DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tossing a Mavic Pro Platinum

I think this is totally doable if one allows the Mavic to idle and then uses left stick up when tossing the Mavic. I am so tempted to try this off my roof. I bet you could hold the Mavic by the bottom and slowly increase throttle so that there is just a bit of upward pull and then just rach out and let go of Mavic and it will either hold position or ascend a bit.

You may not need to even touch the throttle.

There was a thread about a guy who had mavic idling inside a ship that took off uncontrollably and crashed with no input from the pilot.

The prevailing theory is that the ship went up on a wave and as it came down mavic sensed that it was falling and spooled up the motors to compensate.

I was going to try this today and awoke to lots of snow fall. Cant climb around on the roof and toss the Mavic in 30 MPH winds. Well, I could , but that makes for a disaster for the Mavic and possibly for me as well when I slide off the roof.

I was going to try this today and awoke to lots of snow fall. Cant climb around on the roof and toss the Mavic in 30 MPH winds. Well, I could , but that makes for a disaster for the Mavic and possibly for me as well when I slide off the roof.
San Jose CA?

Hi all, has anyone ever tried to hand toss a Mavic from significant heights with the propellers half-on?

Scenario: I live in a skyscraper and to take advantage of the height and clear line-of-sight I occasionally fly the drone in safety from the terrace. As I'm surrounded by (smaller) buildings, I would be forced to shorter distance and no LOS if I launched it from the ground. As the building is obviously made of steel, I hand-launch and hand-recover the MPP to avoid compass interferences.

Now, as I don't have a terrace surrounding all sides, to keep LOS and maximise signal transmission, I occasionally launch from a closed balcony when flying east. Which is an extra challenge.

In order to launch fully extend the right arm and keep the drone diagonally above my head and plants, so that propellers don't get caught into anything, and start them with the remote laid on a surface. Then I just gently pull the throttle and once I get liftoff I send it quickly away from me.

I usually start in Vision mode, without waiting for GPS lock, but allowing the drone to do so while hovering over a secure spot at the communal garden, to make sure it is recorded as the home point, and only then I let it fly away.

To hand-catch it, I usually turn it backwards (I could disable the collision detection, but backwards I also get a proper right-left orientation in case wind forces me to correct the direction). It never happened, but if I fail to hand-catch it due to sudden wind, I would just land it on the terrace or - as the last resort- on the ground and then recover it later.

I hate to say it, but the hand-launch is always more adrenalinic than the hand-catch, because with the latter you can always abort and try again or switch to the contingency plan. With this particular hand-launch, you are yet to fly.

Now the question: has anyone ever tried to toss a mavic from a balcony with the propellers on at min speed, to suddenly increase the throttle and distance right after? How would it react if failing to increase the throttle, is it smart enought to hover or would it fall down?

I was wondering if I could try tossing it on a bed or sofa, in safety. Has anyone ever tried?

Disclaimer: obviously all this is done only in low wind conditions. Done it a dozen times, no issue.
I believe that your method of taking off is potentially dangerous.
I don't want to go through the ethics here, but I'm assuming that there's little to no vertical clearance right after takeoff. This is extremely hazardous.

For a safe flight, the aircraft needs to lock on to atleast 12 sats & should be started on a flat open surface with plenty of vertical clearance.

Imagine a scenario where you are disconnected from the aircraft & it starts RTH.

Anyways, I have no idea about your question.

I believe that your method of taking off is potentially dangerous.
I don't want to go through the ethics here, but I'm assuming that there's little to no vertical clearance right after takeoff. This is extremely hazardous.

For a safe flight, the aircraft needs to lock on to atleast 12 sats & should be started on a flat open surface with plenty of vertical clearance.

Imagine a scenario where you are disconnected from the aircraft & it starts RTH.

Anyways, I have no idea about your question.

I one waits to acquire satellites and gets GPS lock then tossing the Mavic Horizontally outwards from a balcony seems doable. If RTH engages then the drone will fly straight up. I think a lot of this depends on how locked you are on multiple GPS satellites.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom