DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

tips on flying straight

You might consider the our New ! Control Pods Perfect for flying straight and smooth cinematic movements.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. and fly in straight lines.

Last edited:
I think that we all experience the same variances in straight line flight. I think that it has a lot to do with variances in the sensitivity of the stick controllers, and of course, wind. I fly several different types of DJI drones, and I have found that my heavier aircraft (e.g. MA2, P3P), with more powerful motors, tend to track better in straight line flight than do my smaller ones (e.g. MM2, MM3)

Try disabling sideways flight. That should help keeping it flying straight.
thanks for the top… didn’t know that was possible! looking further into it on the DJIforums
didn’t realize I disabled it but will check my settings.

Reactions: LoudThunder
thanks for the top… didn’t know that was possible! looking further into it on the DJIforums
If it is on either of those two models that is news to me, I thought it was only avaialble of the post mini 2 fly app drones.

Anyhow, how are you judging "not flying straight"?
If by the centre of your screen tracking horizontally across the landscape as you approach a target then check the logs to see if the camera and drone are pointing in exactly the same direction. Have a look in the csv's of relevant flight logs for perhaps "OSD.yaw" and "GIMBAL.yaw" or similar.
You might like to have a look at the thread

If it is on either of those two models that is news to me, I thought it was only avaialble of the post mini 2 fly app drones.

If by the centre of your screen tracking horizontally across the landscape as you approach a target then check the logs to see if the camera and drone are pointing in exactly the same direction. Have a look in the csv's of relevant flight logs for perhaps "OSD.yaw" and "GIMBAL.yaw" or similar.
yes… flying toward subject and seeing it drift R/L slightly.
oddly if I pull back I’m better at going straight back🤔

My bad...I may have given a bogus suggestion! I realized after the fact that the aircraft in question were earlier models. My suggestion stands for a M3P or an A2S. Sorry!

hi all!

I fly a M2Zm and mini2 and am looking for tips on flying a straight line (like a plane). I tend to drift slightly and of course need to correct which is apparent when recording a movie.
Are you sure the drone is drifting off course, or do you just think it does?
Have you checked your recorded flight data to confirm whether it really does?
Your gimbal can be adjusted to make the camera point ahead or off to one side.
If your camera is not pointing straight ahead, the drone will appear to be going off course when it isn't.

Are you sure the drone is drifting off course, or do you just think it does?
Have you checked your recorded flight data to confirm whether it really does?
Your gimbal can be adjusted to make the camera point ahead or off to one side.
If your camera is not pointing straight ahead, the drone will appear to be going off course when it isn't.

I’l pretty sure it’s my flying skill… I think of it like those shopping carts where all four wheels pivot as oppose to just the front ones which makes it difficult to steer.
fortunately I don’t film much but it would be nice to be able to fly it in a relatively straight line.

hi all!

I fly a M2Zm and mini2 and am looking for tips on flying a straight line (like a plane). I tend to drift slightly and of course need to correct which is apparent when recording a movie.

thanks in advance for your advice!
Might want to give these a shot.

hi all!

So you’d like to fly straight’like an airplane’? Who told you airplanes fly straight? I tried for 12 years as a commercial SMEL’s charter pilot and, even with a coupled autopilot, ‘straight’ was always a myth. Here’s all I was capable of; air is a ‘mass’ and temperature, wind and terrain rule. So, if you’ve ever tried to fly a basic, non-gps, no gyro drone even forward or up is challenging. Down rules. Modern gyro stabilization is amazing along with mapping and charted waypoints. Refinement to make the newest drone go straight, well, pick your day, no wind and no sun which keeps the air smooth. But, at best, you know what you’re after re. cinema.
What is suggest, and something I’m finding works is Post Processing using some of the latest Topaz software, Sharpen AI or Gigapixel AI. Davinci Resolve has a free version with exposure modification, image stabilization, etc. Adobe Premier Pro does a great a job as well.

I tend to drift slightly and of course need to correct which is apparent when recording a movie.
What am I missing here? Isn't a crosswind a possibility for the drifting?

When I first started flying drones, my first drone was non-GPS and I learned to fly just by trying to keep it in one place with the wind blowing… My neighbor who also flew my drone never got the hang of flying with the wind…

When I got my Mini 2 and the wind did not blow it away, my neighbor said prove it. He had a large Shop Fan and he set it up, turned it on and my Mini could hold its own against all but the highest setting…

Then out of curiosity, we set the fan up on an extension cord mid-way down his driveway. I then flew the Mini 2 back and forth down the middle of his driveway. He then turned on the fan and I flew the Mini 2 down his driveway, it flew right down the middle of his driveway until it was hit by the breeze from the fan, the Mini drifted to the side of the driveway but continued on in the exact same direction, but down the side of the driveway. We did this several times and the video showed the drone is not deviate off its directional orientation. It apparently did not try to move back onto its original flight path.

We have all see the videos of manned aircraft, especially airliners trying to land with a strong crosswind. The pilot has to yaw the aircraft slightly into the wind, the aircraft is now flying "sideways" somewhat. It may be actually facing the control tower on the side of the runway, but it travels right down the middle of the runway.

My Mini 2 is without any add-on software (ie: litchi, etc…) and if I want to fly a straight line without the fear of crosswind drift, I would try one of these two options. Now I know you will not be in Cine Mode, but somethings cannot be avoided… The first option depends on the fact that during a RTH flight, you the pilot, can control the Yaw (orientation of the Drone and therefore the cameras direction…).

First Off, set your RTH Option to Hover, you do not want it to land until you bring it home…

Option 1. I would set my home point to a location just beyond where I want the video to end. I would then set my RTH altitude to the height I want to video at (ensuring the path is clear…), and then I would fly the Mini 2 to a position beyond where I wanted the video to start. Start the Video Recording and then I would hit RTH and immediately orientate (Yaw) the Drone so it is flying backwards. You would hopefully have enough time to adjust this Yaw since you started the flight prior to the desired scene sequence.

This option would mean your video is filmed backwards, but any reasonable editing software would easily reverse the video and since the drone was not flying as slow as you would like, you should have video'd at max fps. It also means that the Drone would return home to a location near you and you would have complete control at that point…

Option 2. Is pretty much the reverse of this but the drone would be flying forward and you would not have to orientate the Drone, as it would fly straight. However, it's a bit more dangerous (depending on your ending scene…). I would set the Home Point to a location beyond the ending sequence and again setting the RTH Height to the desired altitude, I would then fly the drone to a location just beyond the starting sequence, start the video, and hit RTH. Again, the flight is not in Cine Mode and the dangerous part of this is that if for any reason you lose control over your drone, it is going to return to the home point you previously set (where: over a lake, waterfall, highway, etc…) and when that battery runs out, it is going to land there…

Well, that's my suggestion. Personally, I would not set my Home Point somewhere I could not easily get access to it like over a water, ball park, waterfall, prohibited location to fly at all, etc…

I read various suggestions about way-points with add-on software and that is probably the best way to go… Or you can buy a More Expensive Drone ($$$$), one where you as the Pilot can control the direction of flight so it does not drift and have a Cinematographer control the independent camera so it stays on the subject…

Good Luck and do not do something that makes us look bad…

Reactions: SethB
hi all!

I have had the same problem with drifting. But if you recalibrate your drone the problem should be taken care of.

A few tips that helped me:
1) practice outdoor on days when winds are <7 mph; when you feel more confident, practice on windier days to see if you can keep your craft straight.
2) practice a bit closer to the ground (between 5-25 ft. if possible) and directly in front of you until you get that down and feel that you've mastered flying in straight lines. Lines on the ground definitely help to guide you so you can tell whether you are flying straight or not.
3) Whether you prefer "pinching" or "thumbing" the sticks, know that the amount of pressure you put on DJI sticks is directly proportionate to the speed that it will yaw, pitch, or roll. I didn't realize this at first and I'd tend to drift to the right. Then I learned that I was ever so slightly pushing my RC's right stick to the right, which was making the craft roll to its right.
4) Make sure that you have at least 8 satellites available before you take off whenever possible (ideally > 8). I've found this to make a considerable difference at times.
5) Make sure you're firmware and safety software is up to date via your remote controller/phone app with your drone turned on.
6) I believe that you can calibrate the MIni 2 within the app, but I don't own one, so I'm not sure.

I hope these tips help. Safe flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman