DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 U-Tube ruins my videos!!

No , they were completely out of focus , which is why I pointed it out in his original post,
Watching it on the bigger screen you could really see how poor quality the video was .. I was surprised you let it go, lol

It almost looks like the Controller video from the Cashe and not the SD card ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain / Snow
Hmmm.. I actually think the first ones I edited were from the cashe and the second two were from the SD card. Cause the first two I edited on the fly app so they would have come from my iPad mini (the cashe right?) but the second two I edited with an app that was preloaded onto my computer so I would have used the SD card there.. along with all the original unedited ones I did.

So I may give up on these little videos if U-Tube just ruins them... I was just doing this for fun and I'm getting advice (thank you guys very much for that) but its advice for Vimeo at $xx a month and video editing software for another $xx a month.. I wasn't interested in spending a bunch of money to play around with this thing, was just looking for a way to show what I was doing.. but again seems like the better I get at doing it the worse the videos look so whats the point????

So I may give up on these little videos if U-Tube just ruins them... I was just doing this for fun and I'm getting advice (thank you guys very much for that) but its advice for Vimeo at $xx a month and video editing software for another $xx a month.. I wasn't interested in spending a bunch of money to play around with this thing, was just looking for a way to show what I was doing.. but again seems like the better I get at doing it the worse the videos look so whats the point????

Don't give up hope just yet. You can upload good videos to YouTube, but things gotta be set right. And in order to get them right you have to have a good editor program and your encoding and rendering them for upload to youtube is what is holding you back. As I told you before you give YouTube "iffy" video, it smashes the videos. As mentioned above it likes the ouput encode well matched...the software your using doesn't allow you to adjust these things.

Again learning to fly is one thing, learning to fly well is a ongoing process. Learning to "Film" is one thing, Learning how to edit and render those "Films" is a ongoing process. This isn't as easy as it looked on the outside from that first purchase is it? ;)

At this point you can go old school and just get a shuttle SDCard and use snail mail to send that sucker out and about to friends and family if need be. But a Drop site like google drive (As well as others will work as well) will yield the way to a simple electronic transfer till you get sorted on editing software. You could also look into Torrenting, but that is a whole new avenue as well. Hang in there...it's like riding a bike, once you get it...you got it. :)

Let's try this, this is the old 2012 Windows Movie Maker (now defunct) here is how to put it on your "old" computer...it has a youtube output function, certainly not the best, but may yield you some better results, it's a easy to learn, slimlined editor with no frills. RC Groups - View Single Post - DJI Mini 2 Drone

Last edited:
Don't give up hope just yet. You can upload good videos to YouTube, but things gotta be set right. And in order to get them right you have to have a good editor program and your encoding and rendering them for upload to youtube is what is holding you back. As I told you before you give YouTube "iffy" video, it smashes the videos. As mentioned above it likes the ouput encode well matched...the software your using doesn't allow you to adjust these things.

Again learning to fly is one thing, learning to fly well is a ongoing process. Learning to "Film" is one thing, Learning how to edit and render those "Films" is a ongoing process. This isn't as easy as it looked on the outside from that first purchase is it? ;)

At this point you can go old school and just get a shuttle SDCard and use snail mail to send that sucker out and about to friends and family if need be. But a Drop site like google drive (As well as others will work as well) will yield the way to a simple electronic transfer till you get sorted on editing software. You could also look into Torrenting, but that is a whole new avenue as well. Hang in there...it's like riding a bike, once you get it...you got it. :)

Let's try this, this is the old 2012 Windows Movie Maker (now defunct) here is how to put it on your "old" computer...it has a youtube output function, certainly not the best, but may yield you some better results, it's a easy to learn, slimlined editor with no frills. RC Groups - View Single Post - DJI Mini 2 Drone
From above.. the flying is.. the filming part is not! BUT... I did get this to fly, not to make movies.

My computer isn't that old, I don't think anyway.. maybe 4-5 years?? I do have Movie Maker 10 on here, is that the same??

Supposed to be rainy today I'll try playing a little later after I get some other stuff done.

Thanks..

So here are a couple of my woods videos, shot them in 1080 at 60fps and until I loaded them to U-Tube they were reasonably smooth and crystal clear... Now they are basically unwatchable.. Wish you cold see them before U-tube got them.
If this is how they are going to come from u -tube what is the point, cant hardly even watch them!!!

What to do???

This may be a simple solution but for watching You Tube videos I always first set the resolution before watching. Pause the film and go to the COG at the bottom right of the image. Then open the resolution stack and select the highest one available. Here is a screen grab of what I mean. You might be watching a lower resolution file.

By the way, this is one of the reasons I have stopped using You Tube in favor of Vimeo. I subscribe to the 20GB per month (lowest paid membership). Check out one of my videos for clarity

Dale
Miami
You Tube resolution.jpg

From above.. the flying is.. the filming part is not! BUT... I did get this to fly, not to make movies.

My computer isn't that old, I don't think anyway.. maybe 4-5 years?? I do have Movie Maker 10 on here, is that the same??

Supposed to be rainy today I'll try playing a little later after I get some other stuff done.

Thanks..

You need to open a google drive account< Upload the Video , the solution is a simple one .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain /Snow and land on Water.

Reactions: A.O.
YouTube re-encodes everything that is sent up to it into multiple versions with varied resolutions. When someone plays it, YouTube tests the internet connection, and picks a file that will play well with that connection (no visible buffering, compression artifacts etc).

With a fast internet connection, it will play a high quality file which will look good on a 4K tv. If the connection is poor, it will play a SD or less resolution file that looks like a pig’s breakfast.

Most streaming sites do this. Check your internet connection speeds. You need at least download speeds of 20-25 Mb/sec for high quality video.

As well, be sure you use the files off the SD card. Files on any phone or laptop are poor resolution reduced proxies of the files on the SD CARD.

This may be a simple solution but for watching You Tube videos I always first set the resolution before watching. Pause the film and go to the COG at the bottom right of the image. Then open the resolution stack and select the highest one available. Here is a screen grab of what I mean. You might be watching a lower resolution file.

By the way, this is one of the reasons I have stopped using You Tube in favor of Vimeo. I subscribe to the 20GB per month (lowest paid membership). Check out one of my videos for clarity

Dale
Miami
View attachment 122840

Did you take your "chill pill" today?

And thanks.. it does make it better, but still no where near as clear as before it went to U-Tube..

Unless you have enough views to be monetized, your video uploads are degraded. Right click on YouTube video and look at the stats for nerds compression algorithm ;) vp09 good and avc1 bad!
That's total BS. I have hardly any views and never have my uploads been downgraded.

Unless you have enough views to be monetized, your video uploads are degraded. Right click on YouTube video and look at the stats for nerds compression algorithm ;) vp09 good and avc1 bad!
I realize youtube is notorious for compressing uploads but I don't monetize and can get decent looking 4K displayed.

Nice. What bird and settings do you use recording?
I recorded most of it in 60fps 4k. Point is, it's not YouTube that is causing the issue. The issue is the format the originals were recorded in and the settings used to export from Premiere (assuming that's what you are using). Some good advice from others on how to do that so won't rehash that. I upload 4K and 1080p footage to YouTube all the time on a couple of different accounts and never ran into any degradation issues.

Thanks..
Forgot to answer you earlier, no it isn't the same. One was built into windows way back when. The other is a third Party App...would probably be more robust, question is is that a free trail or free?

I recorded most of it in 60fps 4k. Point is, it's not YouTube that is causing the issue. The issue is the format the originals were recorded in and the settings used to export from Premiere (assuming that's what you are using). Some good advice from others on how to do that so won't rehash that. I upload 4K and 1080p footage to YouTube all the time on a couple of different accounts and never ran into any degradation issues.
Well all I know is my videos are crystal clear before I up load to U tube so how you figure its not u tube I'm not sure.

Forgot to answer you earlier, no it isn't the same. One was built into windows way back when. The other is a third Party App...would probably be more robust, question is is that a free trail or free?
And I dont know..

Thank You. I was not questioning the above issues with upload quality. I Like your video and was simply asking what bird and settings you were using to possible improve on my own work if one the same bird.

Well all I know is my videos are crystal clear before I up load to U tube so how you figure its not u tube I'm not sure.
You keep blaming YouTube when tons of us have no problem uploading non-monetized high res videos that play just fine. As long as you keep insisting that it isn't your problem you aren't going to get it fixed.

Reactions: LJinATL
As mentioned above, this problem is almost certainly being caused in the rendering process. Not all editors are the same and the difference between a perfect video and one that is so pixilated you can't watch is usually down to understanding rendering.

When it comes to Youtube, they can accept many formats and codecs but there are certain settings that make all the difference in the world. It was mentioned that these were shot at 1080 60 fps, but the videos by the OP are running 1080 30 fps. Most likely the editor could not or did not interpret or export that frame rate.

When it comes to using presets during rendering my advice is to not use them at all or at best, check to see how the setting match up to YT's advanced encoding preferred settings (see below). Typically, most presets in consumer NLE's are not set to maximize the bit rate (longer render times) but rather are meant to have a quicker render at the expense of end product.

Here is a simple way to see how much quality you are losing, take a video right off the sd card, right click and look in properties for the file size, (my M2P runs about 700 megs for a minute of footage) - after editing, rendering and exporting but before upload to YT - check the file size. Most 'presets will cut that bitrate in half.

When I render a video out, the file size (depending on effects color correction and so forth) - are higher per minute than the raw video right off the card.

If you can control the setting and want the best video you can get on YT here are the correct settings for render. Most editors these days that have presets, have most of this built in but notice there is no bitrate limit, if you can crank it - do it.

Advanced encoding settings​

Recommended bitrates, codecs, and resolutions, and more​

Container: .mp4​

• No Edit Lists (or you may lose AV sync)
  • moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)

Audio Codec: AAC-LC​

• Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
  • Sample rate 96khz or 48 khz

Video Codec: H.264​

• Progressive scan (no interlacing)
  • High Profile
  • 2 consecutive B frames
  • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
  • CABAC
  • Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required.
  • Color Space: 4.2.0

To send large video / photo files I use WeTransfer., up to 4 GB per send. It’s a free service although you can pay for upgrade to send really large files at one time.
(YouTube..incorrect sorry) like FB for unmonetized posters will normally change quality to lower settings to reduce bandwidth?
Ive never really been interested to post on YouTube but I do know FB will alter the quality of your photos.

Edit: after being corrected about YouTube my mistake.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard