DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time to get back at it

I don't understand how that can be happening, your drone initializes it barometric setting at power up and it should start at Zero altitude whether you are sitting in death valley, or on Denali (formerly Mount McKinley) the lowest and highest points in the US...).

Does it happen every time you power up, How soon after powering up?

Are you sure you have not set the Maximum Altitude in the Safety Menu, Flight Protection to a low altitude?

Can you send us a screen shot?
Screenshot_20230227_191644.jpg
This was about 3 ft off the ground sitting on my bed.

Reactions: SeaPig
This was about 3 ft off the ground sitting on my bed.
I know this is a serious issue with you and very frustrating, but excuse me a moment while I add a bit of levity to the situation.

You wrote, "This was about 3 ft off the ground sitting on my bed…"

I write, "You must have the Top Bunk…" LoL

OK, I've got that out of my system. I also have a Mini 2 and I live near sea level in Virginia and I do not have any direct experience with this warming. However, as a Mini 2 owner too, I got curious and I did a bit of research.

You wrote that you've updated all the firmware. Now I want you to recalibrate the IMU and the Compass, and maybe do it a couple of times, with a cold boot in between each recalibration.

Make sure you are outside, in the open, away from all possible interference from steel, iron, cars, garage doors, metal picnic tables, etc…

Now, I have to ask, is your Mini 2 bare bones? Have you added anything to increase its weight like: landing gear, navigation lights, strobes, skins, prop guards, anything?

I ask because the IMU, now that its has been recalibrated, decides exactly how much power it sends to each motor. You already live in thinner than normal air at 7,000-feet. If the IMU has to send even more power to the motors (because the drone weighs more) to keep the Drone aloft, it might interpret this as even thinner air or higher attitude a condition called High Density Altitude: A condition of the atmosphere that reduces an aircraft's performance capability to below a level of standard performance at a specified altitude.

That means it doesn't fly well in the rare air…

If you've added anything (except a simple label…), remove it so the Drone is back to its "fighting weight…"

Finally, I hope that one or more of these suggestions have helped.

If not, I know it's no consolation, but you are not alone… About 6-month ago, this very same subject came up and it really did not get resolved…

Below is the link, a lot of members offered suggestions.

Good Luck!

LT Signing Off..

Reactions: wjkrysak
I write, "You must have the Top Bunk…" LoL
I have a very tall bed!!!! Like I need a ladder...!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try tonight to take it out and recalibrate everything and see if that helps.

I do have a skin on it, and as I was reading and searching about the warning the other day, wondered if that was working against me. I assume a cold boot it to turn everything off, fire it all back up again and reconnect. So, I will do that as well.

I know that it will not fix or remove the warning, but I am wondering is the MAS Props would help with the "Rare Air" conditions.

I assume a cold boot it to turn everything off, fire it all back up again and reconnect.
Yes, you are right, My Bad, I forget not everyone thinks like I do… I am an old timey computer programmer whose first PC had memory that was not measured in Petabytes, Terabytes, Gigabytes, or Megabytes, but Kilobytes… That first computer did not have an ENTER Key, but rather a RETURN Key, as in the old typewriter Keys… And as low powered as it was, 512 Kb of ram, two 5-1/4" Floppy Disk Drives (No Hard Drive) cost over $2,000 then and that's about $7.500 today (and again; very little Ram, and no Hard Drive…).

A "Warm Boot" is what is referred to as a "Restart" where the software is just restarted and if there are any issues with the Firmware or bad data in memory, it stays there… and if you had a problem before, it might still be there…

A "Cold Boot" is turning Off the computer (or in your case, your Drone and Controller…) waiting 10-seconds, and then Turning the Computer (your Drone and Controller…) back on.

I just did not want you to do two IMU and Compass Calibrations back to back…

Please let us know if any of these procedures help.

Then, I know it’s a lot to ask because the Skin on your drone is not attached with an adhesive that is intended to be used for easy removal and reattachment, but the added weight of the skin and the altitude that you are at might be just enough of a "straw to break the camel back…"

Good Luck!

Reactions: McGanksta
@LoudThunder
I will do the calibration after the gym tonight and see if that fixes it.
Not ready to ditch the skin just yet, but not opposed to it if it is needed.

The fact that the warning comes on before the drone is in the air makes me question if the weight is triggering it, but I do understand that giving my little guy the best conditions to excel is also a good thing!

PS: Thank you for your service. I was in the Army for 20 years myself.

Reactions: SeaPig
The fact that the warning comes on before the drone is in the air makes me question if the weight is triggering it,
With the warning coming on before you launch also would indicate that weight is not an issue, unless it is an "artifact" that might be erased by the recalibration. Also, do you have any part of the skin that might be covering any of the sensors on the bottom of the Drone?

its this skin
I repeat, are you sure nothing is being covered up. This particular skin was designed for the Japanese Ultra-Lite 199 Gram Mini 2 and I do not know if there are any body modifications or differences between the two models, the US Version at 259 Grams and the Japanese Version at 199 Grams...

If I seem to be overly cautious, it's my Computer Programmer training and experience.. I go to try to fix a "broken" computer and I ask, what is different between now and when it worked properly and they say nothing... I then find out they loaded a new hardware driver and installed a new program... Yeah, no difference...

So, please excuse my skepticism, I am just trying to help you out since your baby is no longer under warranty???

I repeat, are you sure nothing is being covered up. This particular skin was designed for the Japanese Ultra-Lite 199 Gram Mini 2 and I do not know if there are any body modifications or differences between the two models, the US Version at 259 Grams and the Japanese Version at 199 Grams...

If I seem to be overly cautious, it's my Computer Programmer training and experience.. I go to try to fix a "broken" computer and I ask, what is different between now and when it worked properly and they say nothing... I then find out they loaded a new hardware driver and installed a new program... Yeah, no difference...

So, please excuse my skepticism, I am just trying to help you out since your baby is no longer under warranty???
It is all good, I thank you for helping as much as you have.
It turns out there "was" a skin on the bottom, not anymore. I also removed my gimbal shroud
pgytech_p_12a_023_mavic_mini_lens_hood_1626444403_1601851.jpg

did the cold calibration and still got the error..this time i opened up and at least have an error number

Screenshot_20230228_181401.jpg

i opened up and at least have an error number
Remember I referenced the DJI Forum previously? Here are some postings from that site concerning your Error Code…

This one above, you might want to copy and paste the Spanish into Google Translate…

This YouTube Video ( above…) mentions Old Propellers and the difference with New Propellers… He also mentions that you should not mix propellers from different packages (Balanced???) the New Propeller packages that I have do not have this warning, only use the new screws…

I will read the post tomorrow
I have new props on the way and decent jewelry scale to match them as best I can

I did order 2 sets of the MAS props...so we will see what happens

Put her up in the air for a bit..all seems fine
Snow starts tomorrow and wind so it will have to wait a bit

Reactions: LoudThunder
Welcome back to the Fold…

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

As an "Old, New" Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do that you did not do before…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) . If your Drone weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds) and you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drone.

When I first started flying I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Pilot.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Colorado, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice so you get back into the sport gracefully…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 2, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…
Good advice here.

The Map never opens, but I will say that 95% of the time I am on my low powered and old Chromebook....will try on my desk top .

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1