DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tired off .500 so I am back on .400

You can grab the firmware package from a rooted android device too, but not sure what to do with it to trigger the install.

Yes that's what I did the first time with the windows version, I just backed up the files. I think I figured out how to trigger it but I needed to have my Mavic plugged in and ready to update if I was going to try it. I chickened out and left it untested.

Then Boristhespider came along and proved the VMware method works. He had a lot more guts than me. I was really scared to try anything other than a regular update for fear it might brick my Mavic.

Rob

What's the issue with the latest v0.600 firmware ?

Lots of issues.

NFZ limitations are now ridiculous. You can fly at most places except near operational airports with .400 The newer versions lock you out of many locations for reasons like it used to be a WWII landing strip even though today its a farm.

Seems to be confirmed that they messed with the power output. People are getting much shorter range with .500 and up. (I had the same experience)

Numerous other problems cropping up with .500 and above that are not happening with .400 ( I suggest you look at the posts)

Rob

Last edited:
I just downgraded to 400 from the 600
My range is beter know (video)

And block my iphone app from the internet so no more updates for my mavic and the app

Do you guys know how to make my remote to use fcc
Not the ce mood .

And block my iphone app from the internet so no more updates for my mavic and the app
There's no need to do that. You can upgrade the app without upgrading the firmware.
As far as I know there is no issues with the latest versions of the app, both Android and iOS.

Well who knows, at some point DJI might modify the app so as to refuse to work with firmwares older than X. Given how much of a pain it is to downgrade an app on iOS it could be wise.
On android no issues.

You can capture each API file using an older versions of iTunes.

Rob

Last edited:
I've made a VM (with VirtualBox) and captured the states for the AC, but somehow my RC doesn't want to connect to the VM. Will have to try again after a reboot.

I've then run a few firmware refreshes on the RC (not in the VM obviously) and tried to capture the different processes. They're really bastards...
The firmware images are held in RAM only, i.e. no file cache that you can grab. With the proper tools you can however dump the RAM segment, and the contents of that have the same format than files recovered from the android app.
Then during the update process that's copied to the device's FTP (filesize same give or take a few bytes... except the contents are completely scrambled. So they download a "clear" binary package, the app/assistant must encrypt it before transferring to the device, and that decrypts it back.
There's a virtual COM port with loads of info being transferred between the assistant and device anytime they're connected, so once the file is transferred the command to start the upgrade most likely goes over that. But given the huge amount of comms and them being either raw binary or also encrypted good luck finding out which packet is the right one...

I've made a VM (with VirtualBox) and captured the states for the AC, but somehow my RC doesn't want to connect to the VM. Will have to try again after a reboot.

I've then run a few firmware refreshes on the RC (not in the VM obviously) and tried to capture the different processes. They're really bastards...
The firmware images are held in RAM only, i.e. no file cache that you can grab. With the proper tools you can however dump the RAM segment, and the contents of that have the same format than files recovered from the android app.
Then during the update process that's copied to the device's FTP (filesize same give or take a few bytes... except the contents are completely scrambled. So they download a "clear" binary package, the app/assistant must encrypt it before transferring to the device, and that decrypts it back.
There's a virtual COM port with loads of info being transferred between the assistant and device anytime they're connected, so once the file is transferred the command to start the upgrade most likely goes over that. But given the huge amount of comms and them being either raw binary or also encrypted good luck finding out which packet is the right one...

Kilrah you have to select the USB device in VMware that is plugged into the host machine and it will pass the connection onto the OS you have installed. There is a way to make it detect all connected devices but the Tech that was working with me said it was not advised as VMware will keep all the connections active and in memory. So by default you must manually look at the device menu and select the USB port. Maybe you can ask BorisTheSpider in a PM to help you. He is much more familiar with VMWare than I am.

As for the firmware files, they are not in memory, they are stored in a cache folder.

Rob

Reactions: iBrownie
Do you guys know how to make my remote to use fcc
Not the ce mood .

No, I wish I did. I do not even know how to tell which mode it is in. I thought the spectrum analyzer screen in the App would indicate a different power level but from what I was told I do not think that it does.

It's a pity that this screen does not indicate the signal strength that it is getting from the Mavic. It only shows the the interference levels on the different frequencies.

settings2.png

Rob

Last edited:
There's no need to do that. You can upgrade the app without upgrading the firmware.
As far as I know there is no issues with the latest versions of the app, both Android and iOS.

If you use a current DJI Go 4 app with an older firmware like .400, your C1, C2 and 5 way button will not work properly. The new DJI Go 4 app will assume you have the latest firmware, which includes additional functions such as the Fixed-Wing mode...

The DJI Go 4 app to use for .400 firmware is DJI Go 4 v4.0.3 for android. I'm not sure what version was current for IOS since I'm on android.

Reactions: Mr Spock
Kilrah you have to select the USB device in VMware that is plugged into the host machine
I obviously know that since I could do it for the aircraft - but trying to do so with the remote just failed with either USB connection sounds confirming something was happening but nothing detected in Aissistant, or with an "impossible to connect USB device to the VM" error.
But it's fine, as suspected a reboot solved it.

As for the firmware files, they are not in memory, they are stored in a cache folder.
Where? I checked all usual locations, plus looked at all the active file handles the app is using while running and nothing matches. The memory contents however do.

If you use a current DJI Go 4 app with an older firmware like .400, your C1, C2 and 5 way button will not work properly. The new DJI Go 4 app will assume you have the latest firmware, which includes additional functions such as the Fixed-Wing mode...

The DJI Go 4 app to use for .400 firmware is DJI Go 4 v4.0.3 for android. I'm not sure what version was current for IOS since I'm on android.
Well I guess I'm in real danger.
Since I'm using an iOS device everything just runs perfect. The app is updated and the fw is still .0400.
All those buttons you mentioned are fine (and I'm using then).
About the new flight mode, you're correct, but I'm not interested. For the record, I don't remember if the Fixed Wing even appears on the screen as an option to chose.

Well I guess I'm in real danger.
Since I'm using an iOS device everything just runs perfect. The app is updated and the fw is still .0400.
All those buttons you mentioned are fine (and I'm using then).
About the new flight mode, you're correct, but I'm not interested. For the record, I don't remember if the Fixed Wing even appears on the screen as an option to chose.

I don't have an IOS device, so I'm just letting you know about my experience with DJI Go 4 on android. Previously, I think I was on an older .200 firmware and my phone updated the DJI Go 4 app to the latest version, causing the C1, C2 and 5 way button to no longer function. I believe the same thing is happening if the Mavic is on .400 firmware and the android DJI Go 4 app is the latest version..

I don't have an IOS device, so I'm just letting you know about my experience with DJI Go 4 on android. Previously, I think I was on an older .200 firmware and my phone updated the DJI Go 4 app to the latest version, causing the C1, C2 and 5 way button to no longer function. I believe the same thing is happening if the Mavic is on .400 firmware and the android DJI Go 4 app is the latest version..
I've had no issues with the latest app on android together with FW .400

If I do I'll go back to v4.0.3 of the android app, but all buttons etc work as normal for me.

I've had no issues with the latest app on android together with FW .400

If I do I'll go back to v4.0.3 of the android app, but all buttons etc work as normal for me.
I can confirm that my .400 F/W enabled Mavic didn't like the latest app offering on Android - it caused video feed issues and the gimble to require constant adjustment. I have apk versions
.300 - .700 stored on my phone's SD card, and currently find .4 to be working exceptionally well. I guess if that changes, I'll revert back to .300 - but until then, running my app in airplane mode seems to disconnect me entirely from DJI.
I have auto-updates turned off and I'm blissfully unaware of any FW change demands etc...
Smokey.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661