DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two way radio

Just curious, does your waiver or airspace authorization indicate that you need to contact the ATC via radio?

Can members shed light on what radio you are using for contacting ATC in class C air space?
FYI: If you start using radios please keep your transmissions well thought out, to the point, and keep it short. If you jabber the controllers will ignore you and remember who you were the next time you call and ignore you. Someone will usually popup stating not to transmit and get off the frequency!

You need a ground station license in the US if you are going to transmit messages over aviation frequencies. The telephone is easier.

Based on my discussion with the local Class Delta tower operations staff, a phone call is always preferred if you are not a GA pilot. Also, tower phone numbers will have voicemail capability so your message can be listened to when the staff's workload allows them to devote the time.

Just make sure to call in advance; if I am flying under Part 101, I make sure it is at least 24-hours in advance. And finally, don't forget let them know exactly where you will be flying, the radius of operations and your contact info so they can reach you.

Last edited:
While contact with the tower should be by phone, there is a good safety case to be made for monitoring the CTAF frequencies for the airports near you on a radio. It's line-of-sight reception so you may only hear the aircraft and not the tower.

With all the Class Delta airspace in my area and 3 heliports, I figure that it couldn't hurt to monitor the airwaves. And, because of the line-of-sight thing, I figure that if I can hear the aircraft then it is in my vicinity. This is especially true for the helicopters that transit my area.

Can members shed light on what radio you are using for contacting ATC in class C air space?

Speaking in the UK for past UK commercial operations. I have Emailed the ATC operations either military or civil. The details should have your name, phone number Sat Nav Lat and long grid ref and your intentions with time. That way it helps if anyone asks if you have contacted anyone. Prior phone call follow with e mail to confirm. nearly a paper trail to cover your rear end. This use of 2 way radio for spotters or a buddy lookout is a good idea.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Do not transmit a radio signal on ATC frequencies or you may end up in a lot of problems. As others have stated call them. Even FCC Licensed amateur radio operators are not allowed to broadcast on any of their frequencies.

Rob

Based on my discussion with the local Class Delta tower operations staff, a phone call is always preferred if you are not a GA pilot. Also, tower phone numbers will have voicemail capability so your message can be listened to when the staff's workload allows them to devote the time.

Just make sure to call in advance; if I am flying under Part 101, I make sure it is at least 24-hours in advance. And finally, don't forget let them know exactly where you will be flying, the radius of operations and your contact info so they can reach you.
Thank you for the advice.

I don't know for the US but in Canada in ground school training we were told that having a radio for monitoring as well as a quick brief emergency transmission to ATC in case your drone fly's away. A new legal requirement it would appear.

Based on that what radio would be a cost effective solution? I was looking at a cheap Baofeng radio for here in Canada. Cost effective being the key after all it is a safety requirement from what I understand.

There are many valid legal reasons to carry and use a radio to communicate with ATC if you are licensed to do so.

Last edited:
One of the guys I fly with uses a radio, but only for monitoring activity in the area.

You need a ground station license in the US if you are going to transmit messages over aviation frequencies. The telephone is easier.
Same in Australia, you must be licensed to transmit on aviation band. In theory shouldn’t be able to buy a radio without license, but this doesn’t really stop people getting a radio

Having said that,
A good radio, and one I’ve used for a while now
Icom IC-A15
But I think you really only need a scanner
TTI TSC-100RA Handheld Airband Scanner

I have the above mentioned cb radio and uploaded only the cb radio channels, works great and battery lasts for ages, I use that to communicate with the spotters I use when flying at work.
I also have a uniden ubcd 396 scanner to monitor air at all times and then have the icom radio, can’t remember the model to announce to air traffic my uav location.
I use the scanner 99% of the time because I like the fact that I can’t accidentally broadcast. The ICOM radio only comes out when I need to broadcast at 15 min intervals near smaller airports.

Baofeng UV-5R is a brilliant little radio.

It's a fine radio but it won't receive (or transmit) on the civilian aviation band - it doesn't have the coverage (108 - 136 MHz) or the ability to modulate/demodulate AM signals.

Reactions: Wilbur and Simmo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honzax