DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tripod mode too fast

Nathan Hoover

Reactions
I noticed in the specs the tripod mode in the Mavic Air 2 is 5 m/s max. That's over 11 mph. I love taking hyperlapse videos with my old Mavic Pro. I can just pin the speed on full with my thumb and it goes at a perfect speed, just under 2 mph, very steady and nice. Same with the Phantom 4 I used so much before that.

I don't understand why they increased tripod mode speed. To me, "Tripod" means really slow, barely moving. But 11 mph would be more like a beginner mode or something, not. Does anyone know when they made this change? New with the Mavic Air 2? The Mavic Mini and Mavic 2 specs don't say.

I really love my 3 1/2 year old Mavic Pro - I never upgrade the firmware - it just works perfectly every time. I was considering upgrading but will probably wait for a Mavic 3 or Phantom 5 if they ever come.

I also like the 'flat out crawl' of the Mavic Pro, you can stroll along behind it at a leisurely pace..

I noticed in the specs the tripod mode in the Mavic Air 2 is 5 m/s max. That's over 11 mph. I love taking hyperlapse videos with my old Mavic Pro. I can just pin the speed on full with my thumb and it goes at a perfect speed, just under 2 mph, very steady and nice. Same with the Phantom 4 I used so much before that.

I don't understand why they increased tripod mode speed. To me, "Tripod" means really slow, barely moving. But 11 mph would be more like a beginner mode or something, not. Does anyone know when they made this change? New with the Mavic Air 2? The Mavic Mini and Mavic 2 specs don't say.

I really love my 3 1/2 year old Mavic Pro - I never upgrade the firmware - it just works perfectly every time. I was considering upgrading but will probably wait for a Mavic 3 or Phantom 5 if they ever come.

I have the Mavic Mini and it has the CineSmooth mode, I guess it is like the TriPod mode, I’ll find out when I get my MA2. CineSmooth is just nice and smooth and like a car’s accelerator, the more you push down on it, the faster it goes. So, if you’re worried about it going too fast, don’t floor board it. Just push the stick a little.

It's just nice be able to "floor it" - you can even tie off the throttle with a rubber band or whatever. Just leave it shooting for 15 minutes. The Mavic Pro is just perfect this way.

It's just nice be able to "floor it" - you can even tie off the throttle with a rubber band or whatever. Just leave it shooting for 15 minutes. The Mavic Pro is just perfect this way.
You’re going to have to grow up some day and this will help you.

typical click bait post i wont even bother to give you an answer

Lets face it, these are just grown up toys. Toys that Most of us old farts never had growing up. Now that we’re older and have the money, we’re buying them and having the time of our life. If you don’t understand what I’m saying, you will when you grow up.

Nearly wrecked my brand new Mavic Air 2 on first flight. I have had a Mavic Pro and I thought I knew what Tripod mode was. I have several shrubs and a deck in my yard and use Tripod mode regularly to creep around and over the obstructions.

Having gone through the manual before first flight, I put the switch in the "Tripod Mode" position and was surprised to find that the speed seemed quite unrestrained, no noticeable difference from Normal ("N") mode. Nearly collided with my garage. Studying the display on DJI Fly, it appears that Tripod mode is not Tripod mode at all. With the switch set to Tripod, the upper left of the display says "C" mode. Perhaps this means "Cinematic"??, but I find no mention of C mode, or even "Cinematic" in the manual.

Specifications say that max speed is 5 m/sec in T mode --- if there was a T mode. This is roughly times 5 faster than the Tripod mode in my Mavic Pro, and not useful for my purposes.

Two Questions: Where can I find Tripod mode?
What can I expect from it?

Reactions: Rchawks
You also have to first take off in normal mode, then switch to another mode. If you did take off outside of normal mode, simply switch back to normal mode, then to the mode you want.

M2 was the same way so it should be familiar.

For some reason, MavicPilots won't let me edit my posts, so forgive the series of posts.

The C mode came from Mini, which was the first model that used Fly. I believe it is Tripod, just a different name. Perhaps DJI will fix the app if the C mode and T mode are supposed to be different.

Reactions: Tony McDrone

Chatted today with DJI support.
1. "Tripod mode" switch on the Mavic Air 2 controller is actually "C mode" in the drone. She said "C" stands for "Cine" or Cinematic. The forward speed limits at 5 m/s, but there actually is no Tripod mode, regardless of what the RC switch says. The manual seems at least confused about this, making no mention of C or Cinematic.

2. My previous experience is about three years with a Mavic Pro. I feel that it is very bad for DJI to make such a radical change in behavior (5X the previous speed limit) and still use the old name of Tripod mode. Also, I prefer the more informative control interface of the Mavic Pro, rather than the somewhat dumbed-down version in the Mavic Air 2.

3. I miss the little display that the Mavic Pro controller had. Sometimes my app would disconnect, leaving me with a blank screen. The distance and altitude readouts on the controller provided enough information to get me safely home in situations where I couldn't just press RTH. That will be a problem with the MP Air.

I intend to return the Mavic Air 2 and get something else.

Things change and they don't always improve. I've been flying the Mavic Pro since for over 4 years now and amazingly mine works as well as ever now. It's so dependable. I was just flying yesterday. I have no need to upgrade until there is something compelling.

1. "Tripod mode" switch on the Mavic Air 2 controller is actually "C mode" in the drone. She said "C" stands for "Cine" or Cinematic. The forward speed limits at 5 m/s, but there actually is no Tripod mode, regardless of what the RC switch says. The manual seems at least confused about this, making no mention of C or Cinematic.

2. My previous experience is about three years with a Mavic Pro. I feel that it is very bad for DJI to make such a radical change in behavior (5X the previous speed limit) and still use the old name of Tripod mode. Also, I prefer the more informative control interface of the Mavic Pro, rather than the somewhat dumbed-down version in the Mavic Air 2.

3. I miss the little display that the Mavic Pro controller had. Sometimes my app would disconnect, leaving me with a blank screen. The distance and altitude readouts on the controller provided enough information to get me safely home in situations where I couldn't just press RTH. That will be a problem with the MP Air.

Only M1 and M2 had an LCD display on the RC. I agree it's helpful. However it's unfair to compare those with the recent ones.

I agree about Fly vs Go. It makes sense for the Mini, based on the target market. Using it for Air 2 is a toss up since it's a mid-grade in the consumer series. But since they used Go for Air 1, consistency would dictate Air 2 use Go as well.

We'll see what DJI uses for the hopeful Mavic 3.

When you are setting your hyperlapse parameters, you have the option of changing the speed of the flight down to your liking with the bottom being 2mph. Its the option on the right of the video length and has a slide bar to select the speed.

On the MA2, when you are setting your hyperlapse parameters, you have the option of changing the speed of the flight down to your liking with the bottom being 2mph. Its the option on the right of the video length and has a slide bar to select the speed. Not sure if this is possible for other shot modes, but hyperlapse allows for speed customization.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78