DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 U-Tube ruins my videos!!

I gave you link to open the google drive , let me know when its up,
I think you may be upscaling your video from 1080 to maybe 4K 60 I wont know to you upload the original movie file to the goole drive. Its free so you should have no problems.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Pouring Rain.
I'll try later today.. thanks

Ahh... I’ve been judging by my 1GB/sec speed.
And it doesn't bother me so much the long upload time I'm kind of used to that living out in the country all the time, but to wait that long only for the videos to be ruined that bothers me.

Last edited:
Looks to have some of the same mutations as mine do..
It doesn't. I and a few friends have watched that video multiple times (from YouTube) and the detail is very good. I have no idea what you are doing on your end, but it isn't the fault of YouTube. Your upload speeds are terrible compared to everyone else, and that alone should tell you that something is weird on your end. What ISP do you use, and what does a speed check site like Ookla tell you your upload speed is?

Looks to have some of the same mutations as mine do..

Use the "Copy Link" button in the upper right hand corner and paste that separately into a new tab of your browser to view the video direct from YouTube. Does that look any better for you? I got some video mush myself when I just viewed the video here within this thread.

It doesn't. I and a few friends have watched that video multiple times (from YouTube) and the detail is very good. I have no idea what you are doing on your end, but it isn't the fault of YouTube. Your upload speeds are terrible compared to everyone else, and that alone should tell you that something is weird on your end. What ISP do you use, and what does a speed check site like Ookla tell you your upload speed is?
Ready for this.. I just went to Ookla and checked
13.09 Mbps download
0.69 Mbps upload!!

Use the "Copy Link" button in the upper right hand corner and paste that separately into a new tab of your browser to view the video direct from YouTube. Does that look any better for you? I got some video mush myself when I just viewed the video here within this thread.
Just did this, looks about the same.

Just did this, looks about the same.
I don't know what to tell you then, because it looks fine when I do it and I'm pretty critical. I can pause the video and zoom in to see some pretty impressive detail.

I have uploaded a grand total of two videos to YouTube, I'm not monetized, and I have less than 30 total viewers. Here's one of those videos:

Looks decent enough to me. Stats says it is 4K 30fps.
I must have some of the same problems. That video is virtually unwatchable. The rock in the middle is mostly in focus... most of the brush around looks like smoke blurring in and out. When things move very fast, the picture pixelates. Perhaps this is the compression issue that Phantomrain was talking about on an earlier thread?

It looks better in the small window. When I go to full screen... it gives me a headache.

Reactions: A.O.
I must have some of the same problems. That video is virtually unwatchable. The rock in the middle is mostly in focus... most of the brush around looks like smoke blurring in and out. When things move very fast, the picture pixelates. Perhaps this is the compression issue that Phantomrain was talking about on an earlier thread?

It looks better in the small window. When I go to full screen... it gives me a headache.
Agreed, and thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was beginning to wonder.

Apparently you get enough views that the better compression algorithm kicked in ;)
I'm guessing that's sarcastic bc I don't get many views at all...regardless, they look fine before they get a single view.

Thanks guys for mentioning the 'Stats For Nerds" on YouTube videos. I was not previously aware that's where ya go to check resolution and fps. I typically record videos from my MA2 in 4K, 30fps. I try to keep them between 1-min to 3-mins long and upload them to YouTube in the same resolution. I just checked the "Stats For Nerds" on a few of my posted videos and they all indicate 1280x720x30 fps. That seems like a major down res. Is there a way to change that? My internet speed is pretty swift so uploads to YouTube usually take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half depending on the length/size of the video. Here's one I uploaded to YouTube recently that was shot in 4k, 30.

Last edited:
As a follow up to my previous post I clicked the "Settings" icon while watching that video and noticed my viewing settings were at 1280x720x30 fps. I changed it to 4K which seems to make the viewed quality of my video better. But that raises the question of what resolution did the video really uploaded at? It seems the "Stats For Nerds" tells me what resolution I'm watching in rather than telling me what resolution the video uploaded at. Am I missing something or simply looking for the upload resolution and frame rate in the wrong place?

As a follow up to my previous post I clicked the "Settings" icon while watching that video and noticed my viewing settings were at 1280x720x30 fps. I changed it to 4K which seems to make the viewed quality of my video better. But that raises the question of what resolution did the video really uploaded at? It seems the "Stats For Nerds" tells me what resolution I'm watching in rather than telling me what resolution the video uploaded at. Am I missing something or simply looking for the upload resolution and frame rate in the wrong place?
Good questions!

If you upload at 4K they will be available to view at 4K. Whether or not you view them at that resolution is up to a few factors such as internet speed and the selected resolution of the viewer. Stats for nerds shows the 'Current and Optimal' resolutions, so if your settings in the youtube viewer are set to 'Auto' then it will select the highest resolution available based on your internet speed. If you have a fast speed the highest will always be indicated.

However if you have a slow connection, you could click on a 4K video but only see it at 720. If you click on the little cog wheel (settings) you'll see all available resolutions and you can manually pick which one you want. Also, that figure is simply the resolution delivered not displayed. For instance, you can watch a 4K video with a monitor that is only 1080 and it will look great but it's not at 4K but it does have the highest resolution possible.

Reactions: A.O.
If you upload at 4K they will be available to view at 4K. Whether or not you view them at that resolution is up to a few factors such as internet speed and the selected resolution of the viewer. Stats for nerds shows the 'Current and Optimal' resolutions, so if your settings in the youtube viewer are set to 'Auto' then it will select the highest resolution available based on your internet speed. If you have a fast speed the highest will always be indicated.

However if you have a slow connection, you could click on a 4K video but only see it at 720. If you click on the little cog wheel (settings) you'll see all available resolutions and you can manually pick which one you want. Also, that figure is simply the resolution delivered not displayed. For instance, you can watch a 4K video with a monitor that is only 1080 and it will look great but it's not at 4K but it does have the highest resolution possible.
Good to know ? Thanks for clarifying that. ?

As a test per this thread, I just took a 4K 60fps video with my MA2 this afternoon, and then directly uploaded it (completely unedited) to YouTube at https:/youtu.be/BvnvjL-4kRc. Nerd Stats says it is playing back to me at 1080p 60 fps. It doesn't give me the option to play it back at 4K, which I believe it should if I'm willing to accept jerky playback. So did it get uploaded at 4K and YouTube is just adjusting it based upon my download bandwidth, or did it get uploaded at 1080p ... and if so why? Did it get adjusted based upon my upload speed? If so, that could explain why A.O. with his 0.69 upload speed had problems.

My original 4K file certainly is sharper than the YouTube version.* Although the video was taken in the late afternoon and the winter sun makes the colors even more washed out than you'd expect dry Arizona terrain to look.

Thanks for any comments.

*p.s. I have a several different video players and it's quite interesting the different quality (mostly with regard to jerkiness) between them. Surprisingly to me, Windows' "Movies & TV" seems to play the best ... even better than VLC. I think that's probably because Movies & TV plays true full screen on my 4K monitor, whereas the others insist on windowing it ... which I'm sure requires some on-the-fly rendering.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters