DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tried an HDR manual Pano - this is how it came out.

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

I shot 6 sets of AEB photos separately, merged each set to an HDR picture, and then joined the HDR pictures in to a Pano - all using PS. I like how it came out but I feel like I need to crop it somewhere. Shot with a Mavic Air.

BTW, this is where the Blue Nile (we call it Abay) leaves Lake Tana, near Bahirdar, Ethiopia. For some reason, I can't insert the full picture in the post. See attachment.

Attachments

• DJI_0906-HDR-Pano-1.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 213
That is beautiful . . . very nicely done. The full picture size constraints will not allow you to insert it into the post. It's not a standard size within the size allotted by the script.

Very well done!
If you want to crop - I don’t think the extreme right section is contributing all that much. You might consider cropping out the portion that includes the rightmost cloud.

How much overlap did you provide when acquiring the images? As is often the case using the photoshop auto stitch algorithms things can go wrong. Consider a stitching program like PT GUI where you have the luxury of very precise control of placing control points to force precise alignment. I’m sure you can get a ripper of a pano out if this. At the moment the alignment errors are detracting from the outcome. You can get away with a lot but the warping if the horizon and discontinuance in the buildings are glaring and distracting faults. Another thing you need to watch is setting your exposure and making sure it is maintained for every stack you plan to stitch.

I shot 6 sets of AEB photos separately, merged each set to an HDR picture, and then joined the HDR pictures in to a Pano - all using PS. I like how it came out but I feel like I need to crop it somewhere. Shot with a Mavic Air.

BTW, this is where the Blue Nile (we call it Abay) leaves Lake Tana, near Bahirdar, Ethiopia. For some reason, I can't insert the full picture in the post. See attachment.

Nice work! Do you have IOS or Windows? If Windows, try using Microsoft ICE as well, it handles large files very well.

How much overlap did you provide when acquiring the images? As is often the case using the photoshop auto stitch algorithms things can go wrong. Consider a stitching program like PT GUI where you have the luxury of very precise control of placing control points to force precise alignment. I’m sure you can get a ripper of a pano out if this. At the moment the alignment errors are detracting from the outcome. You can get away with a lot but the warping if the horizon and discontinuance in the buildings are glaring and distracting faults. Another thing you need to watch is setting your exposure and making sure it is maintained for every stack you plan to stitch.
Thanks for the great advice. I did allow for a generous amount of overlap while taking the pictures and made sure my exposure settings were individually adjusted for each set of AEB pictures. I am not really seeing the alignment errors you mention but I will take a closer look. This was a first attempt for me and I am certain I have a lot to learn about stitching panos this way. Will definitely give this a few more passes with your comment in mind :)

Nice work! Do you have IOS or Windows? If Windows, try using Microsoft ICE as well, it handles large files very well.
You know, I had read about that and even downloaded the program but had completely forgotten about it. Will have a go at it! Thanks a lot :)

Thanks for the great advice. I did allow for a generous amount of overlap while taking the pictures and made sure my exposure settings were individually adjusted for each set of AEB pictures. I am not really seeing the alignment errors you mention but I will take a closer look. This was a first attempt for me and I am certain I have a lot to learn about stitching panos this way. Will definitely give this a few more passes with your comment in mind :)
7F4BFF5D-AE97-48E8-9FE7-0A862E78E94B.jpeg

There is one area.

When photoshop gets it wrong it usually gets it seriously wrong.

View attachment 85366

There is one area.

When photoshop gets it wrong it usually gets it seriously wrong.
Ouch! I honestly didn't see that (my viewing screen is a 13"- that is my poor excuse - but I can now even see it on my phone screen - how did I miss that?). Really appreciate what you did here. Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch! I honestly didn't see that (my viewing screen is a 13"- that is my poor excuse - but I can now even see it on my phone screen - how did I miss that?). Really appreciate what you did here. Many thanks!

Aw, heck. That’s nothing the smudge tool can’t fix! ;). Try it with ICE and see if it is any better.

Aw, heck. That’s nothing the smudge tool can’t fix! ;). Try it with ICE and see if it is any better.
Ha ha! Seems all my problems will be solved if i learned how to use that smudge tool ;) ICE definitely did a better job stitching the pano. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to export the end result in its original resolution. The resulting image after the export is really low res.
DJI_0906-HDR_ICE_stitch_3.jpg

Reactions: Bchris
Ha ha! Seems all my problems will be solved if i learned how to use that smudge tool ;) ICE definitely did a better job stitching the pano. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to export the end result in its original resolution. The resulting image after the export is really low res.
View attachment 85459
Are you exporting it scaled at 100% and using .jpg? TIFF images have a size limit.

After several trials with PS, LR and ICE and as I really liked Panos, I decided to pay for PT-Gui.
What a difference! I did not regret the purchase

I feel really dumb; apparently I missed one picture while stitching the pano in PS in my first attempt. I did it again and it came out with no (apparent) alignment issues. I had it printed on a 30cmx90cm photo paper and it came out great. Will be hanging it in my living room proudly :D

Unfortunately, I can't upload the result because the file size is too large. @AMann, I will be looking into Hugin; @WithTheBirds - I have already downloaded PT GUI and will give it a try. Thank you all for the great tips!

Reactions: AMann
I feel really dumb; apparently I missed one picture while stitching the pano in PS in my first attempt. I did it again and it came out with no (apparent) alignment issues. I had it printed on a 30cmx90cm photo paper and it came out great. Will be hanging it in my living room proudly :D

Unfortunately, I can't upload the result because the file size is too large. @AMann, I will be looking into Hugin; @WithTheBirds - I have already downloaded PT GUI and will give it a try. Thank you all for the great tips!
Your welcome.

As I said- photoshop is in many respects can be too good!!! Look what it did- managed to stitch two images that had no hope of completing the picture. Fix
It with the smudge tool LOL...

some photos taken today was trying out HDR panos had to resize some to upload

Attachments

• DJI_0673-HDR-Pano.jpg
    DJI_0673-HDR-Pano.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
  • DJI_0697-HDR-Pano.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
  • DJI_0740-Pano1.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 1
  • DJI_0746-Pano1.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 1