DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turning off sensors on Air 2

mikepfl

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am trying to land my drone on the back of my boat but it won't land due to the sensors. I have to hand catch it. I would feel much better landing it as there is plenty of room. Sport mode isn't an option as i need to bring it in slow and easy. Hoping to find a better way to land.

Thanks.

Sport mode isn't an option as i need to bring it in slow and easy. Hoping to find a better way to land.
Nothing says you have to "dive bomb" the landing. If I have to do a hand catch (which is rare), Sports Mode makes it easier.

Mavic air2 is hard.
There are ways around this, PM me if you want to know how fix it.

Have you tried to cover the sensors with black tape? I havnt tried it myself though.

I’m no expert at this as I’ve never had to try it. Just a couple ideas.
1. Bring it right in with normal mode then Switch to sports right at the moment to land.

2. It’s a bit out there, video show a group of filmmakers used like a big butterfly catching net.(see video I’ve timestamped it at 4:40)

[media]

• Haha
Reactions: natgild
Wow never tried hand catching in sports mode, Probably never will,
I hand catch most of the time. Sports mode works the best for this, as with no sensors it just floats down nicely onto your hand, rather than rising up initially before coming down in normal mode. Just go gently on the down stick in sports mode onto your hand.

Go back into your controls and just turn the sensors off, I do it sometimes when flying through the trees!

Does the Fly App have toggle for the safe land option on sensors like Go 4? For those who don't have such aircraft it comes down then at about 1.5-2ft stops, "looks", then enters a slow automated landing if "it" determines landing area is clear.

I turned it off on mine and it allows easy hand catches, just wondering if Fly has that? I guess does the MA2 just keep on coming till it lands or does it pause?

Does the Fly App have toggle for the safe land option on sensors like Go 4? For those who don't have such aircraft it comes down then at about 1.5-2ft stops, "looks", then enters a slow automated landing if "it" determines landing area is clear.

I turned it off on mine and it allows easy hand catches, just wondering if Fly has that? I guess does the MA2 just keep on coming till it lands or does it pause?
It does pause, the little voice says landing and then it continues down.

Hand catching is not as bad as some may think. There are times you should hand catch versus landing on the ground; so maybe practice it to get comfortable doing it. You never know when you may need to do it.

check out the YouTube channel of Sean Ozz... he has a number of videos on Hand Catching.
Good to practice "on dry land" however. Takes some coordination using the controller. suggest using a strap so you don't drop your controller in the drink :)

Wow never tried hand catching in sports mode, Probably never will,
FWIW, even in Sport Mode the downward DO sensors work, so... Of no benefit to disable sensors for hand catching, cause the aircraft will still see the hand as an obstacle! See my post on Sean Ozz's videos... he covers this as one of the 'options' (that don't work).

Last edited:
I generally fly with the sensors off anyhow. Hit ..., and look on the safety tab.

I am trying to land my drone on the back of my boat but it won't land due to the sensors. I have to hand catch it. I would feel much better landing it as there is plenty of room. Sport mode isn't an option as i need to bring it in slow and easy. Hoping to find a better way to land.

Thanks.
Try bringing it in sideways...as you probably have to do to hand land anyway.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky