DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with FAA and Police

Class "F" is real, but not normally used in the US, rather label as "Special Use" and the purpose, such as Alert area, Military Operations Area, etc. Canada and many other countries do use "F".

Reactions: Lopez0015
Wow @Cheech Wizard :D 12 of the last 15 posts were you!
Try this, Every time you see something you want to comment on, click reply this will put the quote in the reply box. dont type yet! Keep reading, and clicking reply on posts you intend to comment on. When you get scrolled to the bottom of the page where the reply box is box, they will be waiting all in a row. Make your comments after each quote. (Other forums have another button on each post that is marked "multi quote" that does this easier)
Bingo! You wont have to be the multi post king!
Sorry but scrolling down almost an entire page of your avatar is kind of creeping me out! :D :D

Edit a minute later.... OK, others slipped in a couple while I was typing :D
And is why you see post 154 as this is just going in circles and the horse is staggering .

UPDATE:
Someone from the FAA called me after a few months, since August 9th. The guy on the phone was very nice and reassuring nothing really bad was going to happen. He said this can go 3 ways.
1) My FAA Part 107 Cert will be suspended for a short time. He said this is the least likely to happen.
2) I will need counseling and learn the proper way to follow protocol, even though I did or though I did.
3) This will just be a warning to be more careful next time. There won't be a next time. That goes for all airports. Unless there is a drone convention at an airport:).
Im awaiting an email tomorrow to see what will need to happen.
I will update everyone tomorrow.
Please ask me any questions.

I flew mine nearby our local airport to do some photography (within 3.75 miles, no tower) and was able to get written permission from the airport manager, and they knew exactly where and when I was flying. I do have an aviation transceiver to monitor local traffic, as this is useful for knowing when planes might be coming into the area. I got it after they asked me to monitor their CTAF/Unicom frequency. Getting their approval in writing is the only way I would have ever done it. Below is their written approval for the day of the flight. I also posted an image of their notice form that they wanted me to send them also.

——————————————————-

Good afternoon Anthony,

After reviewing your request with our Airport Manager, she has approved this flight under the following conditions:
  • · You must remain clear of any aircraft coming into Hemet-Ryan Airport and because we do not have a Tower there, this responsibility falls on the UAS operator.
  • · Please monitor CTAF/Unicom 123.0 (the frequency for Hemet-Ryan Airport) as an added measure of safety and be aware that not all aircraft announce on the frequency so the pilot of the UAS should always have visual contact over the UAS in relationship to any aircraft.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Vicki - - -

97BB1581-C506-415D-908B-B788F2CD93A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I flew mine nearby our local airport to some photography (within 4.5-miles, no tower) and was able yo get written permission from the airport manager, and they knew exactly where and when I was flying. I do have an aviation transceiver to monitor local traffic, as this is useful for knowing when planes might be coming into the area. I got it after they asked me to monitor their CTAF/Unicom frequency. Getting their approval in writing is the only way I would have ever done it. Below is their written approval for the day of the flight. I will post the gorm they wanted me to send them too.

——————————————————-

Good afternoon Anthony,

After reviewing your request with our Airport Manager, she has approved this flight under the following conditions:
  • · You must remain clear of any aircraft coming into Hemet-Ryan Airport and because we do not have a Tower there, this responsibility falls on the UAS operator.
  • · Please monitor CTAF/Unicom 123.0 (the frequency for Hemet-Ryan Airport) as an added measure of safety and be aware that not all aircraft announce on the frequency so the pilot of the UAS should always have visual contact over the UAS in relationship to any aircraft.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Vicki - - -

What did you use to monitor the radio?

What did you use to monitor the radio?

I got an Icom IC-a3 You can find them on eBay for less than $100. Make sure it comes with a standard alkaline battery pack, the Nicads are usually shot. You could also get an adapter and just leave it in your cigarette lighter plug if you want to .

UPDATE:
Someone from the FAA called me after a few months, since August 9th. The guy on the phone was very nice and reassuring nothing really bad was going to happen. He said this can go 3 ways.
1) My FAA Part 107 Cert will be suspended for a short time. He said this is the least likely to happen.
2) I will need counseling and learn the proper way to follow protocol, even though I did or though I did.
3) This will just be a warning to be more careful next time. There won't be a next time. That goes for all airports. Unless there is a drone convention at an airport:).
Im awaiting an email tomorrow to see what will need to happen.
I will update everyone tomorrow.
Please ask me any questions.

I think I, along with several other people on this thread told you to expect one of the three consequences the FAA has told you to expect. I hope you, and others, have learned from this.

Reactions: zachschul22
I flew mine nearby our local airport to do some photography (within 3.75 miles, no tower) and was able to get written permission from the airport manager, and they knew exactly where and when I was flying.....
Can someone please tell me what purpose does it serve to notify someone about a drone flight miles away from an uncontrolled airport...... Especially a flight so far away and low that it can’t possibly interfere with anything?

It is required (at least under the old hobby rules) you're supposed to notify all airports and ATC within 5 miles of flight.
But I agree, at 3 miles, planes are usually over 1000ft, even when landing.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Can someone please tell me what purpose does it serve to notify someone about a drone flight miles away from an uncontrolled airport...... Especially a flight so far away and low that it can’t possibly interfere with anything?

In the absence of altitude limits that are a function of distance (like the new LAANC system), they had to pick a distance.

Reactions: AMann
In the absence of altitude limits that are a function of distance (like the new LAANC system), they had to pick a distance.

True, and I was never at 100’ agl the entire time too, just set RTH to that mainly. 5-miles does seem like a silly rule, but that’s what it was. A transportation agency truck from the airport did drive by while I was flying, I never noticed it as I was looking up, but my friend talked to the guy who said he was curious about my M2P. He apparently heard about us flying from his manager and was checking it out.

It is required (at least under the old hobby rules) you're supposed to notify all airports and ATC within 5 miles of flight.
But I agree, at 3 miles, planes are usually over 1000ft, even when landing.

I live in Brockton MA, 10 miles from Norwood airport (as the crow flies) ( I used this website for distance Crow Flies) and 17 miles from Boston airport. I see commercial aircraft over my location every 5-10 minutes every day all day and they are all at least 1000 feet AGL. I see small personal aircraft daily and I would bet most are 500 feet AGL. I have seen a few helicopters definitely 150-200 feet above my location. At my house I am always within VLOS and as low as safely possible without hitting trees. I thought all aircraft needed to stay 1000 feet AGL over densely populated areas? Brockton has a population over 100,000 and thought it would be but does not show up as such. Its really not fun flying at my house there is so much air traffic. One of these days if I can do it safely I would like to get the tail/N number to see if I can find out the height the small planes are flying over my house?

I live in Brockton MA, 10 miles from Norwood airport (as the crow flies) ( I used this website for distance Crow Flies) and 17 miles from Boston airport. I see commercial aircraft over my location every 5-10 minutes every day all day and they are all at least 1000 feet AGL. I see small personal aircraft daily and I would bet most are 500 feet AGL. I have seen a few helicopters definitely 150-200 feet above my location. At my house I am always within VLOS and as low as safely possible without hitting trees. I thought all aircraft needed to stay 1000 feet AGL over densely populated areas? Brockton has a population over 100,000 and thought it would be but does not show up as such. Its really not fun flying at my house there is so much air traffic. One of these days if I can do it safely I would like to get the tail/N number to see if I can find out the height the small planes are flying over my house?
You're in/near very busy airspace, even though 17 mi from KBOS. You're surrounded by another half dozen smaller airports as well. "FlightAware" is an Android app that gives detailed information (including altitude), in real time, for flights in progress. You'd be surprised how many aircraft are up there at any moment in time. I would venture to guess that aircraft you see are much higher than you think they are.
Boston.PNG

You're in/near very busy airspace, even though 17 mi from KBOS. You're surrounded by another half dozen smaller airports as well. "FlightAware" is an Android app that gives detailed information (including altitude), in real time, for flights in progress. You'd be surprised how many aircraft are up there at any moment in time. I would venture to guess that aircraft you see are much higher than you think they are.
View attachment 54588
I am just north by a couple of miles of that red spot in Brockton (woman's correctional or woman's youth correctional facility) I do see on that sectional map that Brockton IS considered heavily populated so aircraft (except helicopter?) should be over 1000 feet (3000-7000' according to that map). I agree all the commercial aircraft is well above that but I swear a couple of the smaller aircraft were within the 400 foot ceiling allowed of UAS.

Thanks I'll give that website a try. Do they track the smaller craft?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329