DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling to Thailand

kjmarino

Reactions
Hi All,

I am going to be travelling to Thailand (Koh Phi Phi) with my Mavic Pro in August and I wanted to see if anyone had any insight to bringing my Mavic into the country?
I've been told I have to register my Mavic in order to use it in the country but the Thailand civil aviation authority website is pretty confusing, as well as the supposed form for registering a drone is in Thai.
Has anyone gone through this process before? Or any other ideas to bringing my Mavic into the country?

Many thanks!!

Reactions: Former Member
I went for a visit back in March and it went without a hitch. I brought a copy of the Thai drone laws written in Thai whenever I flew, and I didnt have to show it to anyone.

My wife cautioned me not to fly over temples if there are monks inside. Stay far away from military bases, and if you see police and it looks like they are going to ask you something, it's best to land immediately, even if you dont understand what they are saying.

If possible, make sure you have some type of nonrecoverable drone insurance. If you should crash, or your drone should vanish from some place you left it, make sure you're covered.

Have fun and safe travels.

Reactions: kjmarino
I went for a visit back in March and it went without a hitch. I brought a copy of the Thai drone laws written in Thai whenever I flew, and I didnt have to show it to anyone.

My wife cautioned me not to fly over temples if there are monks inside. Stay far away from military bases, and if you see police and it looks like they are going to ask you something, it's best to land immediately, even if you dont understand what they are saying.

If possible, make sure you have some type of nonrecoverable drone insurance. If you should crash, or your drone should vanish from some place you left it, make sure you're covered.

Have fun and safe travels.

Thank you Thunderdrones for that information! That helps a lot!
Also, when you flew into Thailand (I'm flying from London) was there any problem through airport security/customs? Did you have to declare your drone?
This is my first time travelling with a drone so I'm just new to all of this!

Reactions: Former Member
Also, when you flew into Thailand (I'm flying from London) was there any problem through airport security/customs? Did you have to declare your drone?

Not a single problem, not even a question, from customs on either side. I did remember to bring a receipt showing that I bought it from the USA, but I didn't have to show it to anyone along the way. I carried on the drone and batteries, had the contacts on the batteries covered, and made sure it didn't leave my sight.

Who are you flying with? I'd check your airlines conditions, with Emirates, you have to check your mavic in with your hold luggage, but your batteries in hand luggage. I've just ordered a hard case for my mavic for my travels to Thailand and NZ in September with Emirates.

Who are you flying with? I'd check your airlines conditions, with Emirates, you have to check your mavic in with your hold luggage, but your batteries in hand luggage. I've just ordered a hard case for my mavic for my travels to Thailand and NZ in September with Emirates.

Good idea. Airlines have different regulations.

I'm flying with British Airways and AirAsia.
British Airways are okay with taking drones and batteries in their cabin bag. The only restriction is the battery 'wH' capacity in which the Mavic battery is okay.
AirAsia doesn't seem to have a drone policy but only on the batteries you bring onboard, so again the Mavic seems to be okay.
So I think I'll be bringing my Mavic and batteries in my cabin baggage.

CAAT uploaded some new forms on 4th of July. They look much better than anything previously uploaded there. (Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Archives - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย)
But there are still no clear instructions how to register (like where to send them, and some unclear blank boxes on the forms).

I went to the Thai consulate in Frankfurt today and asked them about the new drone laws. They told me, drones are totally forbidden in Thailand for private use, only commercial use is allowed. Then I asked, if it is allowed to take my drone with me through the customs. She said, she doesn’t perfectly know, but she tended to say, it is forbidden too.

What do you think?

Reactions: MLR and kjmarino
CAAT uploaded some new forms on 4th of July. They look much better than anything previously uploaded there. (Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Archives - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย)
But there are still no clear instructions how to register (like where to send them, and some unclear blank boxes on the forms).

I went to the Thai consulate in Frankfurt today and asked them about the new drone laws. They told me, drones are totally forbidden in Thailand for private use, only commercial use is allowed. Then I asked, if it is allowed to take my drone with me through the customs. She said, she doesn’t perfectly know, but she tended to say, it is forbidden too.

What do you think?

Thanks for that new information MaxD!
The Thailand CAA is very confusing, the infographic provided on the page shows that all drones with cameras installed ie. Mavic Pro, must be registered! But then you read the PDF titled "Announcement of the Ministry of Transport" and that document doesn't mention anything about cameras. All the categories are split into the different weights of unmanned aerial vehicles. As the Mavic Pro weighs under 2kg, then under that document it says there is no need to register the aircraft. So its really confusing what to do!
I'm still in two minds whether to bring my Mavic in August..

What do you think?

Also I've just filled out that form and I've sent it to
[email protected] or [email protected]

I found those email addresses at the bottom of the form so lets see if I get a reply from it.

Also I've just filled out that form and I've sent it to
[email protected] or [email protected]

I found those email addresses at the bottom of the form so lets see if I get a reply from it.

Did you send both of the forms to CAAT, or just one of them?
And what did you fill in for „(2) Jurisitc person“ or „(3) government agency“? Or for your adress? The one you will be at in Thailand, or your home adress?
What kind of documents did you attach? Any proof of insurance?
And the „ID card, government officer ID,...“?

I think it is useless to send these forms to the CAAT, because we will never get an answer, but it is worth a try. :p

And what did you fill in for „(2) Jurisitc person“ or „(3) government agency“? Or for your adress? The one you will be at in Thailand, or your home adress?

I think it is useless to send these forms to the CAAT, because we will never get an answer, but it is worth a try. :p

I filled in the whole form, both pages if that's what you meant by both forms. For the Juristic person I left that part blank as I felt that was asking if you was filming on behalf of a company.
Government agency I left blank also! The address, I put my home address. And I didn't attach any proof of address and will just see what they say.
iD was my passport.

You're probably right MaxD, that they probably won't answer back but it's worth a try to see what happens and maybe others can benefit from us going through the process

MaxD sorry I see what you mean by second form now. I got a reply back from the CAAT and they told me to fill in the second form, like you mentioned, and provide proof of insurance and a copy of my passport. Hope this helps a little bit more..

Not too sure where to get insurance though!

Thanks for your information.

I will apply for a worldwide insurance for my drone. There are insurances that offer worldwide coverage for a surcharge.

Thanks for your information.

I will apply for a worldwide insurance for my drone. There are insurances that offer worldwide coverage for a surcharge.

MaxD, do you know of any insurance companies who do this?

I have lived in Thailand for many years and have been using a drone in Thailand for the last few months with no problems whatsoever. I have also used it and flown in from Bangkok to China, Indonesia and Myanmar without the slightest interest of the airport authorities.

I really wouldnt advise any foreign tourists to obtain a operating license for a Mavic if you have arrived under a tourist visa. (For commercial use or even non-commercial use if you have a work visa obviously it becomes far more necessary.)

I will explain why but first you have to realize that Thai Law is written in a 'deliberately' 'opaque' way. If you look at where you are legally allowed to fly it is pretty much nowhere but it is not to stop flying but to have the power to prosecute anyone who is doing something they dont like.

Now as to why a 'foreign tourist' is potentially going to get himself in a 'lot more trouble' having a 'license' than not having a 'license'

Under the MOT announcement on drones (RPA) https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Announcement-of-the-Ministry-of-Transport.pdf you will note under Article 9 1.c and 1.d in order to qualify for a license you must have

...knowledge and skills to control the drone and...
...knowledge and understanding of rules of the air...

...pretty straight forward right

But if you use that 'knowledge' under Thai Law you are deemed to be 'working'

That might not make sense to you but under the 2008 Alien Labor Act http://www.mol.go.th/sites/default/files/downloads/pdf/WORKING_OF_ALIEN_ACT_2551_DOE.pdf which naturally states that a foreigner cannot 'work' without a work permit it is very important to understand the definition of 'work' and under section 5 it defines work.

"Work" means engaging in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits;

Now I am sure you all think that is a complete nonsense in terms of the definition of 'work' - how can it be 'work' if I am not being paid. But there is an absolute mass of case law to back it up. I would guess the original idea was so they could prosecute foreigners 'actually working' but being paid overseas but it has been used against say foreigners on condo management committees (which are unpaid) and even charity workers.

So seriously, as soon as you show 'someone' your 'license' that you are allowed to fly, they will likely ask to see your 'work permit'. And when you say you dont have a 'work permit', they will ask 'why you have a license if you are not working' or 'why are you working without a work permit.'

P.S. The maximum sentence for working without a work permit is 5 years in jail.

I have lived in Thailand for many years and have been using a drone in Thailand for the last few months with no problems whatsoever. I have also used it and flown in from Bangkok to China, Indonesia and Myanmar without the slightest interest of the airport authorities.

I really wouldnt advise any foreign tourists to obtain a operating license for a Mavic if you have arrived under a tourist visa. (For commercial use or even non-commercial use if you have a work visa obviously it becomes far more necessary.)

I will explain why but first you have to realize that Thai Law is written in a 'deliberately' 'opaque' way. If you look at where you are legally allowed to fly it is pretty much nowhere but it is not to stop flying but to have the power to prosecute anyone who is doing something they dont like.

Now as to why a 'foreign tourist' is potentially going to get himself in a 'lot more trouble' having a 'license' than not having a 'license'

Under the MOT announcement on drones (RPA) https://www.caat.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Announcement-of-the-Ministry-of-Transport.pdf you will note under Article 9 1.c and 1.d in order to qualify for a license you must have

...knowledge and skills to control the drone and...
...knowledge and understanding of rules of the air...

...pretty straight forward right

But if you use that 'knowledge' under Thai Law you are deemed to be 'working'

That might not make sense to you but under the 2008 Alien Labor Act http://www.mol.go.th/sites/default/files/downloads/pdf/WORKING_OF_ALIEN_ACT_2551_DOE.pdf which naturally states that a foreigner cannot 'work' without a work permit it is very important to understand the definition of 'work' and under section 5 it defines work.

"Work" means engaging in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits;

Now I am sure you all think that is a complete nonsense in terms of the definition of 'work' - how can it be 'work' if I am not being paid. But there is an absolute mass of case law to back it up. I would guess the original idea was so they could prosecute foreigners 'actually working' but being paid overseas but it has been used against say foreigners on condo management committees (which are unpaid) and even charity workers.

So seriously, as soon as you show 'someone' your 'license' that you are allowed to fly, they will likely ask to see your 'work permit'. And when you say you dont have a 'work permit', they will ask 'why you have a license if you are not working' or 'why are you working without a work permit.'

P.S. The maximum sentence for working without a work permit is 5 years in jail.

Thank you for the information Colin!

Yeah that makes sense, and if you've been able to go in and out of the country and been flying your drone over the past few months then it seems okay right?

Thank you for the information Colin!

Yeah that makes sense, and if you've been able to go in and out of the country and been flying your drone over the past few months then it seems okay right?

Well 'okay' is the right word. I cant guarantee anything in much the same way as I cant guarantee that if you use your drone in Thailand, you wont crash it. But it is pretty simple - if someone tells you to stop flying your drone - then stop it. Telling them you have a 'license' or are 'entitled' to fly it is counter productive. And that pretty much applies to any incident.

Reactions: MaxD
Hello collins,

thank you for opinion.
I have no idea of the Thai law system, so I really appreciate your advice.
I will be in Thailand for half a year and plan to fly my drone regularly (only private, and of course not next to temples ..)
I won‘t have a work permit, so would you suggest not applying for the license, even if it was for 6 months?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78