DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Three Minutes of Terror! - A Droner's Cautionary Tale

Dawgonit PBDawg that was frustrating for you - but you prevailed by talking yourself through it and not panicking (too much LOL)
Thanks for the practical lesson and what can I say but... - I hope that next time that you can get it up...so to speak!
Safe flying and safe sextanting mate ...from Down Under.

Excellent video. I felt your tension... and the relief right along with you.

When I started flying helicopters in the mid-60's, a pilot wasn't considered "safe" in the commercial world until he/she had about 1,000 flight hours. In other words until they'd had enough of these experiences to sober 'em up (speaking figuratively, of course.)

Like the old saying goes, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots..."

Dawgonit PBDawg that was frustrating for you - but you prevailed by talking yourself through it and not panicking (too much LOL)
Thanks for the practical lesson and what can I say but... - I hope that next time that you can get it up...so to speak!
Safe flying and safe sextanting mate ...from Down Under.
Thanks mate, really appreciate the positive feedback!

Excellent video. I felt your tension... and the relief right along with you.

When I started flying helicopters in the mid-60's, a pilot wasn't considered "safe" in the commercial world until he/she had about 1,000 flight hours. In other words until they'd had enough of these experiences to sober 'em up (speaking figuratively, of course.)

Like the old saying goes, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots..."
Thank you davefabik. I'm getting older while trying not to get any bolder. Experiences like mine are helping to keep my boldness in check!

Do-de-do-do-do-do d'oh! Loved it! That same expression has come out of my mouth right before imminent disaster several times. I was surprised by that same altitude limitation at take off( the app automatically updated and I was unaware) and I wasted a lot of flight time trying to get to settings while the bird hovered. When I got there I set it for 400 meters (maxed out) thinking it was the old 400 feet setting I had previously used.
I also got another notice that the craft was too far away for VLOS, but I use Firehouse strobes and had full view of where the drone was. I was able to control past that warning and continued a series of mountain/gorge flights. It was annoying having to reset the altitude limit each time I launched, but I realized that by setting it I was able to fly about 300' altitude above contour and on my longest flight I gained nearly 1600' elevation with a max distance of around 2300'! It was a steep cascade.
Maintaining the 300' altitude to stay in compliance with US regs was easy going uphill by watching trees in the viewer, coming downhill in compliance was much more challenging because of the change in perspective. As a side note, all these flights started at 12,000' + elevation, Red Mountain Pass, Colorado. Flight times were reduced about 2 minutes with moderate winds, I didn't have any trouble with GPS.
I don't do much post production, but I should get at the bottom of the learning curve and post segments of these flights. It was a learning experience. Unfortunately my work schedule and weather has kept my flight time too limited this year so I was very rusty.
I had been frustrated by the 400' altitude restriction to climbing up and flying down, much as you did flying the creek. This opens up all the opportunities I wanted to be able to take when I bought my Mavic Air.
Enjoyed the video, enjoyed the commentary, and have noted all the recommendations. Thanks for posting.

• Love
Reactions: Rchawks and PBDawg
Haha loved it. Well done tale - we laughed we cried. Also a good public service announcement - check the dials before you take off! Man there should be a checklist.

I especially enjoyed the early flight when everything was going well, the bucolic lull of flutes from Peer Gynt Suite playing over the image of that babbling creek. Then, the horror!

Reactions: Rchawks
Haha loved it. Well done tale - we laughed we cried. Also a good public service announcement - check the dials before you take off! Man there should be a checklist.

I especially enjoyed the early flight when everything was going well, the bucolic lull of flutes from Peer Gynt Suite playing over the image of that babbling creek. Then, the horror!
Thank you Andrew. You summarized the event perfectly!

Do-de-do-do-do-do d'oh! Loved it! That same expression has come out of my mouth right before imminent disaster several times. I was surprised by that same altitude limitation at take off( the app automatically updated and I was unaware) and I wasted a lot of flight time trying to get to settings while the bird hovered. When I got there I set it for 400 meters (maxed out) thinking it was the old 400 feet setting I had previously used.
I also got another notice that the craft was too far away for VLOS, but I use Firehouse strobes and had full view of where the drone was. I was able to control past that warning and continued a series of mountain/gorge flights. It was annoying having to reset the altitude limit each time I launched, but I realized that by setting it I was able to fly about 300' altitude above contour and on my longest flight I gained nearly 1600' elevation with a max distance of around 2300'! It was a steep cascade.
Maintaining the 300' altitude to stay in compliance with US regs was easy going uphill by watching trees in the viewer, coming downhill in compliance was much more challenging because of the change in perspective. As a side note, all these flights started at 12,000' + elevation, Red Mountain Pass, Colorado. Flight times were reduced about 2 minutes with moderate winds, I didn't have any trouble with GPS.
I don't do much post production, but I should get at the bottom of the learning curve and post segments of these flights. It was a learning experience. Unfortunately my work schedule and weather has kept my flight time too limited this year so I was very rusty.
I had been frustrated by the 400' altitude restriction to climbing up and flying down, much as you did flying the creek. This opens up all the opportunities I wanted to be able to take when I bought my Mavic Air.
Enjoyed the video, enjoyed the commentary, and have noted all the recommendations. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Mavic Air Head for your kind words and for all of the interesting anecdotes, facts and things to think about. I do hope that you are able to post some clips of your videos. They sound spectacular!

Reactions: Mavic Air Head

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31