DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

U.S. FCC commissioner wants new restrictions for DJI

No big deal... US Government has already banned purchasing DJI drones for their use as covered in the article... Also note that there is a Blue sUAS program...

Reactions: tlswift58
"DJI drones and the surveillance technology on board these systems are collecting vast amounts of sensitive data-everything from high-resolution images of critical infrastructure to facial recognition technology and remote sensors that can measure an individual’s body temperature and heart rate," Carr said in a statement. "We do not need an airborne version of Huawei."

What an idiot.

It’s common sense not to use them in any area that may be sensitive to national security. The government does need to step up and help create a viable alternative though.

Reactions: JTZ and asko
It’s common sense not to use them in any area that may be sensitive to national security. The government does need to step up and help create a viable alternative though.
A viable alternative to what?

"DJI drones and the surveillance technology on board these systems are collecting vast amounts of sensitive data-everything from high-resolution images of critical infrastructure to facial recognition technology and remote sensors that can measure an individual’s body temperature and heart rate," Carr said in a statement. "We do not need an airborne version of Huawei."

What an idiot.
They are every where. The USA does not have a monopoly on them.
Regards

What an idiot.

Agree. It has gotten so bad that I'm almost at the point where I think prspective legislators and government appointees should be required to take an IQ test. There is so very much misinformation floating around on every level that has long since crossed the line into pure ridiculousness, and I guess I'd rather believe that these people are simply stupid rather than the alternative ... that they are blatantly corrupt and dishonest.

This could be a hit to our beloved hobby or career! I would pay attention to further news on this.
I heard there is more that this moron wants to do to prohibit sales to the US all together.
I don't want to get political with this thread, so keep it in the low guys! 🧐

Reactions: DroneToJoy
This could be a hit to our beloved hobby or career! I would pay attention to further news on this.
I heard there is more that this moron wants to do to prohibit sales to the US all together.

I actually think it is very unlikely that he will get any traction with this - it's simply too ridiculous and his analogy with Huawei is obviously inappropriate. He's posturing for someone or something.

They are every where. The USA does not have a monopoly on them.
Regards
In general, and to greater or less extent, yes. But this kind of blatant nonsense is largely driven here by the lobby system - something that doesn't exist in most other first-world countries.

Having been at Huawei, and witnessed first hand what goes on inside one of their operations, well, laugh all you want about spying and corporate espionage: but they are very very good at it. And Corporate America is anxious to let them steal from us, all to make the current quarter look a bit better to rake in that bonus; I am happy someone somewhere realizes the risks. But, sadly, he is much too late; damage done and all that.

DJI - while not Huawei - is just as indentured to Beijing as Huawei. No reason to expect much difference in the espionage arena. But the intelligence from drone images and flight info is probably not as valuable as the technology and comm data they get from other sources, like Huawei.

Reactions: Corsair415
Having been at Huawei, and witnessed first hand what goes on inside one of their operations, well, laugh all you want about spying and corporate espionage: but they are very very good at it. And Corporate America is anxious to let them steal from us, all to make the current quarter look a bit better to rake in that bonus; I am happy someone somewhere realizes the risks. But, sadly, he is much too late; damage done and all that.

DJI - while not Huawei - is just as indentured to Beijing as Huawei. No reason to expect much difference in the espionage arena. But the intelligence from drone images and flight info is probably not as valuable as the technology and comm data they get from other sources, like Huawei.
Fanboyism blinds people to reality.

But that's the point. Huawei presents clear and obvious risks, even though they are often overstated. In contrast, Carr's assertions regarding DJI are simply absurd, and it demeans the entire FCC when one of its commissioners makes such statements.

What did you hear exactly that would cause the government to ban sales to civilians??. The only things this and other articles talk about is banning purchase funding of DJI products from governnment institutions. I see nothing to concern hobbyists or civilian 107 pilots who use these products.

What did you hear exactly that would cause the government to ban sales to civilians??. The only things this and other articles talk about is banning purchase funding of DJI products from governnment institutions. I see nothing to concern hobbyists or civilian 107 pilots who use these products.
Exactly!

Although it could limit work done by 107 certified pilots that bid on government funded jobs that use equipment on the blacklist.

Everyone seems so worried about DJI / China' but doing nothing to the Tech Behemoths like FB, Google, etc that collects tons of data daily to use as they wish.

Huawei is very different. They were into network infrastructure where they like Big Tech in America can gobble up tons of data per day.

Since even most 107 pilots are restricted from flying in sensitive areas; I'm not sure what they would expect DJI to capture that their Spy Satellites already do not. As for Rec Flyers - like said already - hope they enjoy all the nature scenery - that BTW they can find on FB, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok, and all forms of Social Media that everyone posts too.

It would be easy for the Government and it's brainiacs to buy any drone - Chinese or otherwise - and take it apart piece by piece and decode the code to see exactly what the drone / equipment DOES capture. How do you think they caught Huawei and others? Reverse engineer just like the Chinese and Russians have done for decades. Simply look at most of their modern fighter aircraft and they are almost an exact copy of what the US has produced. I think the US can do the same and even build its own drones that will satisfy the morons who head up most of the federal government agencies.

Reactions: AZDave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78