DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling to Thailand

Hello collins,

thank you for opinion.
I have no idea of the Thai law system, so I really appreciate your advice.
I will be in Thailand for half a year and plan to fly my drone regularly (only private, and of course not next to temples ..)
I won‘t have a work permit, so would you suggest not applying for the license, even if it was for 6 months?

So under exactly what visa are you staying 6 months in Thailand?

Non-immigrant visa ED

i dont really see it as much different from a 'tourist visa'. Toqualify for the license you must admit to the 'knowledge/expertise' that qualifies that if you use it, it is work.

i dont really see it as much different from a 'tourist visa'. Toqualify for the license you must admit to the 'knowledge/expertise' that qualifies that if you use it, it is work.

Alright then, I‘ll trust you and fly my drone without a license :p
No honestly, thanks for your advice, this might be the best solution.

I have lived in Thailand for many years and have been using a drone in Thailand for the last few months with no problems whatsoever. I have also used it and flown in from Bangkok to China, Indonesia and Myanmar without the slightest interest of the airport authorities.

I really wouldnt advise any foreign tourists to obtain a operating license for a Mavic if you have arrived under a tourist visa. (For commercial use or even non-commercial use if you have a work visa obviously it becomes far more necessary.)

I will explain why but first you have to realize that Thai Law is written in a 'deliberately' 'opaque' way. If you look at where you are legally allowed to fly it is pretty much nowhere but it is not to stop flying but to have the power to prosecute anyone who is doing something they dont like.

Now as to why a 'foreign tourist' is potentially going to get himself in a 'lot more trouble' having a 'license' than not having a 'license'

Under the MOT announcement on drones (RPA) https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Announcement-of-the-Ministry-of-Transport.pdf you will note under Article 9 1.c and 1.d in order to qualify for a license you must have

...knowledge and skills to control the drone and...
...knowledge and understanding of rules of the air...

...pretty straight forward right

But if you use that 'knowledge' under Thai Law you are deemed to be 'working'

That might not make sense to you but under the 2008 Alien Labor Act http://www.mol.go.th/sites/default/files/downloads/pdf/WORKING_OF_ALIEN_ACT_2551_DOE.pdf which naturally states that a foreigner cannot 'work' without a work permit it is very important to understand the definition of 'work' and under section 5 it defines work.

"Work" means engaging in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits;

Now I am sure you all think that is a complete nonsense in terms of the definition of 'work' - how can it be 'work' if I am not being paid. But there is an absolute mass of case law to back it up. I would guess the original idea was so they could prosecute foreigners 'actually working' but being paid overseas but it has been used against say foreigners on condo management committees (which are unpaid) and even charity workers.

So seriously, as soon as you show 'someone' your 'license' that you are allowed to fly, they will likely ask to see your 'work permit'. And when you say you dont have a 'work permit', they will ask 'why you have a license if you are not working' or 'why are you working without a work permit.'

P.S. The maximum sentence for working without a work permit is 5 years in jail.

Good to know! Im moving to Thailand within a year, my wife is from Ubon Rachatani and we are in the process of finishing our house there. I was gonna buy a Mavic today, but your post is giving me second thoughts. I don't want to invest in Thailand only to be kicked out of the country for using a drone. Perhaps that won't happen if I have a work permit?

A good friend of ours and his wife visited Thailand last January, he got his astrological chart done by a monk in Chaing Mai. The Monk told him he would get a lot of money in April. He decided to buy 3 lottery tickets in April for the first time in his life, and won the State lottery..... they are now living in Chaing mai..... ha! His wife knows we are moving there and said she got her (farag) husband a work permit when applying for the visa from the USA. She said it was very easy and when the times comes for us to go will tell me how to do it. I also have a lot of Video gear C100's C300's gimbals, etc. I am bring.

I was on the fence about the Mavic, or the P4 pro, because of the superior image. The Mavic was/is appealing to me for the express purpose of taking it to Thailand without a massive backpack. I know Thailand pretty well and the chances of the police cracking down on you are fairly slim, but if they want I guess they can get you for anything.

Yea, I've flown into Thailand dozens of times and have never been stopped leaving the baggage claim exit in Suvarnabhumi, in fact I rarely see any one there, and I've brought all kinds of gear to Thailand.

Last edited:
Alright then, I‘ll trust you and fly my drone without a license :p
No honestly, thanks for your advice, this might be the best solution.

Hi MaxD since August has come gone, did you take your mavic? did you have any issues with Bangkok or any other airport in Thailand? Also which airline did you fly with?

I really want to travel with my mavic also to Thailand and don't want it confiscated or be fined for just flying it to capture some good images and video.

Cheers

Arif

Hi MaxD since August has come gone, did you take your mavic? did you have any issues with Bangkok or any other airport in Thailand? Also which airline did you fly with?

I really want to travel with my mavic also to Thailand and don't want it confiscated or be fined for just flying it to capture some good images and video.

Cheers

Arif

Hello Arif,

I flew with Thai Airways. At Zurich Airport, they wanted to see all the batteries (2 of them) at the security check. I think they were more interested in the drone than really checking it for safety.
Since them, I didn't have any problems. Nobody ever cared for my drone. I didn't fly the drone in the Bangkok area, but Pattaya and surrounding islands. Of course, I always flew with caution and tried to avoid flying next to people.

I think you can bring your drone to Thailand without any problems, try to take care of the people and the nature and you will be safe.

Hello Arif,

I flew with Thai Airways. At Zurich Airport, they wanted to see all the batteries (2 of them) at the security check. I think they were more interested in the drone than really checking it for safety.
Since them, I didn't have any problems. Nobody ever cared for my drone. I didn't fly the drone in the Bangkok area, but Pattaya and surrounding islands. Of course, I always flew with caution and tried to avoid flying next to people.

I think you can bring your drone to Thailand without any problems, try to take care of the people and the nature and you will be safe.

Hi MaxD

Thanks for you input,

I'm also flying Thai airways but from Heathrow airport, I do generally isolate the batteries anyway.

Did you you pack the drone in carry on or checked luggage?

I don't intend to fly in Bangkok but more in koh Samui and surrounding islands, always do fly with caution and avoid large groups of people.

I fly in December so hopefully everything will be fine,

Cheers

Arif

Considering Thailand hot and humid climate , should I take any special precaution?

There was/is a lot of misinformation on this thread and it caused me quite a bit of stress before my trip to Thailand (just got back). In an effort to save future mavic pilots going to Thailand, I'll share my experience.

I just spent two weeks in Thailand flying to Bangkok, then flying to Phuket, then flying to Chang Mai, then bus to Sukhothai, then flying back to Bangkok, then flying back to DC. I had absolutely no issues in any airport, not even a question. I have a hard carrying case and took it with me via carry on in a backpack. I removed the hard case and sent it through xray alone and never even had to open to show anyone.

Flying in Thailand, I had no issues, but I was also not very adventurous. I did not fly in/around temples out of respect. I did do a fly over on an empty mountain Wat but that's it. I did not fly in Sukhothai since it's a UNESCO site and there were/are guards everywhere (although at certain times I felt I could've flown without much issue). I flew in Phuket but did not fly over people on the beach, only water/apartments. I wanted to fly in Bangkok over the city but just didn't get a chance, I don't think I would've had much issue. In terms of software restrictions, it's nothing like the Washington DC area -- you can basically fly just about anywhere but I think it's more of an "unwritten rule" not to fly around temples, national parks, etc. I also flew the drone at Cheowlan lake without issue.

Just be smart about it and you're fine. I didn't fill out any CAAT forms or whatever, no insurance, etc. Just bring your drone, don't fly around temples, don't fly around police/park enforcement, and be respectful of tourists around you. Have fun!

There was/is a lot of misinformation on this thread and it caused me quite a bit of stress before my trip to Thailand (just got back). In an effort to save future mavic pilots going to Thailand, I'll share my experience.

I just spent two weeks in Thailand flying to Bangkok, then flying to Phuket, then flying to Chang Mai, then bus to Sukhothai, then flying back to Bangkok, then flying back to DC. I had absolutely no issues in any airport, not even a question. I have a hard carrying case and took it with me via carry on in a backpack. I removed the hard case and sent it through xray alone and never even had to open to show anyone.

Flying in Thailand, I had no issues, but I was also not very adventurous. I did not fly in/around temples out of respect. I did do a fly over on an empty mountain Wat but that's it. I did not fly in Sukhothai since it's a UNESCO site and there were/are guards everywhere (although at certain times I felt I could've flown without much issue). I flew in Phuket but did not fly over people on the beach, only water/apartments. I wanted to fly in Bangkok over the city but just didn't get a chance, I don't think I would've had much issue. In terms of software restrictions, it's nothing like the Washington DC area -- you can basically fly just about anywhere but I think it's more of an "unwritten rule" not to fly around temples, national parks, etc. I also flew the drone at Cheowlan lake without issue.

Just be smart about it and you're fine. I didn't fill out any CAAT forms or whatever, no insurance, etc. Just bring your drone, don't fly around temples, don't fly around police/park enforcement, and be respectful of tourists around you. Have fun!

I can not understand your false accusation of misinformation.
I’ll try to give an update again. My time of 6 months in Thailand is ending soon.
CAAT has contacted me last week almost half a year after I sent them my documents to apply for the license!! I declined it with thanks.

Just to clarify this, and especially for bbarker (!): It is forbidden by law to fly the drone in Thailand at all. I don’t know about the official status that you’ll find on the CAAT website, but I asked a few guards here, and some of them forbade me to fly.
Just because you had no issues when flying here doesn’t mean it is not forbidden! LOL

Concluding my experiences here:
- I didn’t get into any serious trouble here at all. Not on any airport and not when flying.
- If you are planning to fly in Bangkok, forget it. 1) There is nothing to see on a drone video IMO. 2) I wouldn’t fly over the city at all.
- I flew in the Krabi area, the Islands, and one evening in the South of Phuket without a problem.
- I asked a guard in a bycicle nature park in Bangkok and one in this nature habitat next to the Phi Phi Islands, both said No when I pointed to my drone. Maybe because it is officialy forbidden, maybe because they were unsure and didn’t want to to anything wrong.
—> Although it is forbidden in Thailand, you shouldn’t miss the chance to fly here IMO. Always keep cautious, try to avoid danger and issues at all. Nobody will seriously punish you for flying the drone. But be prepared to immediately take it down when a guard asks you for that.
Worst case (what I read here in the forums) is you have to pay a small amount to the police. I haven’t heard of anything stricter than that.

I can not understand your false accusation of misinformation.
I’ll try to give an update again. My time of 6 months in Thailand is ending soon.
CAAT has contacted me last week almost half a year after I sent them my documents to apply for the license!! I declined it with thanks.

Just to clarify this, and especially for bbarker (!): It is forbidden by law to fly the drone in Thailand at all.

You dont have much idea what you are talking about. Very simply. If you can apply for a license to fly a drone in Thailand, it cannot, by definition, be 'forbidden by law to fly the drone in Thailand at all.'

The only 'Law' that I know of pertaining to the use of Drones in Thailand is 2015 'Drone' Act.

You dont have much idea what you are talking about. Very simply. If you can apply for a license to fly a drone in Thailand, it cannot, by definition, be 'forbidden by law to fly the drone in Thailand at all.'

The only 'Law' that I know of pertaining to the use of Drones in Thailand is 2015 'Drone' Act.

Hi collins,
sure, when you got the license, you are allowed. I thought that was obvious.
Anyone else without the license will not be allowed to fly a vehicle with a camera attached. That’s how far I know, what I have experienced and what I have read about.

How can you say you know what is allowed and tell me I have no idea what I am talking about? Sorry, but that is not how I like a conversation to be, that is under my niveau. I am just trying to help and am aboslutely not in a mood to listen to others accousing me of misinformation and knowing nothing.
Thats it, I’m out.

Not worth the argument, but don't agree it's forbidden, otherwise they would restrict drones at the airport.

My initial point I was trying to make, that you reiterated, is that you should absolutely bring your drone to Thailand because the landscapes are amazing. Be respectful and careful and you shouldn't have any issues. I was stressing due to fear of my drone being taken at the airports but decided to risk it anyways and I'm glad I did. Absolutely no issues at any airport, large or small.

I also inquired with the tour operaters and they stated drones are technically not allowed at temples or national parks and they asked me not to fly while on the tour because of their business license (completely understandable). If you can get off the beaten path in Thailand, enjoy the drone footage and flying experience!

Not worth the argument, but don't agree it's forbidden, otherwise they would restrict drones at the airport.

My initial point I was trying to make, that you reiterated, is that you should absolutely bring your drone to Thailand because the landscapes are amazing. Be respectful and careful and you shouldn't have any issues. I was stressing due to fear of my drone being taken at the airports but decided to risk it anyways and I'm glad I did. Absolutely no issues at any airport, large or small.

I also inquired with the tour operaters and they stated drones are technically not allowed at temples or national parks and they asked me not to fly while on the tour because of their business license (completely understandable). If you can get off the beaten path in Thailand, enjoy the drone footage and flying experience!

I couldn’t agree more.

Only the first part you’re wrong. While living here I learned a thing:
Many things here are “forbidden”. And everybody knows they are forbidden. But no one cares at all. As long as you are not bothering someone here, you’ll have absolutely no problems.

Hi collins,
sure, when you got the license, you are allowed. I thought that was obvious.
Anyone else without the license will not be allowed to fly a vehicle with a camera attached. That’s how far I know, what I have experienced and what I have read about.

How can you say you know what is allowed and tell me I have no idea what I am talking about? Sorry, but that is not how I like a conversation to be, that is under my niveau. I am just trying to help and am aboslutely not in a mood to listen to others accousing me of misinformation and knowing nothing.
Thats it, I’m out.

Honestly, I realize you have been in Thailand for 6 months and think you understand the 'Law' but I can promise you, you do not.

I have lived here for over 20 years and employ a lawyer. So I can absolutely promise you dont have the first idea what you are talking about.

For instance, you state above that if you get a license to operate a drone from the CAAT, you are legally allowed to do so. That is not in fact the case unless you have a 'work permit'. If you have a license without a work permit and fly your drone you are in fact in breach of the 'working of the Alien Act B.E. 2551'

Secondly you imply that it is 'illegal' to use any drone with a camera in Thailand without a license. Again this is simply not true. There is a regulation from the CAAT which says you need a license if the drone has a camera but this is not the 'Law'. For it to become 'Law' it would need an amendment to the 2015 'Drone' Act which has not happened.

Your basic premise 'that it is illegal to use a drone in Thailand at all' is clearly wrong as there wouldnt have a Law (2015 drone Law) which clearly indicates the terms under which you can use a drone. Why would you institute a Law that states 'you are not allowed to fly within 9km of an airport' if in fact you are not allowed to fly at all.

If you simply state 'it is simply forbidden to fly a drone in Thailand at all' you are simply spreading 'misinformation' because it simply isnt true.

BTW, I fully agree with the concept that you should bring a drone to Thailand if you want to use it. BY bringing a drone to Thailand you are not breaking any Law but you of course run the risk of breaking the Law if you fly it against the existing Law.

Last edited:
Wow it seems you are only posting here to show people you have some knowledge. Why didn’t you tell us those information in the first place?

There is this one “it is forbidden” sentence I wrote, and you reply with a huge text of arguments, paragraphs and whatever. BORING.
I was trying to say it is somehow forbidden, please be cautious and don’t think you can fly where you want. Not more and not less.

Wow it seems you are only posting here to show people you have some knowledge. Why didn’t you tell us those information in the first place?
Actually I did already post this information on the first page of this thread.

In fact you even read it as you posted 'I have no idea of the Thai law system, so I really appreciate your advice.'

I only repeated it to correct what you recently posted.

Reactions: pixl
Hi All,

I’m in Thailand right now and although I haven’t flown in Bangkok thinking there is just way to many high rise towers, didn’t want to risk crashing into anything.

I am in Koh Samui now and have had no issues at any airport in Thailand, no issues with Thai airways or Bangkok Airways, I have flown in Koh Samui on beach and some other areas also with no issues with anyone.

I will let you know how I get on at Koh Toa & Koh Nang Yuan when I go there with flying my drone.

With regards to it being illegal or not, I am not sure but no one has said anything. I’m yet to even see a police officer in Samui to even ask if it’s allowed.

There is a sort of amnesty for registration *for now* but after January in theory they'll start enforcing.
The CAAT has rules about how to fly (90m max altitude, not near airports etc, not near large groups of people). They aren't allowed in national parks (and Thailand has a lot of national park) and i have seen several people fined (random amounts ranging from tiny to large) for breaking that rule.

Its certainly not "forbidden" - registration is going to be required soon, some places like national parks are off limits but that doesn't mean "forbidden". There are plenty of places a legit, registered drone user can fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121