DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with FAA and Police

I am just north by a couple of miles of that red spot in Brockton (woman's correctional or woman's youth correctional facility) I do see on that sectional map that Brockton IS considered heavily populated so aircraft (except helicopter?) should be over 1000 feet (3000-7000' according to that map). I agree all the commercial aircraft is well above that but I swear a couple of the smaller aircraft were within the 400 foot ceiling allowed of UAS.

Thanks I'll give that website a try. Do they track the smaller craft?

Yes, small aircraft and helicopters are shown as well.

Screenshot_2018-11-29-14-07-50.jpg

UPDATE:
Someone from the FAA called me after a few months, since August 9th. The guy on the phone was very nice and reassuring nothing really bad was going to happen. He said this can go 3 ways.
1) My FAA Part 107 Cert will be suspended for a short time. He said this is the least likely to happen.
2) I will need counseling and learn the proper way to follow protocol, even though I did or though I did.
3) This will just be a warning to be more careful next time. There won't be a next time. That goes for all airports. Unless there is a drone convention at an airport:).
Im awaiting an email tomorrow to see what will need to happen.
I will update everyone tomorrow.
Please ask me any questions.

So... they said NOTHING about you calling before you flew?

And I am totally curious about this "Counseling"? Like from a shrink? Or a ten minute class going over the 4-5 rules?

As for what the OP has to look forward to, if the FAA is investigating, it may not be as bad as it sounds. The Regional/local FAA authority will most likely ask for an interview either via telephone or in person, and ask about what you were doing, when you were doing it, who you contacted etc. Having your Private certificate would probably be a plus; you certainly don't want to claim ignorance.
Years ago, I was flying a single engine A/C photographing a hot air balloon festival.I filed a flight plan, even though none was required, and was in contact with the local tower continuously, and maintaining legal horizontal and vertical clearances to both the ground and the balloons.
At least in those days, Balloonists considered powered A/C their nemesis, and claimed (generally rightfully) their ROW over all other aircraft. At any rate, in spite of flying legally, someone complained (probably one of the balloonists), and the FAA investigated. It was a 15 minute conversation. I described exactly what I was doing, and precautions I took.
After the interview, he said "Thank you; Fly safely".
Bottom line: be prepared for the interview. Have detailed flight information including locations/altitude and times. It might not have been the wisest decision to fly anywhere near the departure end of ANY active RW, but at least you can try to convince the investigator you knew what you were doing. Good luck, and Fly Safely!
It may have been noted here previously but if not it's still worth pointing out that the departure end of a runway is also the arrival end of a runway. Departing aircraft in the area are easy to notice but arriving ones will not be unless you are monitoring traffic with a radio. Landing traffic can be on top of you before you realize what's going on. I have to say that now that I've had a chance to read all 10 pgs of this discussion to date it's been a very interesting one.

Last edited:
So... they said NOTHING about you calling before you flew?

And I am totally curious about this "Counseling"? Like from a shrink? Or a ten minute class going over the 4-5 rules?

He just wanted my side of what happened. I told him that I followed protocol. I called the airport and got authorization, I guess I should not have gotten that authorization from what has happened...

Thanks for the app tip. I went and got it.
Now if only it can send you alerts when an aircraft is within a certain specified distance and height.

Look into AIRMAP. It connects to the DJI remote and will display aircraft as well as other drones in your area. It also is a great LAANC portal!

The airport near me doesn't participate in LAANC at this time. You would think it would since it is a large, if not busy, airport.
I have used Airmap, but its alert only appeared briefly and i didn't see any altitude information in it. Besides, it didn't report about a helicopter that was quite low when I was flying off a beach in my area, and i did have Airmap set with a flight plan at the time. I had to guess the helo's height and distance. Visual determination can be quite deceiving.

FlightAware on the other hand shows you flight tracks, even if it is delayed. If you see an aircraft heading in your vicinity, you can check its altitude well in advance. Granted if it is descending, it may be much lower than indicated by the time it reaches you.

He just wanted my side of what happened. I told him that I followed protocol. I called the airport and got authorization, I guess I should not have gotten that authorization from what has happened...
Hey @zachschul22
Thanks for keeping us posted! And happy this didnt turn bad on you!.
Maybe @texasgrape could accompany you to the classes. Apparently these types of flight are NOT permitted, as he implied several times, or the FAA would not feel you need schooled, suspended, or fined.

Reactions: dbrockman2
The airport near me doesn't participate in LAANC at this time. You would think it would since it is a large, if not busy, airport.
I have used Airmap, but its alert only appeared briefly and i didn't see any altitude information in it. Besides, it didn't report about a helicopter that was quite low when I was flying off a beach in my area, and i did have Airmap set with a flight plan at the time. I had to guess the helo's height and distance. Visual determination can be quite deceiving.

FlightAware on the other hand shows you flight tracks, even if it is delayed. If you see an aircraft heading in your vicinity, you can check its altitude well in advance. Granted if it is descending, it may be much lower than indicated by the time it reaches you.

Hmm interesting, AirMap is spot on in my area. Maybe there was an ADS-B issue, or the helo didn’t have ADS-B.

Hey @zachschul22
Maybe @texasgrape could accompany you to the classes. Apparently these types of flight are NOT permitted, as he implied several times, or the FAA would not feel you need schooled, suspended, or fined.

I think this is a GREAT idea!

You need counseling to be able to recognise that flying a drone within metres of the threshold and straight across the approach path of an active runway is dumb?

whatever happened to common sense?

Hey @zachschul22

He broke no law; we can find a dozen things that we would have never done but he broke no law--he went above and beyond and even called the airport and he stated that he yielded--this has been my whole point--he didn't violate any FAA reg; if so FAA would have fined him or suspended his license--but they had nothing cuz there was nothing--other than bad judgement; and why do you attack those who have different views than you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Point Zero
I'm happy with this outcome for you. Seems like there is more common sense being practised by the FAA than there is by some of the fear mongering replies you have been subjected to. Glad it all worked out for the best in the end!

Happy Flying

I'm happy with this outcome for you. Seems like there is more common sense being practised by the FAA than there is by some of the fear mongering replies you have been subjected to. Glad it all worked out for the best in the end!

Happy Flying

Thanks!
*happy flying not near an airport

Reactions: Point Zero
Use a LAANC app (I use AirMap for drones) and you can get immediate authorization and the allowed altitudes for a given distance from an airport. Also for part 107, you cannot just call it in (unless that has changed in the last 9 months) you HAVE TO HAVE PRIOR AUTHORIZATION, which means only through LAANC (for immediate authorization) or the old actual paper trail waiver if that particular airport is not on LAANC yet. I'm not sure how close to the airport you were, but unless you were a mile or two away, 200 feet AGL is probably too high.

Reactions: STUFF2C
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329