DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on using a device within the controller arms or a larger device?

Which do you use with your Mavic?

• Smaller device within the controller arms

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Larger device on a separate holder

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters

Johnmcl7

Reactions
I prefer using a dedicated device for my Mavic which are currently older phones but had an issue recently with a faulty battery in the phone so now looking to get a newer dedicated device. I've been looking at newer phones like an Honor 8X Max or a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 but I'm paying for a lot of features I don't need and the newer reduced bezel designs don't seem a good idea since part of them needs to sit within the arms.

I started looking at Android tablets that would fit within the controller arms but there's not many these days and they're mostly low performance, budget orientated devices. The Nvidia Shield was a popular device but aside from getting old now and discontinued, it doesn't fit within the arms as far as I'm aware, similarly the Huawei Mediapad M5 while it is a current tablet, also doesn't fit within the arms. The Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 4GB/64GB looks ideal as it works well with DJI Go and it fits within the controller arms but it's not available within the UK and I'm fed up dealing with several importers who have let me down. As the price has crept up I'm less comfortable with paying a decent chunk of money for something with no warranty and no official Google support.

A good deal on the 10in Galaxy Tab S3 caught my eye which I've bought and it arrived today but seeing the size of it I'm not sure it's a good idea. I mostly take the Mavic out on walks so I'd need to assemble the tablet holder and tablet each time plus carry the bits in a small backpack. My long winded question is how practical do people find this setup, there's plenty people doing it but I'm also wondering are there those who have tried this setup and decided to go back to a device within the controller arms?

I have struggled with the same issues. I have used several different phones and tablets. Software updates from DJI have made some of them unusable. My Nexus 7 tablet worked well and would barely fit in the arms. I made a folding mount for it to hold it up above the arms and tilt it at a better angle so that it was not pointed straight up at the sky.
Mount for Nexus 7 2013???
I also experimented with a 10" tablet mounted separate from the controller: MOUNT HOLDER that doesn't hide remote?
At the moment, I am back to using my Honor 6X phone but I am still looking for a better solution.
The problem I have found with most tablets is the screens are not really bright enough to see in sunlight. The manufacturers don't publish brightness specs. I don't want to have to carry and install a hood or a heavy mount for the tablet. The Galaxy Tab S3 looks good but pricey.

I'm not keen with these holders obscuring the RC LCD screen or placing the tablet so much higher above the RC.
It works great for me. The balance is right and all the info from the RC is on the tablet. If I need to see the RC display (rare) it just takes a slight tip to view it.

For me it depends on the type of flying I'm doing/mission.

If I'm just flying around casually for fun, trying to be inconspicuous or traveling light I use my Samsung Note 9 or iPhone 7+ in the arms. The iPhone is dedictated for drone use whereas the Note has a far superior and brighter screen.

If I'm flying with purpose, wanting a good view or setting up a mapping mission I prefer to use my iPad Air 2, also a dedicated device, usually with a Hoodman mounted to a Mavmount. I find this setup a bit cumbersome, heavy and a bit ridiculous looking but the extra screen realestate sure is nice. If I really want to get serious, I'll set the iPad up on a tripod while also utilize the Hoodman.

I'll buy a iPad Mini 5 as soon as it's announced strictly for the drone. That's the perfect form factor IMHO but my Mini 2 is showing its age so I no longer use it.

I briefly used a CrystalSky Ultra-Bright, but returned it when the backlight blew out within a week of ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnmcl7
Thanks for the replies, I can see the advantage of having a larger display and better balanced in the middle but then I do worry it's going to be too cumbersome.

I'm not keen on Apple anyway but the ipad Mini 4's are now pricey and they're getting on a bit, even if they were replaced I wouldn't be prepared to pay the premium for them for what I want to do with it.

I'm in the UK so quite a few of the recommendations I've seen here for tablet holders are not available here, how does this one look:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KUUQA-Alum...549497417&sr=8-6&keywords=mavic+tablet+holder

Last edited:
I prefer minimal equipment. For me this makes the experience more enjoyable simply because of reduced set up time; particularly with the tablet holder, and extra bags, or cases.

However, my ultimate set up is a CS on a tripod, but that's a lot of equipment and extra time that reduces the enjoyment, for me.

So, ipad mini 4 is my preferred set up

Reactions: NAVMAV
I prefer minimal equipment. For me this makes the experience more enjoyable simply because of reduced set up time; particularly with the tablet holder, and extra bags, or cases.

Have you tried a tablet holder at all or just decided it's not for you? My thoughts are similar to yours in that I generally want to keep it simple and quick but then at the same time I've always found the screen position below the controller awkward. I also realise people use their Mavics differently, some more mobile and some more from a fixed position.

I've got 14 days to return the tablet as long as I don't put any marks on it so I'm leaning towards ponying up for a holder and just giving it ago. I thought the poll would be more even but the fact it's heavily weighted towards the tablet holder is quite convincing.

John

Reactions: Tsimonsma
Have you tried a tablet holder at all or just decided it's not for you? My thoughts are similar to yours in that I generally want to keep it simple and quick but then at the same time I've always found the screen position below the controller awkward. I also realise people use their Mavics differently, some more mobile and some more from a fixed position.

I've got 14 days to return the tablet as long as I don't put any marks on it so I'm leaning towards ponying up for a holder and just giving it ago. I thought the poll would be more even but the fact it's heavily weighted towards the tablet holder is quite convincing.

John
Yes, I have used a couple of different tablet holders, and a tripod.

They work fine. However, they are just that much more equipment that requires cases, set up, and lugging around, and while neither is that big a deal, it is just 'one more thing'.

For some reason the simplicity of drone, monitor, and controller just resonates with me. Keeping it minimal enables me to just use the bag, and everything is included in the bag. For me, it's more relaxing not having to wonder if I remembered everything.

Regarding the position, it's never bothered me. I rarely look at the telemetry on the controller, so having a monitor block that information had not bothered me. I would actually prefer the phone, but the screen is too small, even though it's brighter, so ipad mini 4.

From my experience, and I have plenty, ios is far superior to android for DJI drones. Others will no doubt disagree. I had never used an ios device before flying a drone.

hope that helps

Another vote for the I-Pad Mini 4. Bumped up from an I-fone 6 se, but still fits perfectly inside the RC arms with no drop-out Fears.

Same goes for Compatibility. Priceless.

Not cheap, but neither is Peace of Mind.

Rgds, NAVMAV

I found the Android app was problematic when the original Mavic was first released but they seemed to quickly fix the problems and in all the times I've flown since, I've had no issues. IOS devices are not completely free from problems either.

Even aside from disliking Apple and IOS, the Mini 4 doesn't make sense to buy at the moment as it's very old in technology terms and likely approaching end of life yet despite that it still commands a hefty premium. In fact a similar ipad 32GB LTE to the Tab S3 I bought is much the same price despite the far higher spec of the Samsung. It's definitely not an alternative I'm considering.

Last edited:
While I am still waiting on the latest software to be released for it I use the larger Crystalsky ($600 version, which is about 30x as bright as iPhone or iPad and is touchscreen) on a PolarPro mount. CrystalSky is android based, not my personal favorite, but with all the Afonso stripped it does the job well and intuitively. Ot’s the most balanced and easily adjustable that I have found. I can assemble/disassemble and store in less than 60 seconds without rushing. All info and capabilities are on the CS and much easier to see and use (camera view is full screen) than the small controller. It also works with my Spark. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Is that unit 8in size? Am I right in saying the Polar Pro mount is specific to the CrystalSky? I've seen the PolarPro tablet mount for sale which is more expensive but seems to get mixed views, I don't mind paying a bit more for it if it's a better mount to use although I've not seen much of it when researching.

PP makes mounts for any device you can name.

Yeah, I've found the bigger one but it doesn't seem to get great reviews so I was wondering the CrystalSky one is much different or just a bit smaller. That said a lot of the review seemed to be complaining more about the price rather than the actual performance of the unit.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle