DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

tips on flying straight

hi all!

I fly a M2Zm and mini2 and am looking for tips on flying a straight line (like a plane). I tend to drift slightly and of course need to correct which is apparent when recording a movie.

thanks in advance for your advice!
Here’s a tip I saw recently but haven’t used yet.

Correcting the drone heading using the left stick on the controller does not look good. The movements are clearly visible, particularly on the horizon.

Instead, use the right stick to move left or right to get your drone back on course.

Make sure you have the stick sensitivities set so any heading adjustments are smooth.

Here's a video that helped me adjust stick smoothness.

Last edited:
Here’s a tip I saw recently but haven’t used yet.
Correcting the drone heading using the left stick on the controller does not look good. The movements are clearly visible, particularly on the horizon.

Instead, use the right stick to move left or right to get your drone back on course.

Make sure you have the stick sensitivities set so any heading adjustments are smooth.
Check this video for adjusting settings for smoother flying.

A few tips that helped me:
1) practice outdoor on days when winds are <7 mph; when you feel more confident, practice on windier days to see if you can keep your craft straight.
2) practice a bit closer to the ground (between 5-25 ft. if possible) and directly in front of you until you get that down and feel that you've mastered flying in straight lines. Lines on the ground definitely help to guide you so you can tell whether you are flying straight or not.
3) Whether you prefer "pinching" or "thumbing" the sticks, know that the amount of pressure you put on DJI sticks is directly proportionate to the speed that it will yaw, pitch, or roll. I didn't realize this at first and I'd tend to drift to the right. Then I learned that I was ever so slightly pushing my RC's right stick to the right, which was making the craft roll to its right.
4) Make sure that you have at least 8 satellites available before you take off whenever possible (ideally > 8). I've found this to make a considerable difference at times.
5) Make sure you're firmware and safety software is up to date via your remote controller/phone app with your drone turned on.
6) I believe that you can calibrate the MIni 2 within the app, but I don't own one, so I'm not sure.

I hope these tips help. Safe flying!
Practicing some box patterns with four 90-degree turns might help, too. Ideally in a place to fly with straight lines on the ground, like a football field or parking lot. Maybe just a long, straight fence, sidewalk, seawall, path, pier, ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard