DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with FAA and Police

You don't want to post that photo
Thanks for copying the deleted Photo for him.. Otherwise 100's of us would not have gotten to see it. :D
Trys to help a brother out, shoves a knife in his back.....

not posting stupid flights will help keep you from being caught, doesnt really serve a purpose after you have been caught to cover it up.

lets see the video, photo's the damage (if any) has already been done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Nothing wrong with filming a parade! (FAA says it's OK as long as you don't fly over people)
Nothing wrong with flying over a road! (FAA says it's OK)
Nothing wrong with flying near an airport either, until you loose connection or have a flyaway.

Did the Astros win?

I don't think anyone here would have flown there; I know I wouldn't have parade or no parade; but the issue seemed to turn into 'he broke the law' and he's just a bad bad person--he didn't break any laws based on what OP has given us as the facts--

He was set up across the street adjacent to the airport

Nobody said he was a bad person... just had a lapse of judgment is all, and He said he learned his lesson.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Here is the where I got the phone number from to notify the airport. (Using AirMap)
560b3ec548936cf7ed74942ea469b76e.png

Did you also call the Heliport? Or is that part of the Airfield?

There has to be a class F, he learned from youtube. You must be mistaken. :D
Anyone else having issue with the parade thing? Weird place to have a parade that far outside of town and away from everything and everyone but the airport I would think. Where would people park cars? Unless they walked all the way there from that town.
PLUS the OP said PLANE'S taking off while he flew, so there was more than one. Hardly a small private airport. He went back and forth all along that corner of the airfield. I dont see a spot where you could get any closer to air traffic. Something smells.

Let's go to the video!

Reactions: Niblett
Why do I get an error message saying I don't have permission to this page????photo page taht is

Maybe the attachments have been removed, I get the same message. Correction: I get this message:
DJI Mavic Drone Forum - Error
The requested attachment could not be found.

Last edited:
PLEASE don't turn this into a "Spelling Bee", just went through that on one of my posts which got closed because of it.
And if this thread keeps on the way it is this one will be too so be aware guys .

Opinions Requested
Today I few a drone on a road neighboring an airport. I call the ATC before I flew and they took down my info, license info and max altitude of 200ft. They didn't say no or give any warning not to fly. So when I landed it, the police started yelling at me and threaten to arrest me and I said the ATC said it was ok, no issues. The police took down my info.
I call the ATC and they said I violated the rules of flying near an airport, when I initially said I called and said the road was next to the airport. I'm left confused and nervous because the ATC said they are going to report me to the FAA.
What are my options and what can I do.
I was flying a Mavic Pro with a part 107 license.
They said I did not give way to planes taking off even though I was very low when I saw planes taking off. These are small single engine planes BTW.
If you need any more info let me know. I'm freaking out a little.

I read the whole post and made a few comments... You came to us for help and I hope nobody offended you. Sounds like you had thought you were in the right at the time. I hope nothing bad happens to you. Just be truthful with whoever contacts you, don't give them a hard time and hopefully you will be vindicated. Or maybe a warning. Maybe you should contact them before they contact you to show your concern. Please keep us informed, I have never seen a post like this before on the forum.

I am new to these forums and trying to learn the right way to do things. I am an ATP Certificate Pilot with thousands of hours of flight time in jet aircraft and have worked with the FAA on many levels. I write that as background so others may understand my questions.

Is the airport in questions KMGJ – Orange County NY (Montgomery)? If Yes, There is not a control tower at that airport. Thus according to AC 91-57A – the Airport Operator should have been contacted not ATC. ATC would not care – The airport manager may have called Police if they observed the operation for which they had not been notified (no requirement for permission, only notification is my understanding).

To answer one of the earlier questions by another poster, KMGJ appears to be Class G at the surface to 1,200’ AGL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Powers
I am new to these forums and trying to learn the right way to do things. I am an ATP Certificate Pilot with thousands of hours of flight time in jet aircraft and have worked with the FAA on many levels. I write that as background so others may understand my questions.

Is the airport in questions KMGJ – Orange County NY (Montgomery)? If Yes, There is not a control tower at that airport. Thus according to AC 91-57A – the Airport Operator should have been contacted not ATC. ATC would not care – The airport manager may have called Police if they observed the operation for which they had not been notified (no requirement for permission, only notification is my understanding).

To answer one of the earlier questions by another poster, KMGJ appears to be Class G at the surface to 1,200’ AGL.

Yes that’s the airport. I called the phone number in AirMap. Most likely was the manager on duty not ATC.

Wow @Cheech Wizard :D 12 of the last 15 posts were you!
Try this, Every time you see something you want to comment on, click reply this will put the quote in the reply box. dont type yet! Keep reading, and clicking reply on posts you intend to comment on. When you get scrolled to the bottom of the page where the reply box is box, they will be waiting all in a row. Make your comments after each quote. (Other forums have another button on each post that is marked "multi quote" that does this easier)
Bingo! You wont have to be the multi post king!
Sorry but scrolling down almost an entire page of your avatar is kind of creeping me out! :D :D

Edit a minute later.... OK, others slipped in a couple while I was typing :D

Yes that’s the airport. I called the phone number in AirMap. Most likely was the manager on duty not ATC.
If you have not been contacted by now, I would bet you were just yelled at and threatened and no other action was taken. So I would not worry about it after this much time has passed.

As you know, every time a drone is in sight of an airplane it becomes national news almost directly. since you are not a famous news article by now It appears your in the clear. BUT PLEASE dont ever do anything like that again! :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan