DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today's flight was horrible

My flight today consisted of traveling out about 2000 ft to capture some photos of a golf course and the drone suddenly started doing some weird stuff. It started to spin around and descend rapidly. I was trying to keep it from descending but no joy. So I hit return to home and it gave me some control back where I could give it altitude to clear the trees to make it home. Even when it arrived to the home point, it was still acting weird like spinning in circles and the props were spastic.

So I just finished looking at my flight record and saw at the point where the craft started acting weird the throttle and rudder sticks started going up and down side to side like someone had control of my controller. It got to the point where it was 15ft off the ground before I hit the return to home. I had my rth altitude set at 25m which was too low so I was able to raise it up to clear the trees...

Anybody else had anything remotely simular to this?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MavicPilots mobile app
Main culprit is magnetic interference with remote. I was wearing a name tag with magnetic clasp, and experienced similar problems. Flying out to about 500 feet then everything went bonkers, Mavic started spinning, I had no control until I switched to Sport and was able to land. Checked everything, took off again, gimbal was nervously twitching and then Mavic started spinning and so I quickly landed. Tried to do gimbal calibration but it wouldn't complete. So I went home to check everything. Then I discovered the name tag with the magnet, and when I removed it, gimbal calibration was successful. Did new imu and compass calibrations out of caution, and Mavic flies perfect now. I now make sure to remove all metal objects from my pockets, especially shirt, and make sure there are no magnets anywhere.

Main culprit is magnetic interference with remote. I was wearing a name tag with magnetic clasp, and experienced similar problems. Flying out to about 500 feet then everything went bonkers, Mavic started spinning, I had no control until I switched to Sport and was able to land. Checked everything, took off again, gimbal was nervously twitching and then Mavic started spinning and so I quickly landed. Tried to do gimbal calibration but it wouldn't complete. So I went home to check everything. Then I discovered the name tag with the magnet, and when I removed it, gimbal calibration was successful. Did new imu and compass calibrations out of caution, and Mavic flies perfect now. I now make sure to remove all metal objects from my pockets, especially shirt, and make sure there are no magnets anywhere.

Do you mean Controller Calibration? Cannot see how something magnetic can effect the gimbal calibration on the bird.

Do you mean Controller Calibration? Cannot see how something magnetic can effect the gimbal calibration on the bird.
Couldn't get gimbal to calibrate, wouldn't go past 83%, until I removed magnet name tag from shirt, then gimbal calibrated fine. Funny that the magnet affected the remote controller, with Mavic spinning in circles and not responding to sticks, and also the camera gimbal was unresponsive as well as camera twitching around

Couldn't get gimbal to calibrate, wouldn't go past 83%, until I removed magnet name tag from shirt, then gimbal calibrated fine. Funny that the magnet affected the remote controller, with Mavic spinning in circles and not responding to sticks, and also the camera gimbal was unresponsive as well as camera twitching around
All these problems with magnetic influence on the remote are caused by DJI making the switch to Hall Effect sensors on the stick gimbals on the Mavic remote.
It is fairly mature technology but DJI appear to maybe have skimped on the shielding for the gimbals since other high end TX's do not suffer this issue

That is really weird, I understand how magnets can have an effect on calibrating the Hall Effect sensors on the controller but why on earth should they have any effect on calibrating the gimbal on the Mavic itself.

Great input. I had a similar potentially magnetic related anomaly. But I'm not gonna repeat it to verify. Haha.

That is really weird, I understand how magnets can have an effect on calibrating the Hall Effect sensors on the controller but why on earth should they have any effect on calibrating the gimbal on the Mavic itself.
The two controller sticks attach to a mechanism called a gimbal.

The two controller sticks attach to a mechanism called a gimbal.

Yes you are correct if speaking generally but here we are dealing with the descriptions in the actual DJI Go app menu. With DJI terminology and with regards to the actual menu options, the gimbal is what the camera is attached to. With regards to the DJI Go app you calibrate the Controller (under the controller settings) or the Gimbal (under camera settings). I am not being picky here, but think it is confusing when saying you were not able to calibrate the gimbal (singular) when in fact you are actually referring to the controller. In context they are 2 separate calibration options, Controller & Gimbal (camera).
However @Crashburn said that the gimbal was twitching nervously so from this statement was it in fact the camera gimbal that would not calibrate due to magentic interference? Hopefully they can answer if magnets near the controller actually had an effect on the Camera Gimbal calibration? (this is what I think is strange if it is the case) :)

To clarify, yes it was the camera twitching nervously, and the camera gimbal would not calibrate (and yes I checked that the gimbal tabs were not hung up on top of bracket). Also, the Mavic was spinning and the remote sticks were not responsive

To clarify, yes it was the camera twitching nervously, and the camera gimbal would not calibrate (and yes I checked that the gimbal tabs were not hung up on top of bracket). Also, the Mavic was spinning and the remote sticks were not responsive

That is not good then, did the camera gimbal calibrate ok after without any magnets close to the controller? If so then it is really weird as it must also look at the controller when calibrating the camera gimbal. Sorry, I am just trying to get my head around why magnetic influence near the controller could impact the camera gimbal calibration. The spinning issue I understand, caused by magnets close to the controller either with bad calibration or during fight, just trying to understand the camera gimbal issue. Thanks :)

That is not good then, did the camera gimbal calibrate ok after without any magnets close to the controller? If so then it is really weird as it must also look at the controller when calibrating the camera gimbal. Sorry, I am just trying to get my head around why magnetic influence near the controller could impact the camera gimbal calibration. The spinning issue I understand, caused by magnets close to the controller either with bad calibration or during fight, just trying to understand the camera gimbal issue. Thanks :)
Camera gimbal calibration would not get past 83% in the field. When I got home and removed the magnetic name tag from my shirt, the gimbal calibration worked 1st time, no problem. Did imu and compass calibrations, didn't touch remote calibration because I've had problems with it (finiky to get it to work) so I now leave remote calibration alone, and now my Mavic flies fine

Reactions: kykayak
All, to report that all is well and no more spastic actions with my Mavic. New users out there, do remember that this is a new product and that DJI like any company will work out any bugs in their product to make it great. This is already a great product and the issues here are some user and some DJI.

Now the only thing I need to do is replace my bulging battery. Glad I have 4 more. Any body have issues with there battery starting to get a little "FAT" at the top.

Thanks guys .....

My flight today consisted of traveling out about 2000 ft to capture some photos of a golf course and the drone suddenly started doing some weird stuff. It started to spin around and descend rapidly. I was trying to keep it from descending but no joy. So I hit return to home and it gave me some control back where I could give it altitude to clear the trees to make it home. Even when it arrived to the home point, it was still acting weird like spinning in circles and the props were spastic.

So I just finished looking at my flight record and saw at the point where the craft started acting weird the throttle and rudder sticks started going up and down side to side like someone had control of my controller. It got to the point where it was 15ft off the ground before I hit the return to home. I had my rth altitude set at 25m which was too low so I was able to raise it up to clear the trees...

Anybody else had anything remotely simular to this?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using MavicPilots mobile app
What firmware are you on?

Somebody (or lots of people) should start putting in a lot of WiFi / Phone-only stick time in and see if this behavior can be duplicated sans-controller.

One common these here.... this guy says "I'm a professional and the Mavic is a toy" right? He says "I read the manual word for word.... I did a compass calibration, and an IMU calibration...."

IT SAYS NOT TO DO A IMU CALIBRATION, unless the app tells you too?

I think every video I've seen with this issue has had the owner of the Mavic do a IMU CALIBRATION.

Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I agree with you on the point to NOT do any calibrations unless the controller says to, however this issue I'm seeing does not appear to have anything to do with IMU calibration. It's like a broken wire twitch or something along those lines, I haven't seen this issue with mine at all, I do believe to prove the controller is bad is for him to find another controller link it to his craft and see what happens. I can see it's not software I would pretty much bet there's some connection or part that's not up to par causing this.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

As far as magnetic interference it could be as simple as shielding or a power wire accidentally wrapped around another wire which would cause instability like this!

As far as magnetic interference it could be as simple as shielding or a power wire accidentally wrapped around another wire which would cause instability like this!

Missing the point, nothing near the controller can have influence on the gimbal calibration :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka