DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To Smart, or Not To Smart?

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reactions
[ EDITED FOR CLARITY ]

SIMPLE VERSION:

For those of you that use the Mavic primarily for photographic purposes (stills and video), which of the following would you chose:
  1. The Smart Controller with the brighter, though smaller (5.5") screen
  2. The Standard Controller, used with a larger (9.7") screen, an iPad Air 2 with shade / hood
Thanks much, Chris

---------------------------------
DETAILED VERSION (for those with questions still, but not necessary if you have a simple reply to the above):

Long time P3P flyer, upgrading to better photographic drone, P4Pv2 generally unavailable (and no longer much lower priced for new, looking at the eBay offerings). So I've zeroed in on the M2P.

Main Question: Should I get the bundle with the Smart Controller for about $400US more, or get the standard controller?

Decision Points:
  1. I'm used to using a 9.7" tablet (iPod Air 2) with hood with the P3P
  2. I've used my 5.5" smart phone (iPhone 6+) when I had to, but wasn't happy with the small size (and no hood, though I know there are some if I needed one).
  3. Seeing that the STD controller for the M2P is limited 160 mm (smart phone size, not large tablet) was disappointing (but see #5 below)
  4. Seeing that the Smart Controller was smaller, but lots brighter than the avg smart phone, I thought THAT was the way to go, even with the much higher cost. Bonus for it being a dedicated system (less buggy with 3rd party devices) and cables and setup and just general ease and comfort.
  5. After lots of research, I found that I CAN use my tablet with the standard controller, using this tablet holder and this monitor hood (or the like, many options there, feel free to recommend).
  6. I've seen the arguments about the lack of updates with the Crystal screen being an indicator of update delays for the smart controller, but since those discussions started, it seems to me that updates have been fairly regular, shooting down those complaints. Please feel free to mention if it is actually a problem,
  7. I've also read the "shorter range" with the Smart Controller discussions, but it seems to me that since they're really the same controller (sans screen), it could be just an issue with antenna orientation -- I would be interested in hearing any counters to that.
While there are attractions to the Smart Controller (#4), I could get a few batteries and other accessories for that extra money.

But MOSTLY, I'm wondering what would be the better experience, for photography specifically:
  • Brighter screen of the Smart Controller
  • Bigger screen of the tablet with the STD controller, with hood
Discuss.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

PS: I guess it's possible to use a hood with the Smart Controller screen, but I haven't seen any in my browsing.

Last edited:
If number 4 is a priority get it. It was my highest priority. I absolutely hate dragging cables and holders and sunshades and making sure I have sufficient charge on my phone....

You will never attach you iPhone 6 again after the SC - Promise!

Here is the workflow for the SC. Turn on the AC, turn on the SC (it connects in about 5 seconds). Wait for the bird to get GPS FLY!

Oh I don't know anything about range. I guess that's possible. I have no idea because I haven't been that far out yet. Was waiting for my StateFarm insurance to kick in before I started putting it out over water and kicking it downrange. I do have both the SC and the standard TX. I purchased the standard TX as a backup but haven't used it yet.

You will never attach you iPhone 6 again after the SC - Promise!

Thanks for the response. Note however that my choices are a) smart controller, or b) std controller with the tablet.

The phone is not really in the picture as a main screen / device (though it's been nice to have in emergencies, such as when the non-cellular tablet is not properly logged into DJI and could not fly the craft out in the desert ... grrrrr).

I understand. I would say the answer depends completely on your priorities. If the most important thing to you is screen size. Then tablet is the way to go. If it's screen brightness is most important SC is the best choice on Par with other 1000 nit devices. The SC is the only device of it's kind. All-in-one device. That is the true huge benefit. If that is not important to you stay with the standard setup of tablets, holders, cables, sunshades, extra batteries etc. if you are looking for a minimilist setup. SC unmatched.

I decided on the Standard Controller with the larger screen (the iPad Air 2 that I already own).

The main tipping factor was the 3rd party apps scenario. Even if / when Litchi comes out with a version that'll work on the Smart Controller, will it have the same level of support? Updates? Then there's other apps...

Also, the fact that DJI seems to support iOS more strongly over Android.

And replacement for both remote and tablet will be cheaper and more flexible (a bad screen on the SC would require a replacement of the entire unit at a higher cost).

Lastly, the ability to use my phone in a pinch (which has happened numerous times)

The savings got me 3 extra batteries.

Thanks all,
Chris

For me, bigger is better. I use an iPad Pro 9.7... Even with that, I tend to miss small things that I catch later on when processing on the desktop. Then I think, "It would have been nice to get a better view of that"... I'd love to get the 12.9 inch iPad pro to fly with, but can't justify it.

Glare can be a problem, but most places I fly, I can usually manage to get out of the direct sun by standing in the shadow of a tree or some other structure. When I can, I fly from my Jeep Wrangler which has a convertible top that provides shade, but doesn't block the radio signals from/to the controller.

I too seek out shade, even if I'm using a hood on the tablet.

Sometimes when I have no shade available, I find myself sticking my head inside the hood. That's a bit of a problem for maintaining VLOS.

That makes me wonder if I should look at those deep Hoodman products, but it seems heavy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie