DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 U-Tube ruins my videos!!

I am not monetized on YouTube. When I upload I just specify 4K HD. When I hit the upload button, it uploads an SD version first and then continues to upload the 4K version.... process takes about 35-35 min and will show a countdown clock.

Thanks. I always check the higher resolution when watching YouTube.
Have not really posted there with my Videos, never think they are good enough to put out to the whole world, my closest friends are not as cutting as some keyboard warriors. My ego is too fragile :(

As mentioned above, this problem is almost certainly being caused in the rendering process. Not all editors are the same and the difference between a perfect video and one that is so pixilated you can't watch is usually down to understanding rendering.

When it comes to Youtube, they can accept many formats and codecs but there are certain settings that make all the difference in the world. It was mentioned that these were shot at 1080 60 fps, but the videos by the OP are running 1080 30 fps. Most likely the editor could not or did not interpret or export that frame rate.

When it comes to using presets during rendering my advice is to not use them at all or at best, check to see how the setting match up to YT's advanced encoding preferred settings (see below). Typically, most presets in consumer NLE's are not set to maximize the bit rate (longer render times) but rather are meant to have a quicker render at the expense of end product.

Here is a simple way to see how much quality you are losing, take a video right off the sd card, right click and look in properties for the file size, (my M2P runs about 700 megs for a minute of footage) - after editing, rendering and exporting but before upload to YT - check the file size. Most 'presets will cut that bitrate in half.

When I render a video out, the file size (depending on effects color correction and so forth) - are higher per minute than the raw video right off the card.

If you can control the setting and want the best video you can get on YT here are the correct settings for render. Most editors these days that have presets, have most of this built in but notice there is no bitrate limit, if you can crank it - do it.

Advanced encoding settings​

Recommended bitrates, codecs, and resolutions, and more​

Container: .mp4​

• No Edit Lists (or you may lose AV sync)
  • moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)

Audio Codec: AAC-LC​

• Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
  • Sample rate 96khz or 48 khz

Video Codec: H.264​

• Progressive scan (no interlacing)
  • High Profile
  • 2 consecutive B frames
  • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
  • CABAC
  • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required.
  • Color Space: 4.2.0
So, the "Low practice" the second video at the top of this thread... Straight off the SD card is 602mb, after I did my "editing" it was at 686mb. so the edited version was larger. And yes it was shot at 1080 at 60 fps. Took right about 6 ish hours to upload to U-Tube...

Reactions: Ty Pilot
You keep blaming YouTube when tons of us have no problem uploading non-monetized high res videos that play just fine. As long as you keep insisting that it isn't your problem you aren't going to get it fixed.
All I know is it looks good before going to u tube and like **** after...

So, the "Low practice" the second video at the top of this thread... Straight off the SD card is 602mb, after I did my "editing" it was at 686mb. so the edited version was larger. And yes it was shot at 1080 at 60 fps. Took right about 6 ish hours to upload to U-Tube...
Got it, but the video uploaded to Youtube was somehow only 30 FPS?

Right click on your You Tube Video, then click 'Stats For Nerds', all of the details about your video and playback are there. When videos are uploaded at 60 fps there is an icon in the bottom right hand corner that will say '60 FPS.

Curious, what editor did you use?

Right click on your You Tube Video, then click 'Stats For Nerds', all of the details about your video and playback are there. When videos are uploaded at 60 fps there is an icon in the bottom right hand corner that will say '60 FPS.

Curious, what editor did you use?
Yes I did that but I saw no "fps" listed anywhere.

Its just called "video editor" came with my HP computer.

And the whole point of that video was to re-do one I did earlier at 1080 at 25 fps to help with focus... and it got worse..

Last edited:
Third line down in 'Stats For Nerds' says - Current/Optimal Res 1920x1080@30

Your video editor is likely not able to read or interpret 60 fps OR you may need to set the preferences of the timeline to 60 fps before rendering - without seeing your program I am not 100% - but for sure it rendered out at 30.

Third line down in 'Stats For Nerds' says - Current/Optimal Res 1920x1080@30

Your video editor is likely not able to read or interpret 60 fps OR you may need to set the preferences of the timeline to 60 fps before rendering - without seeing your program I am not 100% - but for sure it rendered out at 30.
I just went there and it says 0x0...

Just to be clear - in your first post you have two videos, choose one and hit 'Play' then right click on the video as it plays and click stats for nerds.

Stats.jpg

Did you say 6 Hours to upload to youtube ?

You need to start here: Its all free > Its a good starting block we can all work from.
Once you set up your Free Google Drive you can upload big video and send it to anyone of your friends , but right now
you want to post it for us to download .

Most likely if your video is taking 6 Hours when my video twice as long as yours takes 10 minutes something is really wrong. it may be that you are taking low Resolution video and scaling it to 4K which we be no good and explain the extremely long render times.

Keep me posted

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Snow and Land on Water.

How to get up a google free Drive : On the cloud.

Google Drive: Getting Started with Google Drive

So here are a couple of my woods videos, shot them in 1080 at 60fps and until I loaded them to U-Tube they were reasonably smooth and crystal clear... Now they are basically unwatchable.. Wish you cold see them before U-tube got them.
If this is how they are going to come from u -tube what is the point, cant hardly even watch them!!!

What to do???

I think the reason why is because you’re shootings at 1080 , then if YouTube degrade the quality, that’s why your videos are looking like that, why you don’t shoot at 4K?, then YouTube will degrade them to 1080 ,

Apparently you get enough views that the better compression algorithm kicked in ;)
I have uploaded a grand total of two videos to YouTube, I'm not monetized, and I have less than 30 total viewers. Here's one of those videos:

Looks decent enough to me. Stats says it is 4K 30fps.

Did you say 6 Hours to upload to youtube ?

You need to start here: Its all free > Its a good starting block we can all work from.
Once you set up your Free Google Drive you can upload big video and send it to anyone of your friends , but right now
you want to post it for us to download .

Most likely if your video is taking 6 Hours when my video twice as long as yours takes 10 minutes something is really wrong. it may be that you are taking low Resolution video and scaling it to 4K which we be no good and explain the extremely long render times.

Keep me posted

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain and Snow and Land on Water.

How to get up a google free Drive : On the cloud.

Google Drive: Getting Started with Google Drive
And that was a quick one. The top video in this thread , all of 3 minutes or so, I started uploading at 4-5 in the afternoon and it did not finish till 10 or 11.... the next morning! so what?? 19-20 hours? That's not normal eh? That's why all this is so frustrating... waiting that long for it to be turned to garbage!

I think the reason why is because you’re shootings at 1080 , then if YouTube degrade the quality, that’s why your videos are looking like that, why you don’t shoot at 4K?, then YouTube will degrade them to 1080 ,
I'm thinking, maybe I'm wrong, but it would be too big of a file... heck a minute and a half video already takes 5-6 hours to upload to u-tube.

I have uploaded a grand total of two videos to YouTube, I'm not monetized, and I have less than 30 total viewers. Here's one of those videos:

Looks decent enough to me. Stats says it is 4K 30fps.
Looks to have some of the same mutations as mine do..

Looks to have some of the same mutations as mine do..
I gave you link to open the google drive , let me know when its up,
I think you may be upscaling your video from 1080 to maybe 4K 60 I wont know to you upload the original movie file to the goole drive. Its free so you should have no problems.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s