DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transponder on drones in Sweden?

sw3De

Reactions
I talked to a guy yesterday that claimed that you will need to put a transponder on your drone (in Sweden) next year when the new rules start to apply. We will have the same rules as EU if I have understood things right.

Can anyone confirm this?

Are there any country that requires you to have a transponder on your drone?

It costs ~$2k to outfit a private plane with ADS-B. I doubt that many drone pilots are going to want to spend more than their drone cost them for ADS-B. It will also make the drone weigh more (battery/equipment/antennas). This seems really silly, considering drones can't fly higher than 400' above the nearest object.

My drone, an M2P has a dispensation until Dec 31 2022 from the new law that enters into force Jan 1 2021.
After Jan 1 2021, new drones sold must be equipped with the mentioned requirements, all in accordance with EU rules.

My drone, an M2P has a dispensation until Dec 31 2022 from the new law that enters into force Jan 1 2021.
After Jan 1 2021, new drones sold must be equipped with the mentioned requirements, all in accordance with EU rules.

Oh, that´s a bummer :)
Do you have a link to share? I looked att transportstyrelsen and luftfartsverket but haven't found anything about this.
Will this only affect drones >250 grams?
And will drones sold today, that will require a transponder, be outlawed 2023?

I found it.

From EASA regarding the new rules;
The new rules include technical as well as operational requirements for drones. On one hand they define the capabilities a drone must have to be flown safely. For instance, new drones will have to be individually identifiable, allowing the authorities to trace a particular drone if necessary. This will help to better prevent events similar to the ones which happened in 2018 at Gatwick and Heathrow airports.

I wonder how much a drone will cost after this..

I found it.

From EASA regarding the new rules;
The new rules include technical as well as operational requirements for drones. On one hand they define the capabilities a drone must have to be flown safely. For instance, new drones will have to be individually identifiable, allowing the authorities to trace a particular drone if necessary. This will help to better prevent events similar to the ones which happened in 2018 at Gatwick and Heathrow airports.

I wonder how much a drone will cost after this..
This has been discussed for a few years in the Aeromodelling world. One of the downsides discussed, was that the additional costs would discourage ' new and younger blood ' to the hobby. It's been argued that Aeromodellors have over the years had an input in full size development. I'm not overly worried, the hobby will continue, in this country at least.

Can anyone confirm this?

Unless I'm interpreting the new regulations wrongly, they will only apply to drones which fall into the new classes C1, C2, C3, C5 and C6. Legacy classes are not specifically mentioned. CAP 1789 is an outline of the new EU regulations which the UK will also be adopting (https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1789 Edition3 June2020 cor.pdf), due to come into effect at the start of 2021. On P13 it says:

Remote identification
While the sections of the DR relating to Class C1, C2, C3, C5 and C6 unmanned aircraft already describes requirements for these types to be fitted with a ‘direct remote identification’ system, the
IR amendment has now added a requirement from 2 December 2021 that operators in the specific category must ensure that each individual unmanned aircraft is installed with an active and up to date remote identification system. If the unmanned aircraft is not fitted with such a system, details of the requirements for a direct remote identification ‘add-on’ (for separate purchase) are contained in Part 6 of the DR.

Note: the remote identification requirements are security and privacy driven, rather than for safety reasons

DR=Delegated Regulation (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32019R0945&qid=1560241758085&from=EN). The sections in the DR about individual classes specify what the remote identification requirements are. As an example, this is the C1 class requirement:

have a direct remote identification that:
(a) allows the upload of the UAS operator registration number in accordance with Article 14 of Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 and exclusively following the process provided by the registration system;
(b) ensures, in real time during the whole duration of the flight, the direct periodic broadcast from the UA using an open and documented transmission protocol, of the following data, in a way that they can be received directly by existing mobile devices within the broadcasting range:

i the UAS operator registration number;
ii the unique physical serial number of the UA compliant with standard ANSI/CTA-2063;
iii the geographical position of the UA and its height above the surface or take-off point;
iv the route course measured clockwise from true north and ground speed of the UA; and
v the geographical position of the remote pilot or, if not available, the take-off point;

(c) ensures that the user cannot modify the data mentioned under paragraph (b) points ii, iii, iv and v;

The regulations will make it very difficult for people to ignore the rules with new drones that fall into these classes. Interesting to note that there seems to be no requirement for class C0 drones to have this remote identification capability which may make sub-250g drones much more popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: sw3De and Ramjam61
Unless I'm interpreting the new regulations wrongly, they will only apply to drones which fall into the new classes C1, C2, C3, C5 and C6. Legacy classes are not specifically mentioned. CAP 1789 is an outline of the new EU regulations which the UK will also be adopting (https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1789 Edition3 June2020 cor.pdf), due to come into effect at the start of 2021. On P13 it says:

Remote identification
While the sections of the DR relating to Class C1, C2, C3, C5 and C6 unmanned aircraft already describes requirements for these types to be fitted with a ‘direct remote identification’ system, the
IR amendment has now added a requirement from 2 December 2021 that operators in the specific category must ensure that each individual unmanned aircraft is installed with an active and up to date remote identification system. If the unmanned aircraft is not fitted with such a system, details of the requirements for a direct remote identification ‘add-on’ (for separate purchase) are contained in Part 6 of the DR.

Note: the remote identification requirements are security and privacy driven, rather than for safety reasons

DR=Delegated Regulation (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32019R0945&qid=1560241758085&from=EN). The sections in the DR about individual classes specify what the remote identification requirements are. As an example, this is the C1 class requirement:

have a direct remote identification that:
(a) allows the upload of the UAS operator registration number in accordance with Article 14 of Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 and exclusively following the process provided by the registration system;
(b) ensures, in real time during the whole duration of the flight, the direct periodic broadcast from the UA using an open and documented transmission protocol, of the following data, in a way that they can be received directly by existing mobile devices within the broadcasting range:

i the UAS operator registration number;
ii the unique physical serial number of the UA compliant with standard ANSI/CTA-2063;
iii the geographical position of the UA and its height above the surface or take-off point;
iv the route course measured clockwise from true north and ground speed of the UA; and
v the geographical position of the remote pilot or, if not available, the take-off point;

(c) ensures that the user cannot modify the data mentioned under paragraph (b) points ii, iii, iv and v;

The regulations will make it very difficult for people to ignore the rules with new drones that fall into these classes. Interesting to note that there seems to be no requirement for class C0 drones to have this remote identification capability which may make sub-250g drones much more popular.

Does this technology exist today, that fits and can be powered on a drone?
This takes my breath away, so sad, and at the same time I can see why they want this..

Does this technology exist today, that fits and can be powered on a drone?
This takes my breath away, so sad, and at the same time I can see why they want this..
It does and will secure our hobby. Without it, Authorities could just brush us under the carpet.

Reactions: sw3De
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52