DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time to buy, could use experienced help from you!

This thread is very interesting as people give real life experiences and feelings. Being a regular camera guy for years I was excited to take my photography to a higher level (I know, the worst pun) and bought a phantom crashed it twice. Bought a $100 palm sized drone and taught my old hands how stick movement resulted in drone movement. This was about five years ago. Since then I have owned phantoms, an inspire 1 an inspire 2, and a Mavic1. When I bought a Mavic 2 Pro I had finally found the perfect drone and camera for me. All the others have been sold. After using ipads for years I bought the ultra bright 7.85 inch crystal sky. My first UB did have the over heating problem and DJI replaced it. No such problems with the new one after months of use. I bought the smart controller and enjoyed the portability but after a few flights I realized that the size and brightness of my UB was what my old eyes appreciated. Shooting stills in raw with my Mavic 2 Pro has given me the quality I wanted. I am still on a steep learning curve with Premiere Pro but I have several half decent videos on Vimeo, Facebook and YouTube.

Welcome to this forum. The help I have received here has greatly increased my enjoyment of flying.

Reactions: xlur8ed
Thanks all, interesting bits on the OS for the SC.... I think we will agree to disagree, however yes, I agree Google Play will likely never come, but that wasn't where I was going...

Anyways, thanks all, my decision was made and partly due to your help! Thanks so much for your time!

You can certainly write an informative post Jason..!
Welcome..much like yourself up to the point where u said u could handle 'simple editing software' lol..! It eludes me to this day..i used to be great with 2x video casssettes, 2x turntables/mixer, and a portable TV...
Digital/screen based stuff seems so endlessly convoluted and footery, as we would say...
This group has been fantastic as a resource, and i will look forward to future posts from u.!
My Enterprise Dual has been fantastic so far....flir shots have been superb and can make for some unique takes on the everyday..
I do not like the businesslike approach of the Pilot app...fun extracted for extra cost left me feeling a little burned...
With hindsight, i would have gone for a Zoom..
Anyway ...happy flying.!
Gav

Unless you plan to fly in a lot of low light situations, I would consider the MP1 with low number of battery charges i.e. hardly used.
You will likely only have to pay about $500, then, after learning, be able to sell for $500. Then, buy the more expensive drones. Search the classifieds through this forum, to find current prices. Recently, there was an MP1 offered for $500.

you don't know about color correction, color grading, and editing, so a fantastic camera may be more than you need, and there is a lot to learn should you decide to go that route.

I don't own an M2P, but do own the MP1, so I'm not sure if this is true, or not. My understanding is that the color profile options on the M2P are considerably less than those on the MP1. That said, you can use the MP1 color profile True Color raise the sharpness by 1, and toy around with saturation and contrast to find what you like. In that way, you will only need to edit should you so choose to.

I balk at the M2P because it's significantly larger in weight, the batteries are almost twice the cost, yet offer immaterial flight time gains. The MP1 is comparatively inexpensive used, so crashes are far less a concern (you can search for private drone owner insurance if that's a concern), so you can learn more interesting video maneuvers at considerably less financial risk. Also, while the 1" sensor is four times the size of the MP1, it is still a small sensor. Finally, being an aerial camera, even on cloudy days there is a LOT of light, so much so, that we have to put sunglasses on the lens to lower the frame rate. We lower the frame rate to capture the elusive motion blur, which I have yet to realize materially, and I've tried.

Also, if you opt for the very capable MP1, the money you saved can go toward an high brightness crystalsky (DJI). This is the same brightness as the DJI SC, but it sells for about 550 to 650 used, and be significantly larger in screen size.

If you do buy a Crystal sky high brightness 7.85" monitor, consider buying a $29 tripod adapter from Mavmount. You can then put the monitor on a tripod, which is a bicep saver.

My thoughts

You all are so great! So often forums offer "I own this, so you should too, welcome to the forum". You guys and gals have been very fair to me and the platform! My hope...prayer is that this is the first if many drones. That I find a passion for flying and capturing stunning photos improving every flight and learning an ounce more everytime I enter the editing software. I'm happy to know I'm objectively starting with a really nice piece of equipment that will allow me years to grow into. I'd feel pretty bummed if I bought something I could master in a month!

Thanks again all, I'm so excited to get to know more of you through your experiences with drones as well as mine!

Reactions: Dronage
Love My Mavic 2 Pro w/ smart remote. No regrets, Love every minute and not bummed about a single cent. Only... Only conplaint isss... customer service (look out ??) Other than that Dji has a hard case for it that works great for me, when i travel (with the exception of the new controller, you have to modify a tad) however just for a quick on the go flight, the carry bag you get with the flymore package fits MY BABY, the controller 3 barltteries and a few small nick nacks and were off, Have fun, learn a lot be safe

The thing I like about the bag is that it is small enough to fit in another bag, and if you carry it on its own it doesn’t scream “DRONE!”.

Well, I bought the whole shabang and ultimately found that I can't fly out of my home (I'm an idiot on a few different levels here), which limits my ability to use it...and this last weekend, while hosting a garage sale with the Mrs. we both decided at about the exact same time that we both want another child. I will be posting my entire setup for sale in the classifieds with about 2 hours of flight time on it. I appreciate the help and advice, and ultimately my ignorance will end up costing me a couple hundred dollars...of which I did have some fun flying the rig so it isn't a complete waste. Thanks again all for the guidance!

Well, I bought the whole shabang and ultimately found that I can't fly out of my home (I'm an idiot on a few different levels here), which limits my ability to use it...and this last weekend, while hosting a garage sale with the Mrs. we both decided at about the exact same time that we both want another child. I will be posting my entire setup for sale in the classifieds with about 2 hours of flight time on it. I appreciate the help and advice, and ultimately my ignorance will end up costing me a couple hundred dollars...of which I did have some fun flying the rig so it isn't a complete waste. Thanks again all for the guidance!
it is indeed a sad ending to this story. the issue why you cannot fly - drone does not take off at all as you are in the direct descent path or very near to the airport zone?
or is it just something you see in the airmap app that tells you not to fly?

it is indeed a sad ending to this story. the issue why you cannot fly - drone does not take off at all as you are in the direct descent path or very near to the airport zone?
or is it just something you see in the airmap app that tells you not to fly?

Says something like 'Cannot Fly - No Fly Zone' - Then allows me to request permission and asks me 3 questions of which I have to check the boxes, and on 2 occassions I was able to take off, but on 10 occassions, I just kept trying to get it to let me fly and it wouldn't. The airport in question is a dinky airport that I'm not certain is even in use anymore.

Says something like 'Cannot Fly - No Fly Zone' - Then allows me to request permission and asks me 3 questions of which I have to check the boxes, and on 2 occassions I was able to take off, but on 10 occassions, I just kept trying to get it to let me fly and it wouldn't. The airport in question is a dinky airport that I'm not certain is even in use anymore.
well, this is not an ideal scenario. dinky or not - airports are to be respected.
this drone does now have a NFZ removal software available, but, i do not think it is a good idea to use it near to airports, i would not advice that. it may bring too many potential troubles.

well, this is not an ideal scenario. dinky or not - airports are to be respected.
this drone does now have a NFZ removal software available, but, i do not think it is a good idea to use it near to airports, i would not advice that. it may bring too many potential troubles.
Thanks for the information. The complete setup is now listed in the classifieds and I will not be attempting to fly it until it sells strictly out of good faith measures for the sale. It's in mint condition, so I intend to keep it that way in its case :)

Well, the airport scenario might have been able to be worked around, with either existing or upcoming changes to rules and ability to fly such places permanently or with relative ease (from what I've read here . . . but you decision is made and while it will cost (hopefully) a small amount for the pleasure of a few flights, who knows, one day you might re-enter the world of drones with another M2P or other such.

I will say, you must not be thrilled with the joys of drone ownership / flight, as after my first flight, there was no way I could have sold my MP so quickly . . . probably never will !!
It was hook, line, sinker for me ?

while hosting a garage sale with the Mrs. we both decided at about the exact same time that we both want another child.

Hey all the best with the plan, maybe we'll see you back here sometime down the track again.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom