DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

U.S. Appeals Court Upholds FAA Remote ID Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the remote ID is a good thing BUT having the signal being available to anyone with the right software is a bad idea. I don't need some whack job tracking me down because they don't like drones just so they can cause trouble. Any Karen out there would have a field day.

Instead I think the signal should be encrypted and only authorized people such as law enforcement as such should have the "key" to decrypt and read the ID locations. There is absolutely no need for the general public to have the ability to track you. Law enforcement encrypts their radio traffic so Joe public can't listen in which keeps the police safe. The same should apply to us flyers.

I think that the remote ID is a good thing BUT having the signal being available to anyone with the right software is a bad idea. I don't need some whack job tracking me down because they don't like drones just so they can cause trouble. Any Karen out there would have a field day.

Instead I think the signal should be encrypted and only authorized people such as law enforcement as such should have the "key" to decrypt and read the ID locations. There is absolutely no need for the general public to have the ability to track you. Law enforcement encrypts their radio traffic so Joe public can't listen in which keeps the police safe. The same should apply to us flyers.
I definitely agree with you 100%. However, Your example is not realistic. I really think its an overreaction to think "Karens" actually have that ability to track you down JUST to chastise you while having ZERO authority. Most Karens are blowhards and have NO knowledge whatsoever of whatever the laws are that they are antagonizing you with. Just saying... THESE are the people you give that piece of paper to that has the federal laws all over it. The one thats on this forum that people are discussing right now... This a perfect situation to inform someone that they are breaking federal aviation laws. i dunno... just saying

Last edited:
Reactions: The Droning Company
While I agree... have you browsed Karen videos on YouTube? There's one where a guy purposely trolls parking lots looking for people that don't put their karts in the return area and slaps magnetic stickers on their cars. Only takes one of these type people to start trolling drone pilots and it gets ugly.

While I agree... have you browsed Karen videos on YouTube? There's one where a guy purposely trolls parking lots looking for people that don't put their karts in the return area and slaps magnetic stickers on their cars. Only takes one of these type people to start trolling drone pilots and it gets ugly.
You are correct, sir. I just wanted to shine light on the fact that its really not something to be afraid of...You mentioned one single person in a country that houses 329.5 million people. Your odds might have been better buying that lotto ticket last night... You are correct in being proactive but i don't think Karens are a legit reason to be against a law that does NOTHING except keep people safe from MORONS.

Last edited:
i havent really paid too much attention to the remote ID info. I have two M1P's. Does this mean that I wont be able to legally fly them or it will be too tough to track me down? Will there be a attachable remote ID transmitter available to us folks with older drones?

Everyone is forgetting one thing. Enforceability. Sure new drones might keep you from taking off but legacy drones with add on modules will not and who’s going to enforce it? And how? They can’t stop that (Mod Removed Language)in Philly from violating the rules what makes you think they will have better luck with RID.

I think remote-id on assault rifles would be a better use of government resources.
What you want it on knifes,rocks also .
Also do not turn this thread towards firearms.

I don't need some whack job tracking me down because they don't like drones
It seems like sUAS are being held to a pretty high standard of ID--
Are all (or any) other types of aircraft or users of Federal Airspace required to at all times to squawk as much information, even in class G airspace?

The only part of Remote ID that concerns me so far is what you said, above.

Having the location of the controller immediately available to any public person is almost an invitation for that person to seek out the PIC--Otherwise, why would it not be there --except for immediate use by anyone?

I really believe that for operator safety, the controller location should be encrypted or otherwise made available only to LEO.

Without an intervening set of steps needed before an enraged person (worst case) can confront a pilot, there is no "cooling off" period. Such a time lapse serve to temper a person's emotions or even cause them to become informed while they wait, thereby decreasing the likelihood of a heated conflict or even assault (worst case) by an uninformed or otherwise disagreeable person. It is the worst case--which isn't that hard to imagine, from which pilots should be protected.

Better that a really mad person should be have to go through a process of complaint to LEO, evaluation, investigation, (hopefully education as well), and that control of the situation not be 100% in the hands of a pissed off person.

Respectfully,
Mike

And let's not forget the possibility of thieves using RFID to go to your location to get their hands on your drone. While LEO'S DEFINATELY should have RFID info available to them, the general public should not.
There is much in RFID I agree with... but I believe that RFID information is best used ONLY by Law Enforcement.

And let's not forget the possibility of thieves using RFID to go to your location to get their hands on your drone. While LEO'S DEFINATELY should have RFID info available to them, the general public should not.
There is much in RFID I agree with... but I believe that RFID information is best used ONLY by Law Enforcement.
And of course I was referring to Remote ID NOT RFID. I have NO idea how that flipped synapse occurred.

Actually I kind of applaud the guy. I own some pretty expensive cars and I tend to avoid those shopping places. We have a Walmart about 5 minutes from us and the parking lot is filled with empty shopping carts, and have noticed people just shoving them in a corner and hitting other cars. These same people are probably the same ones that will slam their door against yours. At the same time I can go to Costco where there are also a lot of expensive cars and won't find a lone shopping cart anywhere. It just shows the difference in how people are brought up regarding other peoples property.

Attachments

• shopping_cart_test.jpeg
    shopping_cart_test.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 22
Actually I kind of applaud the guy. I own some pretty expensive cars and I tend to avoid those shopping places. We have a Walmart about 5 minutes from us and the parking lot is filled with empty shopping carts, and have noticed people just shoving them in a corner and hitting other cars. These same people are probably the same ones that will slam their door against yours. At the same time I can go to Costco where there are also a lot of expensive cars and won't find a lone shopping cart anywhere. It just shows the difference in how people are brought up regarding other peoples property.
Best stay at Costco then.
Now this started about RID . Have just deleted 1 post over a gun post and now we’ve gone to knocking Walmart shoppers. If
we can’t Stay On Topic I will close this thread.
Thanks guys.
dc

I dont know how remote ID is a benefit to anyone other that companies that want to be licensed to fly deliveries beyond visual line of site. How could it be a benefit to me as someone that knows and follows the current rules?

I think one obvious intended purpose of RID is an attempt to control the numerous (what the FAA considers) rogue flights we see all too often. If your flights are legal there shouldn’t be a problem. For those who break the law I’d think it would provide more evidence to convict and/or fine offenders and help provide an incentive to fly in compliance but that is just speculation. I don’t see any enforcing agency taking the time to monitor flights however if someone does cause an incident there might be proof of fault. At this point in time how effective it will be is anybody’s guess. For now, I’m not going to get excited and will wait to see how this all will actually pan out.

It seems like sUAS are being held to a pretty high standard of ID--
Are all (or any) other types of aircraft or users of Federal Airspace required to at all times to squawk as much information, even in class G airspace?
Airplanes shall remain free to fly over vast sections of the country with no squawk, no radio ID whatsoever. Its a privacy thing, the pilots say. And there is no need for it. Its not like anyone has ever tried to use an airplane to smuggle drugs, drop bombs or crash into buildings.

I dont know how remote ID is a benefit to anyone other that companies that want to be licensed to fly deliveries beyond visual line of site. How could it be a benefit to me as someone that knows and follows the current rules?
It would be of zero benefit to you whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61