DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transmission towers and interference

AnGo

Reactions
Has anybody used a drone like the Mini close to transmission towers? Is there a potential risk of connection loss due to the massive electromagnetic fields that could jam the communication with the drone or confuse the internal sensors? There is a great spotting point where I really would like to fly, however there is also a ~50m tall transmission tower in that area with cellular/radiolink/other radio transmission antennas up there, so of course I don't like to put my MM at risk for that.

Last edited:
I live in an urban area in a hi rise building. There is a cellular antenna 150m away. I lost my MavPro1, due to loss of RC control. It had self landed in a construction dump. I recovered it by digging thru the rubble.

I used my Spark to survey the area, and discovered the tower at that time. I lost complete RC with it from 5-6m distance, and the tower was about 30m directly behind the Spark.

I’d say with high confidence tall towers could interfere catastrophically.

Be safe :)

I live in an urban area in a hi rise building. There is a cellular antenna 150m away. I lost my MavPro1, due to loss of RC control. It had self landed in a construction dump. I recovered it by digging thru the rubble.

I used my Spark to survey the area, and discovered the tower at that time. I lost complete RC with it from 5-6m distance, and the tower was about 30m directly behind the Spark.

I’d say with high confidence tall towers could interfere catastrophically.

Be safe :)

Thank you, I already expected something that way. Good to know it for sure, then I will find other nice spots instead.

Although the radiated frequency of the transmission tower will be different from the control frequency to your Mavic, there is a very good chance that if you get close to the transmission antennas, your Mavic will suffer due to the RF energy just inducing a whole lot of random electrical current in the control circuits of the drone. Dipole antennae aren't so bad because they are radiating equally in all directions - but if you have a parabolic antenna (looks like a covered drum), that can focus RF energy down to a beam, and you fly into that, it can be like hitting your drone with a fire-hose!

Although the radiated frequency of the transmission tower will be different from the control frequency to your Mavic, there is a very good chance that if you get close to the transmission antennas, your Mavic will suffer due to the RF energy just inducing a whole lot of random electrical current in the control circuits of the drone. Dipole antennae aren't so bad because they are radiating equally in all directions - but if you have a parabolic antenna (looks like a covered drum), that can focus RF energy down to a beam, and you fly into that, it can be like hitting your drone with a fire-hose!

Yes. You just also cannot hear a person singing while a boat horn honking. Electrical induction in the circuits is another thing on top. Sounds definitely a quite bad idea.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Has anybody used a drone like the Mini close to transmission towers? Is there a potential risk of connection loss due to the massive electromagnetic fields that could jam the communication with the drone or confuse the internal sensors? There is a great spotting point where I really would like to fly, however there is also a ~50m tall transmission tower in that area with cellular/radiolink/other radio transmission antennas up there, so of course I don't like to put my MM at risk for that.
Try search.....

I have done this with ample precaution of course....including crows that nest on these towers.
- not flying stationary too close to an antenna;
- keeping a 30-50 ft distance away from antenna;
- doing orbit starting at an altitude higher than the tower then working your way down is a preferred method too.
During the aftermath of Hurrican Florence in NC, I was contracted to do infrastructure overflight inspections to include high power transmission lines as well.
It makes for good practice to polish up on this skill...

ThumbswayupWhat others are saying. I tend to stay clear of towers with my mini and MA. I live in an urban area and do a pre-flight check of the flying area, particularly for towers. Here they try to disguise cell towers to look like (sort of) trees. Ha, look more like a bottle brush. Watch out for those, too ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_