DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble flying near airports

bartles

Reactions
I mainly fly my drone to support my construction housing business. As such, I need to be able to take aerial pictures under 100 ft. above ground around a job site. My Mavic 2 Pro will no longer allow me to get permission to fly from the local airport. Software is current.

Do you have a 107 certificate first of all. If you don't and you are using your drone for your business you are in direct violation of the FAA laws and could be fined a large sum of money.
If you did have your 107 certificate you would know why you are not able to fly from the local airport.

Do you have a 107 certificate first of all. If you don't and you are using your drone for your business you are in direct violation of the FAA laws and could be fined a large sum of money.
If you did have your 107 certificate you would know why you are not able to fly from the local airport.
Great response!

Not flying from an airport or anywhere near an airport. Only flying on/over a single piece of small property.

I see that my original note was worded improperly. I never fly anywhere near an airport.
Geofencing is there for a reason. If the area in which you want to fly is of the category for which permission is available, you will have to get an unlocking license for where you want to fly from DJI since DJI and LAANC are not directly connected. It's all about safety. The rule applies to everyone.

That is the procedure I've always followed without a problem. However, recently the software won't permit even connecting to the FAA Control Tower for approval. I always run every update before even trying to take off as well. I'll just have to try it again next time. In the past, it has been hit or miss as well. One day you can get clearance, the next day no.

That is the procedure I've always followed without a problem. However, recently the software won't permit even connecting to the FAA Control Tower for approval. I always run every update before even trying to take off as well. I'll just have to try it again next time. In the past, it has been hit or miss as well. One day you can get clearance, the next day no.

This doesn't make any sense. There is no software to connect to an FAA Control Tower (whether by that you mean local ATC or something else) and never has been. Perhaps you could elaborate more on exactly what you are doing, or trying to do?

Reactions: Mike6158
This doesn't make any sense. There is no software to connect to an FAA Control Tower (whether by that you mean local ATC or something else) and never has been. Perhaps you could elaborate more on exactly what you are doing, or trying to do?
There is no more Contacting Control Towers anymore. All contact for clearances is through LAANC (AirMap app) but since LAANC is not connected with DJI you have get your unlock licensing through DJI where you get the license and then enter it through the DJI app on your phone that is connected to you Controller and drone. Contacting Control Towers stopped may/June 2019.

watch the video on getting geofence unlocking:

Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI

There is no more Contacting Control Towers anymore. All contact for clearances is through LAANC (AirMap app) but since LAANC is not connected with DJI you have get your unlock licensing through DJI where you get the license and then enter it through the DJI app on your phone that is connected to you Controller and drone. Contacting Control Towers stopped may/June 2019.

watch the video on getting geofence unlocking:

Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI

More specifically, contacting ATC was never part of the process for Part 107 pilots.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00B3rin