DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Top Mounted Strobe

TX Steve

Reactions
I have not found anything about seeing 1 top mounted strobe if it can be seen 360° horizontally?

Does the flash interfere with photo or video on a Mavic 3 or Autel EVO II Dual 640T

I am looking at the Firehouse brand

I have not found anything about seeing 1 top mounted strobe if it can be seen 360° horizontally?

Does the flash interfere with photo or video on a Mavic 3 or Autel EVO II Dual 640T

Is this for night time flights, to warn manned aircraft, or for your own use as an aid to your seeing the drone ?

If the latter then I would suggest that the bottom of the drone is the best place followed perhaps by the rear of the drone or a rear leg. If you put it on the bottom of the drone be certain it doesn't interfere with the downward looking sensors.

Reactions: AeroJ and TX Steve
Is this for night time flights, to warn manned aircraft, or for your own use as an aid to your seeing the drone ?

If the latter then I would suggest that the bottom of the drone is the best place followed perhaps by the rear of the drone or a rear leg. If you put it on the bottom of the drone be certain it doesn't interfere with the downward looking sensors.
Yes it Is this for night time flights, to warn manned aircraft

"LOL" it's just money
Yup, it's money well spent. Just ordered one :cool:

Always wished they had some sort of "Delay" when one hit the "on" button so there was time to get the drone up and away, but this remote concept will do. BTW, I top mount mind for nearby aircraft since the Mavic 3 has a bottom white auxiliary light that I can toggle on/off, comes in handy at times, I would love to see DJI program that light to have short bursts like a strobe, but I don't believe that LED is designed for it.

Last edited:
Yup, it's money well spent. Just ordered one :cool:

Always wished they had some sort of "Delay" when one hit the "on" button so there was time to get the drone up and away, but this remote concept will do. BTW, I top mount mind for nearby aircraft since the Mavic 3 has a bottom white auxiliary light that I can toggle on/off, comes in handy at times, I would love to see DJI program that light to have short bursts like a strobe, but I don't believe that LED is designed for it.
I don't see why you cannot hit the remote button after the drone is hovering 10 feet high. I haven't tried it, but I did see that it works with multiple strobes so if you have 3 mounted, one press of the button activates all 3 at the same time.

Reactions: TX Steve

I mount strobes with Velcro on the top center of the drones. The only time the light affects photos and videos is when there's an object nearby (<25 feet?) or in fog or rain. The reflected light is the issue.

EDIT: That distance might be greater, especially for reflective surfaces.

Last edited:
I don't see why you cannot hit the remote button after the drone is hovering 10 feet high. I haven't tried it, but I did see that it works with multiple strobes so if you have 3 mounted, one press of the button activates all 3 at the same time.
That is what they say, after take off at close range you can turn it on.

I mount strobes with Velcro on the top center of the drones. The only time the light affects photos and videos is when there's an object nearby (<25 feet?) or in fog or rain. The reflected light is the issue.
Thank you, that is what I was worried about

"LOL" it's just money

Keep in mind, it's not just seeing the aircraft, it's knowing the orientation as well in cause your phone dies and you have no telemetry and have to rely on VLOS to get it home.

One flashing strobe is helpful, but probably won't help to know which direction the drone is facing.

I have this set up for the Mavic Air 2.

1719517097783.png

The Strobes are the older Firehouse Arc V's.

The mounts are from Aerial Pixel

As you stated, it's just money. 😃

Cant you tell the orientation from the LED's on the arms?

Cant you tell the orientation from the LED's on the arms?

You could, if you flew close enough.

The strobes are much brighter and have a visual range better than the stock LED's.

The stock LED's aren't meant for navigation lights, but indicators of the staus of the aircraft.

Rear for status, front for photo / video confirmation.

At least for my aircraft and I think it's the same for all DJI drones. 🤔

Check your manual.

Interesting thread! Will these work on a DJI Mini 3 without throwing it in to payload mode? I know I've read that adding the prop guards will do this, I wonder at what weight the drone will be forced in to this mode?

I wonder at what weight the drone will be forced in to this mode?

The Arc V's might.

Firehouse makes smaller strobes that are on a shrink wrapped circuit board that work well and weigh practically nothing. The Velcro mount might weigh more. :D

I used the smaller strobes in the past when I flew my SPARK but upgraded to the bigger strobes on the MA2.

Interesting thread! Will these work on a DJI Mini 3 without throwing it in to payload mode? I know I've read that adding the prop guards will do this, I wonder at what weight the drone will be forced in to this mode?
IIRC, any time the drone is thrown into payload mode, you can go into the menu and turn it OFF where it should stay for the remainder of the flight.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
perkki123