DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tired off .500 so I am back on .400

Sorry, meant Tired Of .500

Between my own experiences and reading other stories I have come to my own personal decision that .400 is where it stops for me.

My two problems:

1) Video breaks up badly at distances that it never broke up at before. When it does start to break up it cuts out so suddenly that I cannot even gain altitude. Then on the RTH it seems like I have to be 30% of the way back before the signal comes back completely. With .400 if I lost signal I would always regain it the minute I bought it up to a higher altitude.

2) My second issue is the "NFZ Data Is Low" nag screen that now plagues me. I use a dedicated iPhone 6+ and keep the WIFI off unless I am caching maps. I have a nasty feeling that if I do update the NFZ file I am going to have some of those nasty experiences others have had. I fly responsibly and cautiously. I don't feel a need to be penalized because a few yahoo's in China and other places have decided to fly like idiots.

So my big problem is that unlike Android device users, with IOS your locked into an update and there is no going back. Well Maybe ;).

Anyway I can confirm one or two things.

First of all the extra GPS signal from .500 is just DJI putting lipstick on a pig. I laid the mavic on a spot in my bedroom and before downgrading I had 6 sats with 3 green bars and it was in a solid GPS mode. After upgrading I put it in the exact same spot and I had 6 sats with 3 Red bars and it was in ATTI mode and flickering into GPS mode on occasions. You can make your own decision on what was really improved.

Improved D-Log for me was not really an improvement. I think I was looking, hoping for it so hard I actually imagined greater Dynamic range but in fact I look back at the same location video with .400 and .500 and if there is a difference it's so thin that it's just not perceptible to me.

Precision landings are great with both firmware's. I think .500 has a slight edge so maybe that is something I will miss. The Audio recording was pretty much a wash. It was nice to have the audio even though it came with a buzzing sound but what I really need is the option for Instrument overlay which DJI does not want to include.

The Range issue and breakups well I will know next weekend when i go back out and do some flying.

As it stands now I just feel comfortable again. I got great results with .400 and so I am a happy camper again.

Rob
If I had a choice I wouldn't be using gps assistance with less than 8 or 9 satelites connected, so this is a bit of an improvement, but ideally I would be able to manually switch to atti.

Haven't updated in ages. I use an iPad that never goes online anyway, so older app and older firmware. Works just fine as it is!

Reactions: jcpkkmw
I've experienced zero issues with my .500 FW, but i'm considering downgrading to .400 because I would like to use Litchi, especially for FVP flying.
No need to downgrade as long as you don't use head-tracking functions in VR mode.

I downgraded flawless. Enjoying VR for the first time this day!

As @Robbyg mentioned a few days ago I did the downgrade via PC yesterday and it took ~20 minutes. Everything seemed Ok but it was a rainy day so I'll wait for a good weather to fly my Mavic.
The main goal is to see if the glitches go away.

As @Robbyg mentioned a few days ago I did the downgrade via PC yesterday and it took ~20 minutes. Everything seemed Ok but it was a rainy day so I'll wait for a good weather to fly my Mavic.
The main goal is to see if the glitches go away.

What glitches are you having with .500?

What glitches are you having with .500?

This thread is getting long. :)
I'll transcribe some of my previous posts here:

#32 Im losing the will to fly. Since everytime a new mid-air surprise shows up. I'm tired of this fw glitches. I don't want to end up crashing it or even worse hurting someone.

#46 I remember I flew only 1 week with the .0400 firmware and it was flawless until the .0500

I don't know if is a firmware-only, an Android device issue or both. The truth is I want to fly again with the .0400 just to be sure.
That's it.

When my mavic arrived i immediatelly made the .500 update.
Made some videos in full auto mode and i have to say that they looked beautiful without having to make any changes. But i wanted to use litchi for fpv and as it was not supported by the new FW i backdated to .0400. As with .0500 i had no issues flying however i noticed a great difference with video: while i had almost no need to adjust anything with newer FW, i noticed that the older needed much more fine tuning.
Did anybody notice the same thing?

This thread is getting long. :)
I'll transcribe some of my previous posts here:

#32 Im losing the will to fly. Since everytime a new mid-air surprise shows up. I'm tired of this fw glitches. I don't want to end up crashing it or even worse hurting someone.

#46 I remember I flew only 1 week with the .0400 firmware and it was flawless until the .0500

I don't know if is a firmware-only, an Android device issue or both. The truth is I want to fly again with the .0400 just to be sure.
That's it.

If your downgrading do it with the DJI Assistant 2 software on a PC or Mac.
Since your running Android it is easy to find the older APK files to install the version that worked during that first week. If all goes well you should be back to your original setup.

Rob

You are referring to DJI Go 4 version, this thread is about the firmware on the Mavic.

You are referring to DJI Go 4 version, this thread is about the firmware on the Mavic.

Yes but the person was asking if I thought that his newer app was giving problems with the older .400 firmware. So I said just down grade the app also.

Rob

I don't know if it happens with Android also but with IOS every time I turn on the controller and the App I get the message.
It does not happen with 4.04 but it happens with 4.05

Rob
It happens on Android too. But as I fly with my phone into Airplane mode, I never update. But the message is there EVERYTIME. And if I decide to disable the Airplane mode to get some data for maps, the NFZ gets updated automatically without asking....and I´m living in China and this is getting into worse and worse.

Instead of that, to me, th new version is working let´s say better in overall than the previous...cross my fingers!

Reactions: Robbyg
It happens on Android too. But as I fly with my phone into Airplane mode, I never update. But the message is there EVERYTIME. And if I decide to disable the Airplane mode to get some data for maps, the NFZ gets updated automatically without asking....and I´m living in China and this is getting into worse and worse.

Instead of that, to me, the new version is working let´s say better in overall than the previous...cross my fingers!

Your the first person on Android to post that they are seeing the same message. I guess the vast majority of guys leave their data connection active.

China is IMHO a great way of viewing the future for drones in America. It's a job creating industry in China and so won't be readily banned but I suspect the acceleration of the NFZ craziness in China is a prelude to what DJI will do across the globe. That's one of the main reasons I am staying on .400 along with the landing override issue with .500

At some point soon, I think DJI will make a version release that will cement their control over the Mavic. The ability of the pilot to choose where, when and what version of software you can fly with. I think .500 contains some nuggets of that code and I am staying far away from it.

Two things I keep hearing a lot about from a Chinese forum is SIM card pairing with the Mavic and a possible 400ft altitude limit. I think these guys are using Beta software, so I suspect the SIM card stuff will be coming soon. The new Altitude limit seems to be only a talking point for now.

Rob

Hi all,
I'm definitely thinking of reverting to .400 firmware - sorry, but just want to clarify...
Does the controller also need to be down-graded to an earlier version?

Hi all,
I'm definitely thinking of reverting to .400 firmware - sorry, but just want to clarify...

It just happens automatically when you downgrade. You don't need to worry about it.

do you think the changes between .500 and .400 are in relation with the 10Mhz and 20Mhz signal option that we can not choose on .500 ?

do you think the changes between .500 and .400 are in relation with the 10Mhz and 20Mhz signal option that we can not choose on .500 ?

HUH !!!
What !!!
Please explain further, this one missed me.

Rob

Hi all,

Yes controller and the Mavic. Just use DJI Assistant 2 and do each one via the USB port.
Better hurry, I got a feeling DJI is soon going to be coming out with .0600 and that means .0400 will most likely be removed.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin.macdonald