DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble starting motors

marshvet

Reactions
I have not been flying for some time. About 1 month ago, I went to start up my Air2S and with the typical CSC movement, the motors would not start. To be honest, I can't remember what I did but suddenly they did and I forgot about it and flew with no problem. Well, today the same thing happened and I cannot figure out how to fix this. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. BTW, both the controller and drone have been updated to the most recent firmware.

Any warning messages? If so post a screen capture of them.
Have you change the controller's stick mode recently?
After the update did you calibrate the controller?

Reactions: marshvet
Any warning messages? If so post a screen capture of them.
Have you change the controller's stick mode recently?
After the update did you calibrate the controller?
No warnings. Have not changed stick mode. I had not calibrated, but did this AM and no change. As per mobilehomer below, I will try auto takeoff later today. But, I really do want it to work with the CSC. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

…Thanks. BTW, both the controller and drone have been updated to the most recent firmware.
The most recent firmware includes Remote ID. Once your A2S is a RID drone, it requires that location services be turned on in your phone or tablet.

If, like me, you typically have those services off on your phone this will prevent motor startup.

Other than remembering this I have not found RID obtrusive on my A2S.

The most recent firmware includes Remote ID. Once your A2S is a RID drone, it requires that location services be turned on in your phone or tablet.

If, like me, you typically have those services off on your phone this will prevent motor startup.

Other than remembering this I have not found RID obtrusive on my A2S.
Why would location services need to be turned on? When I fly I use a non cellular tablet that I would think doesn't have any transmission wirelessly of if using my phone I have airplane mode turned on. Does location service transmit thru the controller?

Why would location services need to be turned on? When I fly I use a non cellular tablet that I would think doesn't have any transmission wirelessly of if using my phone I have airplane mode turned on. Does location service transmit thru the controller?
You would have to ask DJI why they’ve made it this way.

I *think* the controller is pulling the gps position from the phone/tablet, and then transmitting it. I can confirm that when running my A2S with RC-N1 controller my non-cell ipad Mini must have location services enabled or the motors won’t start. This started when I updated to RID firmware.

I don’t know if this is what is stopping the OP.

If you are starting with both sticks in, try going both out. Or vice-versa. Also do a sticks calibration in the app, don’t miss any steps before finish. One or the other should fix the problem.

I have not been flying for some time. About 1 month ago, I went to start up my Air2S and with the typical CSC movement, the motors would not start. To be honest, I can't remember what I did but suddenly they did and I forgot about it and flew with no problem. Well, today the same thing happened and I cannot figure out how to fix this. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. BTW, both the controller and drone have been updated to the most recent firmware.
Try updating your software.

If you are starting with both sticks in, try going both out. Or vice-versa. Also do a sticks calibration in the app, don’t miss any steps before finish. One or the other should fix the problem.
Capt KO, I tried that too and still a no go. I think I may have to reach out to DJI to figure this out. thanks! I also did calibrate the sticks as well.

Location services enable your GPS receiver. The controller reads your location from the device and transmits to the drone, it has nothing to do with network or data. It MUST be on for RID. Without RID confirmation, the motors will not start. Enable location services and try it again.

I wanted to thank everyone who tried to help me out here. Yesterday I contacted DJI and after going through a few more updates and restarts it still didn't work and they suggested I send the controller in for evaluation. I will try to remember to update you all once I hear back from them. Cheers!!

Would it not be quicker to take the drone and controller into a decent Drone shop and see if they have a controller that will start the motors?
Did you notice the comments about RID preventing motor start post #5, I don't think you have replied to that post.

Would it not be quicker to take the drone and controller into a decent Drone shop and see if they have a controller that will start the motors?
Did you notice the comments about RID preventing motor start post #5, I don't think you have replied to that post.
I don't even know if there are any decent drone shops where I live. And, I did look into the RID issue and when iI ultimately spoke to DJI, they said it had nothing to do with this problem.

I don't even know if there are any decent drone shops where I live. And, I did look into the RID issue and when iI ultimately spoke to DJI, they said it had nothing to do with this problem.
Did you actually do any testing of that?

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to this earlier. DJI evaluated my RC Pro and found that my Core Board was malfunctioned. Who knows how that happens. So, they "repaired" it (Actually just sent out a new one) for about half of the price of a new one (Yes, steep!!) but hopefully I will be back in action soon. Cheers!!

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to this earlier. DJI evaluated my RC Pro and found that my Core Board was malfunctioned. Who knows how that happens. So, they "repaired" it (Actually just sent out a new one) for about half of the price of a new one (Yes, steep!!) but hopefully I will be back in action soon. Cheers!!
How old is it? It may be under warranty.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom