DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tired off .500 so I am back on .400

hmmm, will have to give the 1200m los a crack on .5 too compare, haven't had any other issues yet in about a dozen flights

Well I couldn't resist and I've reverted back to 4.04 and firmware. 400. Just been out for a quick fly, but v windy so only went out c400 metres. Quite a busy neighbourhood here buildings wise though plus lots of trees and didn't lose a bar. Previously never disconnected, but did start to get sketchy here at those distances on. 500. Not scientific I know, but looks better to me. And I can use Litchi focus again, which is a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMJET-1
I remembered that when I updated the Mavic firmware the app came up and said that it needed updating. So I updated it to 4.05 if your still on 4.04 your certainly good to go with a firmware downgrade. If your on 4.05 it might work just fine with .400 firmware. I don't know, but what I did know was that I wanted everything back to the way it was.

Since I had already gone to 4.05 I was really in a pickle and I tried everywhere to find an IPA file for 4.04, but no luck. From what I have read I don't think a randomly pulled IPA file would have worked anyway so I had to do use another method to revert 4.04 and trust me it was not easy :cool:

Rob
Rob,

Is there any way you could share the IPA file to downgrade the iOS app to 4.04?

I'd be interested in hearing the experience of anyone that may be on the latest revision of the iOS app, with the downgraded Mavic FW. We know that downgrading the Mavic should allow it to again work with all Litchi features. Whatever they changed with the latestest firmware update obviously changed something where it wouldn't work with all Litchi features. Wondering if this is the same with an older version of the DJI Go App also. Maybe some things work, and other will not.

Litchi will no doubt release a new version very soon that works with .500 firmware. If you cannot wait then just downgrade the Mavic to .400 and it should work fine with Litchi. Whatever your doing you better do it fast because I am pretty sure DJI is going to move to .600 very soon and then .400 will probably be removed from the list.

Rob

LOL yes we need to update but then it also reaches a point of diminishing returns for the consumer and more about butt saving by the manufacturer!

I think DJI has a few more things that they can do for the consumer, but I wonder if the current priority for the Mavic is mostly on improving the NFZ ability and also making non LOS flights less attractive.

They are also engaged in a practice that can often be disastrous and that is supporting multiple devices with one piece of software. They should have split off the Inspire 1 & 2 into a separate app. It's a safe bet that a lot of Inspire 2 subroutines are bloating up the code and making it less stable for both systems.

Rob

Very good point you made here Robbyg!! I am a PLC programmer (19 years) where I am employed in the automation field and I totally agree. The use of multiple-instance function routine data blocks are fine as long as it is used for the same identical machines in a factory, but it is way too easy to make copy/paste mistakes to attempt to manipulate such data for different machines. Not good practice and is against the rules of programming IMHO. Especially when it is being implemented for mass production components such as drones. Just my 2 cents.

This is the question I would like an answer to from the DJI team..... If they are aware of problems with the latest .005 update, why haven't they pushed out the previous .004 to everyone to downgrade to. It is working! It just makes since. Luckily I did not upgrade to .005 on my phone and it is working fine. My Galaxy Tab "A" worked flawless running 4.0.4 as well but when I loaded GO4 V.005 on the Galaxy Tab I am now getting intermitting "No Signal" continuously during pre-flight and in-flight!! It is very unstable to say the least. I can not use my Tab now. You would think that DJI would always make the previous working app available anytime that an upgrade is pushed out just in case of issues such as this. That way there would always be a backup system in place in cases like this. We can downgrade firmware so why can't we downgrade software the app too??

Last edited:
I just finished downgrading to 400. Reading too much on here about issues. I don't trust litchi at all, even if they do say only certain modes are affected. Also itching to try autopilot. I'd have thought dji would have released a fix by now, but they don't seem to be in a hurry, so...

Reactions: RAMJET-1
Very good point you made here Robbyg!! I am a PLC programmer (19 years) where I am employed in the automation field and I totally agree. The use of multiple-instance function routine data blocks are fine as long as it is used for the same identical machines in a factory, but it is way too easy to make copy/paste mistakes to attempt to manipulate such data for different machines. Not good practice and is against the rules of programming IMHO. Especially when it is being implemented for mass production components such as drones. Just my 2 cents.

This is the question I would like an answer to from the DJI team..... If they are aware of problems with the latest .005 update, why haven't they pushed out the previous .004 to everyone to downgrade to. It is working! It just makes since. Luckily I did not upgrade to .005 on my phone and it is working fine. My Galaxy Tab "A" worked flawless running 4.0.4 as well but when I loaded GO4 V.005 on the Galaxy Tab I am now getting intermitting "No Signal" continuously during pre-flight and in-flight!! It is very unstable to say the least. I can not use my Tab now. You would think that DJI would always make the previous working app available anytime that an upgrade is pushed out just in case of issues such as this. That way there would always be a backup system in place in cases like this. We can downgrade firmware so why can't we downgrade software the app too??

Ramjet you bring up a lot of good points that I totally agree with. I paid my $1300 dollars well actually $1400 and it's my drone now! It's not DJI's property anymore.
This very aggressive DJI update system is IMHO only going to get worst as more countries start to follow the lead of Canada. If DJI honestly thinks they can NFZ the Mavic to the point where most owners cannot even fly it in their own property and yet still believe they can be a viable company going forward, they are crazy!

Letting the owners of a product download and keep older versions of firmware if they want to is the norm for every product I have used. This forced upgrade stuff is the reason I went to such great lengths to downgrade my complete system now. I have a feeling by the next couple of releases that they will have sneaked in and cemented their absolute control as to where you can fly and what version of software you must be using to even take off the craft.

At some point DJI is either going to reach a critical mass of users and therefore just like Guns and Netflix the legislators cannot just ignore the user base or DJI will shrink their own base with their current policies and end up fighting the fight alone.

Let me be very clear in what I am saying so the Drone police do not jump down my throat. If a user wants to keep the firmware that they bought the craft with they should have every right to do so. You cannot punish everyone based on the actions of a few stupid people. Even with Drones being essentially banned in Canada, they need to stay loyal to the customers.
If DJI keeps making cooler and better drones it is almost a certainty that Canadian citizens and people in other banned countries will see the great products that they are not allowed to use and they will force changes in their own countries. IMO DJI cannot be writing tons of code to prevent stupid stuff from happening without making the product unattractive and practically unusable for the normal person. That will ultimately lead to the death of DJI.

Rob

Last edited:
While owning a P3, I saw performance diminish wth every "upgrade". The comments now are the same as I heard then.
I'm sure a few might recall the effort made to create a new, non DJI os for the P3. Gents...Welcome to the world of DJI.

Last edited:
So my big problem is that unlike Android device users, with IOS your locked into an update and there is no going back. Well Maybe ;)

Not sure if I understand what you are insinuating here. Are you refering to how it trys to autoupdate when you power on?

With my apple6s . it is dedicated . simcard pulled out. Wfi turned off. It can't update. The update screen comes up but when you except it says " connect to a network" then cancels and I fly.

I could only downgrade with dji assistant2 to the previous firmware (.400). Would prefer a full factory reset including firmware reset.

My problems started.....well, I'm not to sure because I upgraded the firmware to .500 and upgraded app to djigo4 at the same time. I was kind of excited about the autofocus function they added.

Problems I get included the vps reading is not synced to the ground . always -0.1 - -0.2. Which makes me nervous because of the non landing and auto landing mavics with this error. Also, the distance from home point has problems, with full gps coverage and both RC and drone sitting there together. The distance will start to drift away. Has got up to 55 feet away when they are just 1 foot apart on the table. Not moving. Its a strange error.

I think this last bug has something to do with GPS on my iphone6 s. The rc lost all ability to see the GPS on my phone after the updates. Gives me the week sattelite single detected error.

Hit a roadblock when it came to downloading the iOS app to the non djigo4. But to the original v3 I was stable and happy with. Autofocus on go4 isn't worth all this bugs.

Question: I'm assuming that if we have a crash and are not running latest firmware, DJI will blame pilot error and not cover a warrenty issue.?

Here's a weird thing. Appstore still has GO3 and GO4. But when I uninstall go4 and install 3. The autofocus still works. So what the heck.? I thought the autofocus was an app feature not encoded into the hardware firmware.

I just want it the way it was a month ago...:)

Not sure if I understand what you are insinuating here. Are you refering to how it trys to autoupdate when you power on?

With my apple6s . it is dedicated . simcard pulled out. Wfi turned off. It can't update. The update screen comes up but when you except it says " connect to a network" then cancels and I fly.

I could only downgrade with dji assistant2 to the previous firmware (.400). Would prefer a full factory reset including firmware reset.

My problems started.....well, I'm not to sure because I upgraded the firmware to .500 and upgraded app to djigo4 at the same time. I was kind of excited about the autofocus function they added.

Problems I get included the vps reading is not synced to the ground . always -0.1 - -0.2. Which makes me nervous because of the non landing and auto landing mavics with this error. Also, the distance from home point has problems, with full gps coverage and both RC and drone sitting there together. The distance will start to drift away. Has got up to 55 feet away when they are just 1 foot apart on the table. Not moving. Its a strange error.

I think this last bug has something to do with GPS on my iphone6 s. The rc lost all ability to see the GPS on my phone after the updates. Gives me the week sattelite single detected error.

Hit a roadblock when it came to downloading the iOS app to the non djigo4. But to the original v3 I was stable and happy with. Autofocus on go4 isn't worth all this bugs.

Question: I'm assuming that if we have a crash and are not running latest firmware, DJI will blame pilot error and not cover a warrenty issue.?

Here's a weird thing. Appstore still has GO3 and GO4. But when I uninstall go4 and install 3. The autofocus still works. So what the heck.? I thought the autofocus was an app feature not encoded into the hardware firmware.

I just want it the way it was a month ago...:)

I was running mine just like you are but I forgot about the auto app update setting in the iPhone and one day I turned on the wifi to cache some maps and forgot to turn it off for a few hours and when I opened the app again it was auto updated to 4.05.

I got the message like you that the firmware needed updating and I did not have the nerve to fly it without updating it. I figured I could go back but I wanted everything to be reverted. The firmware was easy but the app took a lot of work.

As for crashing while running older firmware I doubt that DJi could enforce that. Updates are not mandatory, they are only recommended.

Lastly it seems like some settings are stored in the Mavic and some in the App. Depending on which one you update you lose the settings that device holds in memory.

Rob

Its all good No problems here so Don't know whats up with everyone else my system is working just fine . I will post if that is not the case when I take it out this weekend.

Well after reading all your reports I decided to downgrade mine too.
But...
20170323_075713.png

No chance! :(

I tryed everything; reboot, disconnect/connect, change battery, turn off/on wi-fi... nothing works.

Im losing the will to fly. Since everytime a new mid-air surprise shows up. I'm tired of this fw glitches. I don't want to end up crashing it or even worse hurting someone.

Well after reading all your reports I decided to downgrade mine too.
But...
View attachment 9130

No chance! :(

I tryed everything; reboot, disconnect/connect, change battery, turn off/on wi-fi... nothing works.

Im losing the will to fly. Since everytime a new mid-air surprise shows up. I'm tired of this fw glitches. I don't want to end up crashing it or even worse hurting someone.

Is that a firmware downgrade option right there in you app? What the heck version of the app is that?..

When you hook up your phone it keeps upgrading?. I'd kill for a month old version of djiGO right now.
If it keeps auto updating is cause you turn off WiFi but still have cellular data maybe?

One time I was on a job. Clients waiting. I turn on the quad and it wants an update. if I said accept. It would not have worked. Unactivated iPhone. But I wasn't thinking. All I could think was NO. I need to do this job and let the client go about her day as fast as possible. Can't be waiting 30 or more for updates. Then I noticed a little X in the top right corner of the upgrade pop-up window

Sorry, meant Tired Of .500
Rob

So you were able to roll back to .400 on your iPhone? I've never done a "GO" rollback. I've noticed the option. Do you have to updates the bird and batts as well?

As to GPS, while you may be seeing an "improvement" it's kinda hit and miss evaluating GPS indoor at different times as one has no idea how the signals are getting there. (Again the over-sensitive GPS modules are tracking what should be left alone). I'd rather the GPS was less sensitive to receiving sats and thereafter maintained lock. (A GPS in the air has no excuse to lose lock - I bet the issue is in the drone f/w and has nothing to do with GPS sensitivity).

I'm not sure but I think I flew with .500 on my last couple flights before the MP went to Carson. The video seemed fine - but the drone wasn't more than about 600 m away.

Is that a firmware downgrade option right there in you app? What the heck version of the app is that?..
If you click and hold on the 'hamburger menu icon' (three horizontal lines) at the top right, it will bring up the option to refresh/downgrade the firmware.

And see, that's why I said before that you should wait to do firmware updates, wait until other people report back, if there are issues then you either update and hope you don't get it or you stay with the firmware you have. This whole thing about well, if DJI puts a firmware update it HAS to be updated because of safety issues is bogus..

I'm really not up on the update trap. How do you avoid updates? Turn the phone WiFi and LTE off?

This could be an option with my iPad (dedicated to the drones).

If you click and hold on the 'hamburger menu icon' (three horizontal lines) at the top right, it will bring up the option to refresh/downgrade the firmware.

Maybe i've never seen that because I never sign into dji on the app? Thats so much more easier then hooking to a computer and using DJI Assistant2

I'm really not up on the update trap. How do you avoid updates? Turn the phone WiFi and LTE off?

Come to think of it. I leave WiFi on just in case it needs WiFi help along with GPS for a location ping. But I made it forget my home network so it doesn't log on to the net automatically when I get home.

And yes. The cellular service is not activated. And the simcard removed. Its basically like a little tablet.

But.. I seem to remember the firmware update pop-up window had an X to close the pop up in the top right corner. Check for that. Just close the update window. IF they didn't remove that option from the app. Then it should work.

Maybe i've never seen that because I never sign into dji on the app? Thats so much more easier then hooking to a computer and using DJI Assistant2
I don't know if it requires you to be logged in. I've never really been not logged in. hehe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas