DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tired off .500 so I am back on .400

No if you stick with the firmware your fine. This just gives you the ability to upgrade and then downgrade back to .400 no matter what happens.

I know the process is a bit intimidating but after doing it with somebody helping I then realized that if I had spent a couple of hours on my own I could have figured it out. You just need to do a bit of reading on how VMware works.

Rob

So if someone buys a brand new Mavic months down the road and it is firmware 900 for example, will this still trick it back down to 400 assuming the underlining hardware itself hasn't changed?

Lots of issues.

NFZ limitations are now ridiculous. You can fly at most places except near operational airports with .400 The newer versions lock you out of many locations for reasons like it used to be a WWII landing strip even though today its a farm.

Seems to be confirmed that they messed with the power output. People are getting much shorter range with .500 and up. (I had the same experience)

Numerous other problems cropping up with .500 and above that are not happening with .400 ( I suggest you look at the posts)

Rob

I'm still on 200. How does 400 compared to 200? Are there any reductions in performance from 200 to 400?

is it possible for me to backup my 200 firmware and later go back to it?

On the .200 firmware version, what version of apk of DJI Go 4 app is best? I download from APKUPDATE with different versions offered.

For those who have been following, you have a limited time before .400 goes off the list. I suspect that just before the Goggles go public on May 20th they may do an update to enhance the features of the goggles.

With the help of a tech at work who is into using VMware I was able to do the snapshot of DJIAssistant2 with the firmware ready to be loaded on the Mavic. I cannot locate the post where another forum member tried it and found out that this works. All credit for this is goes to him.

If you have been following along in the other thread.
You need to install a fresh copy of Windows into VMware and then I nstall the Assigant2 software. Next make an image of the Windows installation with VMware.

After you have a clean image of windows saved run Assistant2 and hook up the Remote via USB with 45%-48% battery remaining and when the RC is detected, click firmware and install the .400 firmware.

The installation will pause just before it is ready to write to the RC and error out saying that the battery needs to be at 50%. It is waiting for you to put in an RC that is charged above 50%.

At this point, leave the software running and go in and disconnect the network connection in VMware. I did this as a safety feature in case they ever try to send some kind of blocking command for this method in the future.

Once the network connection is turned off take a Snapshot of the Win7 and name it "RC Snapshot .400" and save it in the VMware snapshot folder.

Now shutdown DJI assistant, turn back on the networking and rerun the assistant again. This time hook up the Mavic with a less than 50% battery and repeat the process, the download will happen instantly because it already has the files, so it will just pause and ask you to try again with a charged battery. Just take another snapshot and name it "Mavic Snapshot .400".

Turn back on the network connection and you are done.

The files are saved in the VMware user folder and can be copied and saved separately in case you want to remove VMware and the Win installation. If at anytime you need to go back to .400 just reinstall VMware and then tell it to restore the Windows image file or you can leave it in place for easy access. Next run the windows image and restore the associated snapshot one at a time and plug in your Mavic or RC that matches the running snapshot.

This method will work for any firmware version that you choose to save for the future. If you want, you can make snapshots of every version of the firmware that you choose to. Each snapshot is about 190MB and the Win image is about 2GB

Rob

If they haven't closed this loophole yet I'm going to do this today or tomorrow. for myself and others in the future to save the -400

So if someone buys a brand new Mavic months down the road and it is firmware 900 for example, will this still trick it back down to 400 assuming the underlining hardware itself hasn't changed?

Yes it will work and I also highly doubt that DJI will ever change the hardware. Any changes will most likely be reserved for the Mav2.

Rob

I'm still on 200. How does 400 compared to 200? Are there any reductions in performance from 200 to 400?

is it possible for me to backup my 200 firmware and later go back to it?

400 fixed some issues with 200. Mainly the compass redundancy system. I would highly recommend going to 400 and don't worry about going back. I do have the raw files for 200 but not a snapshot loader for it. It's not worth the potential bricking of my device when 400 is more stable and better.

Rob

I obviously know that since I could do it for the aircraft - but trying to do so with the remote just failed with either USB connection sounds confirming something was happening but nothing detected in Aissistant, or with an "impossible to connect USB device to the VM" error.
But it's fine, as suspected a reboot solved it.

Where? I checked all usual locations, plus looked at all the active file handles the app is using while running and nothing matches. The memory contents however do.

Screenshot_2017-05-15-16-26-06-045_com.estrongs.android.pop~01.png Screenshot_2017-05-15-16-25-34-783_com.estrongs.android.pop.png Screenshot_2017-05-15-16-25-40-673_com.estrongs.android.pop.png Screenshot_2017-05-15-16-25-24-888_com.estrongs.android.pop.png

I know that, but the discussion was about the Assistant2 on Windows, not about the app.

So when I got mine it was loaded with .500 I think. Then I upgraded to .550 (no issues) then to .600 (no issues) then to .700 and everything went to hell in a hand basket. I had all kinds of issues of which I have ranted about in another post. So after listening to everyone else's experiences I took it all the way back to .400. The first two flights I did things seemed to be fine but last night just about sunset (which is when I normally fly during the golden hour) I took the bird up and I kept having the obstacle avoidance kick in and the emergency brakes kicked in. Now I have had that happen before at sunset but almost always when I was on a course towards the sun. Last night though it was just the opposite as I was heading away from the sun every single time it happened. It was really odd though because as long as I was moving at really low speed forward and descending slowly things would be good but the minute I picked up some speed the dang alarm would go off, it would go into emergency stop and the alarm would continuously sound. Also the dang thing is jerky as squirrel during hunting season. I have not checked yet but I think maybe in downgrading the FW all of my responsive settings I had for the controls went back to factory default. Which I have read though in some posts that .400 was a little more jerky than .500 and above so if that is the case I may have to abandon .400 because it is driving me nuts. Anyway the big issue right now is this dang obstacle avoidance continuously going off. Anyone else have a similar experience? OH and I even tried turning obstacle avoidance off and the alarm still goes off.

For those who have been following, you have a limited time before .400 goes off the list. I suspect that just before the Goggles go public on May 20th they may do an update to enhance the features of the goggles.

With the help of a tech at work who is into using VMware I was able to do the snapshot of DJIAssistant2 with the firmware ready to be loaded on the Mavic. I cannot locate the post where another forum member tried it and found out that this works. All credit for this is goes to him.

If you have been following along in the other thread.
You need to install a fresh copy of Windows into VMware and then I nstall the Assigant2 software. Next make an image of the Windows installation with VMware.

After you have a clean image of windows saved run Assistant2 and hook up the Remote via USB with 45%-48% battery remaining and when the RC is detected, click firmware and install the .400 firmware.

The installation will pause just before it is ready to write to the RC and error out saying that the battery needs to be at 50%. It is waiting for you to put in an RC that is charged above 50%.

At this point, leave the software running and go in and disconnect the network connection in VMware. I did this as a safety feature in case they ever try to send some kind of blocking command for this method in the future.

Once the network connection is turned off take a Snapshot of the Win7 and name it "RC Snapshot .400" and save it in the VMware snapshot folder.

Now shutdown DJI assistant, turn back on the networking and rerun the assistant again. This time hook up the Mavic with a less than 50% battery and repeat the process, the download will happen instantly because it already has the files, so it will just pause and ask you to try again with a charged battery. Just take another snapshot and name it "Mavic Snapshot .400".

Turn back on the network connection and you are done.

The files are saved in the VMware user folder and can be copied and saved separately in case you want to remove VMware and the Win installation. If at anytime you need to go back to .400 just reinstall VMware and then tell it to restore the Windows image file or you can leave it in place for easy access. Next run the windows image and restore the associated snapshot one at a time and plug in your Mavic or RC that matches the running snapshot.

This method will work for any firmware version that you choose to save for the future. If you want, you can make snapshots of every version of the firmware that you choose to. Each snapshot is about 190MB and the Win image is about 2GB

Rob
I got a grey hair just by reading a few words!!

goodbye old firmware.....

under android:/data/data/dji.go.v4/files/upCfgFiles/wm220/
It cahced the firmware when upgrade
you can try to rollback the clock on android and make sure no network, then try to downgrade firmware in dji go 4 (i'm on .200 so cannot try)

try downgrade to .400 with VM, then .400 to .200 in dji go v4 (old version or try to disassemble it to see how it will work when downgrade)

Nice post. How are you able to access all those different firmware versions? Also I see an expiration date is set for each version. Luckily with VMware it should be a simple task to roll back the PCs clock and since I disconnected the internet before the snapshot it should default to the internal clock.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: Gh0stxSinghx
OK so now I am confused. I downgraded my MP last night to firmware 400. But I have the latest DJI GO 4 app on my tablet. Does that or does that not mean I am going to have issues with certain functions working? I have an Android tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. I have other devices too that can be used but the Samsung has by far the brightest screen settings for seeing in daylight.

.200 firmware + dji go 4.0.5 work fine for me and I think .400 + 4.0.7 will fine too

OK so now I am confused. I downgraded my MP last night to firmware 400. But I have the latest DJI GO 4 app on my tablet. Does that or does that not mean I am going to have issues with certain functions working? I have an Android tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. I have other devices too that can be used but the Samsung has by far the brightest screen settings for seeing in daylight.

under android:/data/data/dji.go.v4/files/upCfgFiles/wm220/
It cahced the firmware when upgrade
you can try to rollback the clock on android and make sure no network, then try to downgrade firmware in dji go 4 (i'm on .200 so cannot try)

try downgrade to .400 with VM, then .400 to .200 in dji go v4 (old version or try to disassemble it to see how it will work when downgrade)

Nice post! My FW 550 need back to 400. I can where flie FW 400 for to my moblie?

so did you try the roll back the clock method will in airplane mode on the andriod and if so, did it worked?
No, my dji goggles why cut 400 can't back.. my moblie show the 550, 600 and 700.
8657af6e5fc54695035b7fa72e5ad9df.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne