DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel restrictions - do not take your drone to Turkey

"items containing lithium batteries and/or pyrotechnic material,"

Turkish Airlines ® | Flights to 110+ countries from İstanbul

IOW, just about every mobile/hand held device on the planet.

Hi, best to call the airline and explain as I had almost the same detail on the website for Thomas Cook. The text and link you provided is specifically related to Security Briefcases and Attache Cases as these are known to have had issues in the past - same goes for Hoverboards etc. It does not apply to cameras and other devices. I know it's confusing, and was the reason for my extensive checks - I think the people that have updated these websites have confused everyone.

If you click on the "Click to see the bigger picture" to the right of the text, you will see the text that allows you to carry the Mavic batteries and that they MUST be in your hand luggage - (Mavic batteries are approx 43.6wh each)
Untitled.jpg
I hope you get to take the amazing Mavic with you on your trip

Thinking of getting a Mavic specifically for a trip to Vietnam in 3 weeks, but I'm flying from the UK through Istanbul with Turkish so not so sure now o_O

I looked at all the posts and also the UK Governement Websites, plus the Turkey drone Registration site and finally I went to the airline desk at the airport - here are my conclusions.

1. You are all incorrect and giving poor advice.
2. The battery restrictions ONLY apply to "laptops, tablets and phones over the specified size, and also to devices or battery packs to be used with those items"
3. Drones are allowed in hand luggage, are allowed on Turkish Airlines and ARE allowed in to Turkey.
4. The battery for the Mavic is classed as a camera battery and not subject to the new restrictions.
5. The batteries, being approx 43wh capacity, MUST be carried in hand luggage and NOT in the hold.
6. The new Turkish drone registration system and legality is ONLY applicable to devices with a take off weight of 5kg or over, making the Mavic exempt.

How do I know all this to be 100% accurate? Because I've just returned from Turkey flying from Manchester in the UK, with the Mavic and 3 batteries and had absolutely no issues through any of the security checks. Yes they did request to look at the device and checked the power output of the batteries and said they were all OK.

I'm glad I did my research instead of relying on speculation and now have some great footage from around Antalya to remember my trip with.

Anyone wanting to ask any questions, please feel free. Happy flying and teşekkür ederim!
I looked at all the posts and also the UK Governement Websites, plus the Turkey drone Registration site and finally I went to the airline desk at the airport - here are my conclusions.

2. The battery restrictions ONLY apply to "laptops, tablets and phones over the specified size, and also to devices or battery packs to be used with those items"
3. Drones are allowed in hand luggage, are allowed on Turkish Airlines and ARE allowed in to Turkey.
4. The battery for the Mavic is classed as a camera battery and not subject to the new restrictions.
5. The batteries, being approx 43wh capacity, MUST be carried in hand luggage and NOT in the hold.
6. The new Turkish drone registration system and legality is ONLY applicable to devices with a take off weight of 5kg or over, making the Mavic exempt.

How do I know all this to be 100% accurate? Because I've just returned from Turkey flying from Manchester in the UK, with the Mavic and 3 batteries and had absolutely no issues through any of the security checks. Yes they did request to look at the device and checked the power output of the batteries and said they were all OK.

I'm glad I did my research instead of relying on speculation and now have some great footage from around Antalya to remember my trip with.

Anyone wanting to ask any questions, please feel free. Happy flying and teşekkür ederim!
Hi, I bought yesterday P4 from zurich and I am traveling tomorrow with turkish airline to istanbul for transit,the question is can i take it with me in hand luggage and it 's allowed to pass the transit security check without any problem.

I will be traveling from New York to Athens with a stop in Istanbul. After reading this thread I am very concerned! I got my Mavic for the sake of international travel as well. It seems as though this is all still in flux and I'm not sure if I should check the discharged batteries or carry them on. I guess the one positive is I haven't seen any horror stories posted here yet.

What about upon returning to the US? has anyone had any experience coming from Turkey?

I have started to see youtube videos that show people on return flights from Istanbul via Turkish Airlines... apparently electronics larger than a smart phone are now being taken from the owners and carefully bubble wrapped and packages into a Turkish Airlines luggage. It seems to be a nice gesture from the airlines but what im waiting for is actual people with a true experience of this... anyone have this done yet? I will be using Turkish airlines on a return flight in a month and im really 50/50 on handing over a drone,dslr, and gopro.

I have started to see youtube videos that show people on return flights from Istanbul via Turkish Airlines... apparently electronics larger than a smart phone are now being taken from the owners and carefully bubble wrapped and packages into a Turkish Airlines luggage. It seems to be a nice gesture from the airlines but what im waiting for is actual people with a true experience of this... anyone have this done yet? I will be using Turkish airlines on a return flight in a month and im really 50/50 on handing over a drone,dslr, and gopro.
Can you link to the youtube videos you are referring to?

Can you link to the youtube videos you are referring to?

this is more or less the process for any electronics larger than a smart phone....

If anyone has flown back to the U.S. and can share their experience I think it would be very beneficial at this point. I have called Turkish Airlines and gotten mixed information, called TSA in Miami and also got mixed information.

Last edited:

hello! thanks for your useful information. I am flying into Turkey for a holiday in a few days and I plan to fly my drone over the blue mosque& other structures. I was wondering if you have done the same since you mentioned that you went as well.

I am taking Turkish Airlines into Cappadocia and Pamukkale too. so i'm nervous with bringing the drone through. I have 2 batteries and because of reading your post I figured it will be OK. Thank you.

hello! thanks for your useful information. I am flying into Turkey for a holiday in a few days and I plan to fly my drone over the blue mosque& other structures. I was wondering if you have done the same since you mentioned that you went as well.

I am taking Turkish Airlines into Cappadocia and Pamukkale too. so i'm nervous with bringing the drone through. I have 2 batteries and because of reading your post I figured it will be OK. Thank you.

skysailing,
i live in istanbul and i fly turkish airlines frequently. i recently flew from and to seychelles, italy, abu dhabi and quite a few domestic destinations. my mavic was with me in the combo bag all the time and had no issues. i had no problems what so ever flying the mavic in istanbul and around either. however reading your plans regarding blue mosque, i wanted write a couple of words. blue mosque and similar structures are typically located in city center area where large crowds of people and vehicle traffic is present at all times. as many in eu jurisdictions, turkish regulation prohibits recreational drone flight in such areas. please be mindful. moreover all drones heavier then 500g are subject to registration.
turkey is dependent on tourism and that's a fact. but also turkey is paranoid about security and acts of terrorism. you will find police tolerant and people in general relaxed about the tourist hobbyist fly a drone or two but still be careful if you have the mavic in the air in midst of thousands of people in the city center. while on the other hand, there will be endless opportunities of dramatic footage in Cappadocia and Pamukkale and no risks as in Istanbul city center.
enjoy your travels..

skysailing,
i live in istanbul and i fly turkish airlines frequently. i recently flew from and to seychelles, italy, abu dhabi and quite a few domestic destinations. my mavic was with me in the combo bag all the time and had no issues. i had no problems what so ever flying the mavic in istanbul and around either. however reading your plans regarding blue mosque, i wanted write a couple of words. blue mosque and similar structures are typically located in city center area where large crowds of people and vehicle traffic is present at all times. as many in eu jurisdictions, turkish regulation prohibits recreational drone flight in such areas. please be mindful. moreover all drones heavier then 500g are subject to registration.
turkey is dependent on tourism and that's a fact. but also turkey is paranoid about security and acts of terrorism. you will find police tolerant and people in general relaxed about the tourist hobbyist fly a drone or two but still be careful if you have the mavic in the air in midst of thousands of people in the city center. while on the other hand, there will be endless opportunities of dramatic footage in Cappadocia and Pamukkale and no risks as in Istanbul city center.
enjoy your travels..

Thanks! I didn't fly it in Istanbul and only in cappadocia. I asked the security in Pamukkale and he said it is prohibited and so I didn't as well.

I do understand why it could be a threat to security especially with the things happening in the world today.

Thanks again for your reply.

I just emailed turkish airlines asking them if I could take my drone and my spare camera batteries with me and they replied with this.

"

Thank you for your email. First of all please note that due to IATA regulations Drones cannot be brought on the planes.

In regards to electrical ban, and what is allowed, please kindly refer to the detailed information below.

I have also below information in regards to Lithium Batteries.

We wish you a pleasant journey on Turkish Airlines

Lithium Batteries:

In regards to Lithium batteries that can be allowed for checked baggage, this is the information that we have;

100wh-160wh per passenger in each check-in baggage. You passenger will be fine, so long as they do not exceed 160wh.

Please find below additional link;

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/travel-information/baggage/dangerous-goods

Our hand luggage allowance is 8 kgs per person, and has to be max dimensions of 55x40x23 cm.

Bans apply from Istanbul to UK Airports, on the outward flight there are no restrictions.

The process for Electrical items from Istanbul are;

At the gate there will be dedicated staff that will take the electrical items from the passengers and will get the passengers to sign against their details.

They are then given a stub, similar that of boarding passes, which passengers needs to keep, as it will have their reference number on them.

These items get wrapped individually in bubble wrap and then placed in secure hard suitcases which gets loaded in the hold of the aircraft.

When the aircraft lands in UK, these luggages gets offloaded and my colleagues will them take these over, and set up a stand in Baggage reclaim next to the baggage belt.

Passengers can then collect their electronic items once my colleagues there have cross referenced and checked the information.

Power Bank information;

As per new regulations POWER BANKS over 16.0cm long, 9.3 cm wide and 1.5 cm are not allowed in the hand luggage nor in the hold luggage therefore are considered prohibited items. Therefore the power bank was probably kept in Istanbul and cannot be sent to LHR.

“Definition of devices to which the measures apply ; The measures apply to laptops, tablets and phones except those with dimensions smaller than 16.0cm long, 9.3 cm wide and 1.5 cm deep. For the avoidance of doubt we consider this would include e-readers.

The measures also apply to certain peripherals for use with such devices, which for these purposes should be taken to comprise

- Keyboards

- Power cable transformers

- Spare or separate device batteries

- Portable power sources

- External hard drives

again except for those with dimension smaller than those shown above Existing safety regulations state that spare/separate batteries and portable power sources of any size cannot be carried in hold baggage. Our new request prohibits such items designed for use with laptops, tablets and phones, from the cabin of the aircraft if the peripheral item itself is not within the dimensions highlighted above. Therefore such items can no longer be carried in the aircraft cabin or hold on affected routes.

Electrical Restrictions;

All Lap tops

All Tablets such as Ipads

All E-Readers such as Kindles

Mobiles phones larger than 16cm in length 9.3cm wide 1.5cm deep

The following ‘Plus’ Phones are permitted

• iPhone 7 Plus

• Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge

• Samsung Galaxy Note 3

• LG G3

• Sony Xperia Z2

These regulations come into force from midnight local time on Saturday 25th March.

The restrictions apply to all passengers travelling from Istanbul or through Istanbul, eg if your journey is Bangkok-Istanbul-London

The restrictions DO NOT apply on flights departing from the United Kingdom"

As far as I understand I cannot travel with the drone however I cannot see how putting this in your check in baggage will be a problem. Even telling me that 160wh was the limit. I do not know where they got IATA regulations doesn't allow a drone to be brought onto a plane sounds like nonsense to me. Do you guys recommend me putting it into my check in with the battery disconnected from the drone. The electronic device ban is only when coming into UK and not going out so I'm guessing I either have to risk getting my battery confiscated or check it in? I hope this has cleared things up however I am still confused to how some of you have flown with your Mavic when I was told it was not allowed :s

Im going on a similar trip, except from USA and then obviously back to USA.... I understand going through and/or through Turkey from UK (or USA) will be no problem everything is carry on and batteries discharged to less than 25%. Im still confused about the trip back to UK (or USA)... ive been told they will take the electronics and wrap them up, stow in a hard case and then reclaim when at your home destination BUT there is nothing concrete out there to say that's EXACTLY what happens... Im honestly about to pack my stuff and ship it back to Miami from Italy! If anyone can shine light on the ACTUAL process that will be great.... Youtube has some videos if you search Turkish Airlines that show the process of taking electronics and how they wrap and stow them... awesome on their part but Im like everyone else, I don't want to give up my electronics!

As far as I understand I cannot travel with the drone however I cannot see how putting this in your check in baggage will be a problem. Even telling me that 160wh was the limit. I do not know where they got IATA regulations doesn't allow a drone to be brought onto a plane sounds like nonsense to me. Do you guys recommend me putting it into my check in with the battery disconnected from the drone. The electronic device ban is only when coming into UK and not going out so I'm guessing I either have to risk getting my battery confiscated or check it in? I hope this has cleared things up however I am still confused to how some of you have flown with your Mavic when I was told it was not allowed :s

This has got pretty messy hasn't it.

In theory and I emphasise the 'theory', for the flight to the UK at least, the drone batteries should not be a problem as they are not designed for 'laptops, tablets and phones', BUT... the chances of the airline staff knowing that and reacting favorably are slender to none...

There are no IATA regulations that prohibit drones from being in the cabin, but there are some airlines that do have that rule or at least the staff believe they do have the rule so again, being right may not be all that helpful.

Drone in the check bag should be fine though just make sure it is well packed and protected.

The battery is a different matter though, don't put it in the checked bag. Especially not disconnected from the drone, that is strictly prohibited everywhere and has been for a while now.

Again, in theory, you could pack one battery installed in the Mavic in your checked bags, but I don't recommend it.

Personally I'd be looking at Fedex/UPS to ship the packs back but even there you will have to check what they are prepared to ship as there is often a limit as low as 2, on the number of packs you can ship, even with packs as small as the Mavic.

This has got pretty messy hasn't it.

In theory and I emphasise the 'theory', for the flight to the UK at least, the drone batteries should not be a problem as they are not designed for 'laptops, tablets and phones', BUT... the chances of the airline staff knowing that and reacting favorably are slender to none...

There are no IATA regulations that prohibit drones from being in the cabin, but there are some airlines that do have that rule or at least the staff believe they do have the rule so again, being right may not be all that helpful.

Drone in the check bag should be fine though just make sure it is well packed and protected.

The battery is a different matter though, don't put it in the checked bag. Especially not disconnected from the drone, that is strictly prohibited everywhere and has been for a while now.

Again, in theory, you could pack one battery installed in the Mavic in your checked bags, but I don't recommend it.

Personally I'd be looking at Fedex/UPS to ship the packs back but even there you will have to check what they are prepared to ship as there is often a limit as low as 2, on the number of packs you can ship, even with packs as small as the Mavic.

So do you recommend I keep the drone in checked baggage but travel with the battery in my hold baggage ?

My father travelled from Antalya to the UK recently and he said they had a procedure where everyone had to put their phone through a letter box shape with the allowable dimensions and if your device fit through there you were allowed to travel with it and if not it had to stay behind.

I'm not sure if that would be the same for extra batteries though.

So do you recommend I keep the drone in checked baggage but travel with the battery in my hold baggage ?

My father travelled from Antalya to the UK recently and he said they had a procedure where everyone had to put their phone through a letter box shape with the allowable dimensions and if your device fit through there you were allowed to travel with it and if not it had to stay behind.

I'm not sure if that would be the same for extra batteries though.
Sorry I meant travel with the battery in my hand baggage

Sorry I meant travel with the battery in my hand baggage

To be honest, no.

I don't recommend that you attempt to bring the batteries back with you on the plane.

The rules shouldn't stop you doing that (for a UK destination, USA is different) but I don't think the staff you will encounter will be anything other than concerned and will refuse them.

Under no circumstances should you try to ship spare packs in the checked bags.

For absolute safety I'd probably aim to ship the drone and the battery packs home via Fedex or similar. There are also advantages in the shipping rules for shipping the packs 'with equipment'.

What about the Mavic controller what happens with regard to travelling with that does it go in the check in baggage also? I just pre ordered the spark and was hoping I would be fine travelling with it but seems like it's just as frustrating!

Mavic controller can go in checked bags as it has the battery contained within it.

Ideally protect the 'on' button but that is easy with one of the cheap 'hard' pouches on ebay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones