DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling to Arizona in November. Any suggestions?

NOLADG

Reactions
Hey, I will be flying to Phoenix Arizona in a week and traveling by car to the Prescott-Sedona area and up to Page. Spending two nights at each location. We plan on doing lots of hiking and I will be bringing cameras of flying and non-flying types. If your local to the area or traveled to the area before and have any suggestions or advice on:
  1. Where to fly legally
  2. Where not to fly
  3. Great hiking areas
  4. Places not to miss
  5. The extremes of the weather (I see 88 - 31 Fahrenheit in the forecast)
  6. Halloween events in Phoenix
  7. Great or unusual eating places in the area.
I have checked out the UAVCoach articles of Where to fly in Phoenix and UAV Laws in Arizona which are sometimes outdated and I do use Airmap for places to fly/not fly and will check for TFR in the area.

Thanks in advance for the input

In Sedona I highly recommend Dahl and Deluca for restaurant. We go every time there. Reservations STRONGLY advised. Several good restaurants in Telaquepaque if it’s open.

For flying around Sedona be careful as most of the cool vistas are in National Wilderness areas... it is possible though.

Any Suggestions?
After AZ, hit the other 47 lower, then hop a plane to the 2 detached. Photo/video your drone journeys and keep us posted.

Don’t I wish I could!!!

Reactions: NOLADG
In Sedona, you will need to avoid Wilderness areas, Munds Mountain to the east and Red Rock Secret Mountain to the north. There are still plenty of areas to use your drone and lots of great scenery. A few years ago, they placed a bunch of "No Drone Zone" signs all around, but I heard that they were placed illegally and last year when I was there, they were gone.

Two of my favorite Sedona hikes are Bell Rock-Courthouse Butte and Brins Mesa.

Last edited:
In Page for hikes and land cameras check into going to Antelope canyon both upper and lower, the Lake Powell area, the dam, Horse Shoe Bend, if extremely lucky get a BLM permit to hike into The Wave. As far as flying your drone I have never tried that in that area or on the Navajo Reservation.

In Page for hikes and land cameras check into going to Antelope canyon both upper and lower, the Lake Powell area, the dam, Horse Shoe Bend, if extremely lucky get a BLM permit to hike into The Wave. As far as flying your drone I have never tried that in that area or on the Navajo Reservation.
Antelope Canyon is very cool. Unfortunately, it is closed, at least until the end of the year , secondary to Covid

If you are in the Prescott, I would head up to Jerome and check the scenery and flying there. Beautiful scenic ride from Prescott via 89A over Mingus Mtn. Then continue on 89A to Sedona. There is a parking area that has a walking trail to the airport mesa vortex and a beautiful overlook of Sedona just across the street. Jerome has a haunted mine, haunted restaurants, and well just about everything in Jerome is haunted!

Thank you all who responded. I have looked at the

@Thomas B: My wife is not a big fan of Italian, however I checked out the whole Dahl Restaurant group and the chef Lisa Dahl sounds like something to check out. Have you ever been to Mariposa?

@natgild @baristabob I definitely will be avoiding the Wilderness areas and Reservations and I don't plan to apply for any permits as droning is not the biggest priority on our vacation. I am one to follow the laws and guidelines to avoid making it worse for future droning.

@natgild Thanks for mentioning the No Drone Zone signs in Sedona. I had seen the Mavicpilots thread and read they were unenforceable. Glad to hear they have been removed.

Hey, I will be flying to Phoenix Arizona in a week and traveling by car to the Prescott-Sedona area and up to Page. Spending two nights at each location. We plan on doing lots of hiking and I will be bringing cameras of flying and non-flying types. If your local to the area or traveled to the area before and have any suggestions or advice on:
  1. Where to fly legally
  2. Where not to fly
  3. Great hiking areas
  4. Places not to miss
  5. The extremes of the weather (I see 88 - 31 Fahrenheit in the forecast)
  6. Halloween events in Phoenix
  7. Great or unusual eating places in the area.
I have checked out the UAVCoach articles of Where to fly in Phoenix and UAV Laws in Arizona which are sometimes outdated and I do use Airmap for places to fly/not fly and will check for TFR in the area.

Thanks in advance for the input
Not trying to be rude but helpful. If your not formilur with these areas check weather reports. It is very cold this time of year. Lots of people think all of as AZ is hot all year.

Not trying to be rude but helpful. If your not formilur with these areas check weather reports. It is very cold this time of year. Lots of people think all of as AZ is hot all year.
As the title suggested, this is an older thread where I visited the state in November 2020. But your suggestion is very valid! During the first week of November, we encountered temperatures from high 80's to mid 30's Fahrenheit. However with the low humidity this was quite acceptable and we found we had packed/dressed too warmly for most of our outings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98