DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on this "VLOS" Ken Heron video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iReviewFrozenDinners

Reactions
Hey, just wanted to see what y'all think about this video Ken Heron posted and then delisted a couple of days ago.

Not trying to stir anything, but I do think there's definitely a discussion to be had about the actual hazards of flying BVLOS and what it actually means and what it means for future regulations. Let me know if this belongs in sUAS Rules & Regulations, just figured this was a better fit considering that it's pretty clear where the current US regulations stand on this.

Take a look, he does discuss it on his weekly YT shows #231 as well which leads to some friction between him and one of his hosts.

Just curious to hear what you guys think,

I personally have no issues with it. But I've seen members get really angry seeing videos like this. Sometimes admin will delete the thread. The O.P. is often accused of click baiting for posting videos like this. I hope you don't get any discipline points.

I personally have no issues with it. But I've seen members get really angry seeing videos like this. Sometimes admin will delete the thread. The O.P. is often accused of click baiting for posting videos like this. I hope you don't get any discipline points.
I didn't make the video nor do I endorse it, just wanted to hear some other drone pilots' opinions. As for discipline points, it really doesn't matter to me lol. I'm here to have a discussion about this and see others' opinions, if admins don't want that here, I can leave and not lose any sleep over it lol.

Again, not trying to stir anything, it's pretty clear where the rules stand, just wanted to get some perspective from others.

I really enjoy the youtube personalities involved, and all of them greatly contribute to the community. I am a little discouraged to see them bust VLOS rules but I would not go and finger-wag them. Each of them has to manage the risks they take. At the end of the day, the pilot has the responsiblity.

People will do what people do. I personally get much better footage by staying within line of sight. I also feel much more comfortable while floating a couple G around when I can see it. I also like to follow the rules to help insure I can fly again tomorrow.

Ive watched a few of his videos, pretty good stuff. I didnt watch the one you posted, but i dont think its a good idea. Especailly the title of it. Gives a bad impression to new drone pilots, like myself. Hey look at how far i can fly this thing.
Stuff like that will only lead to more regulations and my head is spinning enough already, lol.

I didn't make the video nor do I endorse it, just wanted to hear some other drone pilots' opinions. As for discipline points, it really doesn't matter to me lol. I'm here to have a discussion about this and see others' opinions, if admins don't want that here, I can leave and not lose any sleep over it lol.

Again, not trying to stir anything, it's pretty clear where the rules stand, just wanted to get some perspective from others.
Like you’ve been here long enough to know by posting that it
was going to to start a mess ( Not trying to stir anything )
🙄
As far as you saying ( if admins don’t want that here,I can leave
and not lose no sleep over it lol)
I find very disrespectful.
And as DoomMeister said AnyMore talk of it will result from anyone
will not only be deleted but warnings issued.
Want to discuss that and that’s for anyone do so in a message to
one of the staff. Not in a thread.
Carry on but please stay civil and respect our guidelines.
dc

Ken Heron is doing some first degree click baiting. It's disappointing given that he often creates some good content. This is just teenage-level, "Hey! Watch this!" No skill. No finesse. No magic. And a shortage of good judgement.

If you're going to risk having a two-pound lump of hardware cruising around on low batteries, do it over some place where there aren't people walking - over the ocean instead of over a boardwalk.

Last edited:
I did notice one or more comments on the actual youtube channel that the video had been "reported"

I did notice one or more comments on the actual youtube channel that the video had been "reported"
Not surprising. His channel stats must be flagging so he resorts to stupid to try bringing them back up. This type of blatant disregard for the rules just encourages Congress to have the FAA adopt ever more stringent regulations.

Videos from high profile YouTubers which flaunt the rules and taunt the FAA are just asking for trouble. I think that this particular video is getting enough attention that it will force the FAA to sanction Billy Kyle, the pilot even though it is Ken Heron's video. I like everyone involved but this is a fast moving vehicle headed toward a cliff.

I think it's pretty disappointing to see people promoting activity like this. With the amount of exposure both of those YouTube channels get, it seems unlikely that the FAA won't investigate. Let's wait and see what happens..

In the meantime, don't run off and try everything you see on the Internet ;)

I hesitated to chime in on this one because I believe the VLOS debate is a dead horse that has been beaten to a pulp, and there‘s really no additional points on either side of the debate that can be made. The rules are the rules, and you either agree or disagree with them for a multitude of reasons that have all been discussed ad nauseam on various platforms. But VLOS is the rule, it’s not going away, and you either abide by it or risk the consequences if you don‘t.

But, since opinions were asked for, I’ll go ahead and give mine. Generally speaking, I agree with the VLOS rule and do my best to abide by it. The very limited FOV you have from the camera of a drone once it goes BVLOS significantly limits your situational awareness, and a multitude of things can happen that can make a drone a serious threat to people and property on the ground. Now, have I, on occasion, gone just beyond VLOS momentarily to get that perfect shot or explore just a bit farther? Of course, and I believe that just about every other drone pilot out there has done the same. VLOS is probably THE most broken rule of flying drones, and I would question the honesty of any drone pilot with any significant number of flight hours under their belt who claimed that they’ve never flown BVLOS. That said, I do always try to mitigate the risk of flying BVLOS by limiting the time, distance, and location of BVLOS flight, and I don’t do it very often. We all bend the rules every now and then, whether it be when flying drones or with any other aspect of life that is governed by a rule. The trick is to be intelligent and mature enough to accurately gauge the risk in each specific situation and make a judgement call accordingly.

All that said, I believe the flight in this video was foolish and much too risky. There were clearly several times when there was flight over people during BVLOS flight. And given that there are often manned aircraft flying at low altitudes along coast lines, I don’t believe that the time and distance of BVLOS flight in this case was at all safe. And flying over a boardwalk where people are walking on 1% battery is beyond irresponsible— it’s blatantly dangerous.

So there is my very long-winded $0.02. 🤓

Hey, just wanted to see what y'all think about this video Ken Heron posted and then delisted a couple of days ago.

Not trying to stir anything, but I do think there's definitely a discussion to be had about the actual hazards of flying BVLOS and what it actually means and what it means for future regulations. Let me know if this belongs in sUAS Rules & Regulations, just figured this was a better fit considering that it's pretty clear where the current US regulations stand on this.

Take a look, he does discuss it on his weekly YT shows #231 as well which leads to some friction between him and one of his hosts.

Just curious to hear what you guys think,
Great back and forth dialog. I like Ken and his show. Billy posts some excellent content too. Clearly the drone was flown BVLOS. Not much to debate.

I'm incredibly disappointed in Ken's decision to not only post this video, but produce it for his channel. I like Ken, and have been on his show more than once. I even invited him to an FAA education roundtable I'm part of.

Sean's video above is an interesting take. Knowing Sean as well (I've been on his show too), I know it took quite a bit for him to put it out. But I'm glad he did.

I'm not sure where this will go, but it's a very good bet that Billy is in trouble with the FAA on this, and Ken will likely be removed from the FAA roundtable. I have not reached out to Ken, and I'm not sure I will. I have in the past (when he did his longe range test a few months ago himself), but I'm not sure where I'll go with this.

I do know that the next steps taken by him will determine if I go back on his show.

Incredibly disappointing.

I too was suprised to see Ken promoting this video. These guys are too high profile. They have a lot of you tube traffic. It's the high profile youtube channels that get noticed by the FAA. I guess we will see if the FAA responds to this down the road.

Reactions: waternut13134
I was surprised to see Ken post this as well...he typically goes out of his way to observe the rules. Maybe he thought that since Billy was the pilot, it was on him. The thing I found most disappointing is that they were actually making fun of the fact that they were beyond VLOS. Basically flaunting the rules. As another poster said, we all do this from time to time, but hopefully we are not brazen enough to post it on the Internet.

Reactions: Wade L.
I know a lot of the long time forum members have most certainly endlessly debated this. I am newer to the forum and appreciate the discourse I have picked up here. I initially commented on this above and think my opinon has fermented and I am more disappointed than I was initally.

The new consideration I am noting here in this post is that timing is everything. This is a time of year when there are lots of new entries to the drone community. Many new drones under the Christmas tree means lots of new fliers who do not know the rules, and they may be seeking out guidance on the subject of drones for the first time on Youtube and other media. The actions in the video are not something that should be emulated.

On the plus side, it sounds like all involved regret their actions. Hopefully this is a case of lesson learned and as a result the overall mission of improved safety progresses forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78