near their nests. So, I leave and fly somewhere else.

Reactions: JackL and A.O.
I'd worry about the raptors, specifically Peregrine falcons for me. I've have a few real close calls with them and there is nothing you can do if they are diving on you. . . way too fast, 200+ MPH. Usually I just see them on the footage later they are so fast! Even when I flew INSANELY fast 100+ dynamic soaring RC gliders, the only escape was a tight fast loop. One of the wildest and coolest experiences I have ever had.

I'd say your drone was not in much danger from that Turkey Vulture. They prefer their meals dead, so keep your battery charged.
That's why I laughed at the GEICO commercial where the turtles are worried about a vulture perched over them.

Wow that is truly stunning. Awesome video. I was out there once 20 years ago and was really blown away. It is so different from completely flat sandy Florida where I am from. Really looking forward to making it out there again.

I have had that happen to, although more so with my R/C sailplanes... my theory is they are always looking for lift, so if they see me circling or even just maintaining altitude (like with my drone) they come to see if they too can get a free ride up.... but that only my theory. I have had Raptors be aggressive towards me during mating season, then I have also been able to fly right up to a Red Tail hawk perched on top of a 200 foot granite boulder pile and he did not even flinch or care I was there. Note: Apparently Turkey Vulture ARE Raptors, but are not "birds of prey"... hence non-aggressive and eat the spoils of others work.

Reactions: A.O.
Thanx... about 2 miles from the house. Sedona is prettier...

Great video, I love to fly the Sedona area.... Some of the best topography in the West. (although I'm usually doing commercial work when I'm there to fly). It looks like the Sedona Airport is still not on LAANC authorizations? I'm assuming you still have to go to the Airport website and do a "drone flight notification"? (Just noticing Coffee Pot is only 1.5 miles from the airport). I wish they were on LAANC, I'd probably fly more in that area if they were...

Found the link to the Sedona Airport UAS page.

Last edited:
I have had that happen to, although more so with my R/C sailplanes... my theory is they are always looking for lift, so if they see me circling or even just maintaining altitude (like with my drone) they come to see if they too can get a free ride up.... but that only my theory. I have had Raptors be aggressive towards me during mating season, then I have also been able to fly right up to a Red Tail hawk perched on top of a 200 foot granite boulder pile and he did not even flinch or care I was there. Note: Apparently Turkey Vulture ARE Raptors, but are not "birds of prey"... hence non-aggressive and eat the spoils of others work.
I am quite sure that vulture theory is true, I've been a long term glider pilot, manned and unmanned/RC. The reverse also happens to be true, LOL. One time paragliding in Argentina we soared out over the SCARIEST mountains near Bariloche and were sinking out down to a ski resort parking lot, BINGO. This huge condor was lazily circling nearby and we pounced on his thermal! He did not seem to care as he climbed right through us, show off, and wow, was that one big bird, biggest I think I've ever seen and I've flown with many.

I used to fly gliders and often shared thermals with hawks, buzzards, and eagles. They're not good about honoring the idea that everyone in a thermal ought to be circling in the same direction. They typically didn't seem to mind me being with them, though one hawk did open his beak and extend his talons when I got too close.

One evening after flying several of us were talking about locating thermals and a couple of folks suggested looking for circling birds. My old English glider instructor, Derek, responded that the smart birds in the area had learned to watch for him to point out the best thermals.

Reactions: Karlewski
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections