DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble updating Mavic 2 Zoom

HugoStiglitz

Reactions
My accountant has no experience flying a drone. She is VERY competent navigating all facets of operating a PC for her profession.

She recently bought my low hour M2Z with all the bells and whistles including a Smart Controller (as well as the std one). I never flew it myself and only bought it on a whim one day from a motivated seller. She has tried registering it and downloading updates for the drone and controllers. She has been unsuccessful after more than a few tries.

We live rather close to the Pilot Institute (in Prescott Valley), so I suggested she call them to see if they would/could help her down/up load these programs as well as provide some basic hands-on training, as well as making sure the drone was operating without any issues for a fee. They refused, stating that the M2Z was obsolete (even though the contact person admitted to personal experience with the platform). She WAS (?) intending to enroll in their 107 prep program if she felt she had the aptitude.

I

Last edited by a moderator:
Obsolete??? I don’t think so. Sounds like a lame excuse for not wanting to help.

My accountant has no experience flying a drone. She is VERY competent navigating all facets of operating a PC for her profession.

She recently bought my low hour M2Z with all the bells and whistles including a Smart Controller (as well as the std one). I never flew it myself and only bought it on a whim one day from a motivated seller. She has tried registering it and downloading updates for the drone and controllers. She has been unsuccessful after more than a few tries.

We live rather close to the Pilot Institute (in Prescott Valley), so I suggested she call them to see if they would/could help her down/up load these programs as well as provide some basic hands-on training, as well as making sure the drone was operating without any issues for a fee. They refused, stating that the M2Z was obsolete (even though the contact person admitted to personal experience with the platform). She WAS (?) intending to enroll in their 107 prep program if she felt she had the aptitude.

I
Hugo,
I'm not sure who you talked to but I don't think it was anyone at Pilot Institute. We always love to help people fly their drone, we own the Mavic 2 Zoom and fly it ourselves for projects on a regular basis. The person who answers our phone, Mark, also uses his personal one to do real estate photography and would never say that.
Please call me (Greg) personally at 928.212.2270 and we will be happy to help her if she's local!

Hugo, what do you mean by "registering it"?

What wifi did she use, office/home etc.? If such things are possible could it be that the wifi's security is set up to block such things?
Personally I rarely update but I had a mix of firmware versions on controllers and drone and wanted to sort things out so I used the appropriate Assistant 2 on a computer and connected the drones and their controllers to that computer via the USB cable etc.. It was painless and stress free.

Reactions: HugoStiglitz
Thanks, I'll pass your contact info to her. We both live in Cave Creek at the foot of Black Mtn.
Hugo, what do you mean by "registering it"?

What wifi did she use, office/home etc.? If such things are possible could it be that the wifi's security is set up to block such things?
Personally I rarely update but I had a mix of firmware versions on controllers and drone and wanted to sort things out so I used the appropriate Assistant 2 on a computer and connected the drones and their controllers to that computer via the USB cable etc.. It was painless and stress free.
Thanks YP,

Can't say much about her methodology. The new technology may be a little daunting to grasp at first for a newbie.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
By registering it I meant that when she got to the final point of the FAA portal to declare recreational pilot status, the final box would not accept her click it to finalize no matter what she did. I'd say I'm only repeating what was said to me at the time.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Hey Greg,

I contacted my accountant about my posting here, and she asked me for a copy of my OP. She agreed with my assessment of the events, ... with the exception of my use of the word "refused" which she felt was "Strong", being an old Sailor, I don't mince words sometimes. She remembered Mark. She said that after asking for personalized instruction, she was told the M2Z was an old drone, and as such they offered no instruction on it. Further suggesting that she should visit YouTube if she needed help, offering no further suggestions. She used the term "feeling put off".

I only post this here to clarify the situation now that I've talked to her in more detail since I mentioned your operation in passing. I actually made the mention hoping that someone with some horsepower at P.I. would notice and clarify (or not) P.I.'s position regarding such matters.

Thanks for your contact info, it DOES make you seem sincere about customer service !

Download and install ‘Assistant 2 for Mavic’
not ‘Assistant 2’. Use that to update the firmware.

You have not stated how you/she is trying to update the firmware (Go4app or Assistant 2 for Mavic) and/or how you have determined it failed. (was there a message or did the drone simply switch off?)
If the drone has not been used for some time it’s probably failing at the no fly zone update.

Then there is the inconsistent firmware message.
The trick is simply to try again, usually four or five times.

I have several Mavic 2 pro/zoom drones. With one of them it is difficult to update the firmware.
I have found that it takes several cycles to get it to update.
Successful update usually only occurs after a successful message saying that the no fly zone has been updated.

When this troublesome drone fails, it just restarts the drone with no explanation or failure message.
It also fails and then displays the inconsistent firmware message. (this sometimes occurs because the battery needs updating and sometimes because the no fly zone needs updating)
and again

Another trick is to connect both the standard controller and the drone to the PC and 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' but with both drone and controller switched off.
Start 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' switch the controller on and then start and update the controller. (that usually works successfully).
Leave the controller on and start and update the drone. (This might fail but it seems to kick start something)

All my other drones simply update first time, but the zoom drone Ahhh!
It does eventually give one last inconsistent firmware message followed by a no fly zone update and then
100% Update Complete and the green tick. and both front LED's glow green. Switch off the drone before all is lost.

Last edited:
If it doesn’t work, how many times do you suggest retrying it? 😀

If it doesn’t work, how many times do you suggest retrying it? 😀
Sorry. I did over emphasize. That the trick is simply to try again, usually four or five times.
The update only fails if you receive an error message saying that "the update has failed".
If the update just stops, and the drone restarts then the update is probably just part way through, so try again and do not give up hope..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000