DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Took me this long to get GPS

If only my Mavic 3 worked that well I could be happy. Mine likes to bounce around 11 to 12 sats and takes forever to get a home point. Once its in the air it gathers sats pretty fast and its quick to lock again when the battery is changed. I am definitely in the 5 minute plus crowd for getting a strong signal on initial boot.

The uBlox chip is capable of offering all four of the major Satellite Constellations at the same time and shouldn't be taking any more time to flight than previous generations. DJI really needs to fix this pronto.

From the initial press release for the Mavic 3: "Mavic 3 comes with a new positioning algorithm that improves hovering precision with signals from GPS, GLONASS, and BeiDou satellites. This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than previous versions"

Reactions: rmajoran
5 Minutes? Holy cow.

From what I read, this lag came with a firmware update, yes? (The original M3 didn't have this long a wait?) If so, then this is likely fixable.

But I'll say this: I'm still shopping and haven't committed yet, and I certainly won't as long as there's a 5 minute boot up time.

Chris

RC-N1 has the least problems with GNSS. Most are with the RC-Pro without any network conection.

5 Minutes? Holy cow.

From what I read, this lag came with a firmware update, yes? (The original M3 didn't have this long a wait?) If so, then this is likely fixable.

But I'll say this: I'm still shopping and haven't committed yet, and I certainly won't as long as there's a 5 minute boot up time.

Chris
5 Minutes sounds good now, I moved into the 11 minute mark to get a home point lock.

I'm an old school Spark pilot and if I had to wait five plus minutes for a home point, it would be about half the flight time of the battery. :D

Home point recorded at one minute and forty seconds yet he’s not satisfied.
Just another example of a supposed pilot that doesn’t know the hardware that’s in his control.
Silly.

If only my Mavic 3 worked that well I could be happy. Mine likes to bounce around 11 to 12 sats and takes forever to get a home point. Once its in the air it gathers sats pretty fast and its quick to lock again when the battery is changed. I am definitely in the 5 minute plus crowd for getting a strong signal on initial boot.

The uBlox chip is capable of offering all four of the major Satellite Constellations at the same time and shouldn't be taking any more time to flight than previous generations. DJI really needs to fix this pronto.

From the initial press release for the Mavic 3: "Mavic 3 comes with a new positioning algorithm that improves hovering precision with signals from GPS, GLONASS, and BeiDou satellites. This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than previous versions"
I am using my RC Pro with both Air2S and the M3. The GPS lock is much much faster with my Air2S. So this is so far bull: "This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than previous versions". -- Total fail so far DJI as to that specific promise.

Home point recorded at one minute and forty seconds yet he’s not satisfied.
Just another example of a supposed pilot that doesn’t know the hardware that’s in his control.
Silly.

no no i am super happy i am not having those 5 - 10 min delays.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I am using my RC Pro with both Air2S and the M3. The GPS lock is much much faster with my Air2S. So this is so far bull: "This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than previous versions". -- Total fail so far DJI as to that specific promise.
My Air 2s locks in under 60 seconds so my experience is the same. I am confident that it will be fixed soon..... but perplexed that it isn't fixed already. As noted lots of times.... the original firmware that shipped in November did not have this issue. Our own member @TonyPHX posted a video yesterday, demonstrating that Sat lock can be achieved in less than 60 seconds using the initial firmware.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Suren
Another example of how easily DJI can include unwanted BUGS in firmware updates.
Or any hardware/software company....drones, autos, home security, phones, tablets, computers....ad infinitum.

Welcome to the 21st century!

Or any hardware/software company....drones, autos, home security, phones, tablets, computers....ad infinitum.

Yes, but is it a bug? I thought I'd read that DJI has disclosed that it was by design . What did they say (I can't find the reference), that it was to improve GPS lock accuracy?

Of course, it could be both a design change to improve accuracy, but also introducing a bug causing longer than reasonable wait times (as if it wasn't tested properly for all scenarios).

Chris

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yes, but is it a bug? I thought I'd read that DJI has disclosed that it was by design .
You'll find all kinds of comments from DJI's support people.
Many of them are completely untrue.
What did they say (I can't find the reference), that it was to improve GPS lock accuracy?
That suggestion does not stand up to any analysis.
There has never been a problem with GPS accuracy and forcing the M3 to sit around for several minutes with very slow sat acquisition wouldn't be a solution if GPS accuracy was a problem.

Yes ...it's definitely a bug and the reason that DJI's not been able to do something about it for two months is concerning.

I’ve always thought DJI should include some verbiage reading
”You may want to research this firmware prior to downloading”.
Certainly would help numerous people avoid some headaches.

What about the old chuck it in the fridge with beer and cool it down,,perform a IMU calibration like the phantoms, since air temp warmer than fridge it might lock GPS faster on start up just like this method speeds up IMU warm up time with some phantoms
Was just a crazy thought I had while reading

Turn it on and show it a screwdriver

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the old chuck it in the fridge with beer and cool it down,,perform a IMU calibration like the phantoms, since air temp warmer than fridge it might lock GPS faster on start up just like this method speeds up IMU warm up time with some phantoms
Was just a crazy thought I had while reading
GPS is completely different and separate from the IMU.
Cooling the drone won't make any difference to GPS acquisition times.

Yes, but is it a bug? I thought I'd read that DJI has disclosed that it was by design . What did they say (I can't find the reference), that it was to improve GPS lock accuracy?
Compare that to this from DJI's M3 launch announcement:
Mavic 3 comes with a new positioning algorithm that improves hovering precision with signals from GPS, GLONASS, and BeiDou satellites. This enables Mavic 3 to lock onto multiple satellite signals faster than previous versions.

Marketing hype and actual performance are quite often at different ends of the spectrum. If I believed every product marketing claim, I would be sorely disappointed.

That is one reason I didn't rush out to buy my M2P....I waited for the bugs to be ironed out so as to have an enjoyable experience flying. I also educated myself before taking to the air.

While the M3 has impressive features, I will wait for the wrinkles to be ironed out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle