DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAE and Dubai rules and regulations

Now, for those flying in Dubai, there are two academies which issue the courses, one is Sanad and the other is Exponent. I have been to Sanad.
I did my test/course at Exponent. It's a one day course they do on Saturdays for Hobbyists. Exponent is an actual drone company so they know their stuff. They developed the commercial drone system for the DCAA. They also do alot of other work, including developing drones for traffic monitoring, surveying, they even had a big drone that had a leaf blower on it, to blow the sand off solar panels!!!

Hi everyone! Can somebody show me a sample of gcaa permit or registration or anything they call it.

Hey guys I got my GCAA certificate today. As I was looking for the information below, I know it would be useful to the people on my level.

Here is my experience with it:

1) I signed up online on the GCAA website. Which included me signing up on the website and then adding a drone to my profile.

2) Once the above was over, I got an email from GCAA to come collect the certificate from dubai office after showing the originals I submitted with the application (Emirates ID, Visa copy, picture of drone), I went to the GCAA office behind carrefour airport road instead.

3) My certificate was not ready at that branch, lady at reception spoke to the dubai office who then asked me to mail the GCAA common mail to send my certificate to Abu Dhabi. Once I did that I received a confirmation mail, stating that they will notify me once its ready for pickup. Took them 2 days + 2 days weekend to get it to Abu Dhabi. And I picked it up today showing them nothing but my Emirates ID.

All above was Free of cost :)

To my disappointment, it was nothing but a piece of paper with all the information I typed in while registering on a stamped company letter head.

I hope this information helps as now I feel more confident to fly higher. Not to mention that i have flow to a height of 121m without it :) and I have total of 43 "test" flights already :D

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Bro can I ask ypu something? When I check UAE drone fly zone app showing that the whole abu dhabi under red zone means no fly zone?

Hoping for your quick response.

Thanks.

To chime in my experience with Dubai Police.

I had a positive experience with Dubai police, and the bottom line, you need a Dubai Civil Aviation Authority DCAA license\permit to be acknowledged by the law enforcement bodies in Dubai.

And until now, it seems SANAD academy is the only way to certify pilots and drones to DCAA, following the steps mentioned in this thread.

my 2 cents

So here is my take on this:

There are two types of permits hobbyist and professional / commercial.

There also two general aviation authorities. UAE (gcaa) and dubai.(DCAA)

If you intent to fly anywhere UAE (including dubai) you need the first BUT if you want to fly in dubai you need the second ALSO

To register in DCAA you need the course either from sanam or exponent

You are NOT allowed as a hobbyist to film under any circumstances. You can use the camera as a flying aid (always in line of sight) BUT you cannot record.

To record you need professional or commercial licence AND approval from DCAA/GCAA

You cannot fly anywhere in Abu Dhabi / in prohibited zones / restricted etc. Also you have to comply with no flying over populated areas, recreational areas or closer than 300 ft from any person (in dubai this limit is 150ft)

Also you are not allowed to bring a drone in the country without the necessary registrations or your drone will be held in customs until you do.

Hope it helps

To chime in my experience with Dubai Police.

I had a positive experience with Dubai police, and the bottom line, you need a Dubai Civil Aviation Authority DCAA license\permit to be acknowledged by the law enforcement bodies in Dubai.

And until now, it seems SANAD academy is the only way to certify pilots and drones to DCAA, following the steps mentioned in this thread.

my 2 cents
here

So here is my take on this:

There are two types of permits hobbyist and professional / commercial.

There also two general aviation authorities. UAE (gcaa) and dubai.(DCAA)

If you intent to fly anywhere UAE (including dubai) you need the first BUT if you want to fly in dubai you need the second ALSO

To register in DCAA you need the course either from sanam or exponent

You are NOT allowed as a hobbyist to film under any circumstances. You can use the camera as a flying aid (always in line of sight) BUT you cannot record.

To record you need professional or commercial licence AND approval from DCAA/GCAA

You cannot fly anywhere in Abu Dhabi / in prohibited zones / restricted etc. Also you have to comply with no flying over populated areas, recreational areas or closer than 300 ft from any person (in dubai this limit is 150ft)

Also you are not allowed to bring a drone in the country without the necessary registrations or your drone will be held in customs until you do.

Hope it helps

here

Can you provide a link to the point you are raising, because based on my experience so far:

1-You don't need GCAA to fly in Dubai, period, the only thing Dubai police will ask you onsite, the DCAA license and the Barcode tag on the drone.(From personal experience)

2-You can record video, outside the NFZ in Dubai and 50 meters away from homes or residential buildings (Based on SANAD academy and DCAA administration in DXB terminal 1)

3-Buying drones online is allowed and will pass customs normally, people buy From DJI website.

Also, traveller's are allowed to have the drone in their carry-on or checked luggage while entering Dubai, and of course same RSA regulations for the batteries are applied.

Look,

Dubai will not ask for your GCAA licence true. DCAA is established as an autonomous body It is trying to enforce a more lelaxed version of the law. But we are talking on the letter of the law. Dubai is an emirate of UAE and federal law superceeds local one. So in case of complain, accident etc you will have to comply with both as the law is clear.

Have a look here

Aviation safety - The Official Portal of the UAE Government

https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/pages/UASRegistration.aspx

Also go to GCAA, epublications, click civil aviation regulations, click part 8, sub part 10 operation of unmanned aircraft

Check section 3.4 category 1a section x
Use of video or image capturing devices shall be prohibited

Regarding recording,

It's one thing what people say and what is the law. If you accept the fact that GCAA is a supervisory body for UAE, dubai law cannot superceed state law. In fact air accident investigations and security matters are performed at Federal level. The only difference of hobbyist level licence and professional/commercial is the ability to fly above 400ft AGL and perform flight operations (which include filming). If you ask for permission for filming, you need to be commercial/professional licence holder AND MoD might send an individual to inspect the operation and they even have the right to take the SD card and return it later edited. Go to DCAA select eservices and see under aerial operations a logo with drone select it and see that this applies to companies and individuals. Service costs 3020aed.

For your last point
Buying online is not the same as walking through customs. Drones are sold in malls. 914Mhz transmitters are also sold in malls, which are reserved frequencies for UAE military and forbidden of use.

No one will stop a mavic in the airport true. But they have the right to do so and if you produce you GCAA/DCAA registration you will go through. Professional crews need to obtain an import licence when bringing equipment from abroad. So it's your call.

A letter from GCAA costs zero and is sent in 1 second from their system. It's a no regret move to register your drone with GCAA.

If you live in UAE I am sure you appreciate how the letter of the law is important once you leave the "happy path". This the law of the country and in my view it's ok as long as you respect it. It's a country that respects privacy more than other countries in Europe and we need to be aware of this.

Hope it helps

Can you provide a link to the point you are raising, because based on my experience so far:

1-You don't need GCAA to fly in Dubai, period, the only thing Dubai police will ask you onsite, the DCAA license and the Barcode tag on the drone.(From personal experience)

2-You can record video, outside the NFZ in Dubai and 50 meters away from homes or residential buildings (Based on SANAD academy and DCAA administration in DXB terminal 1)

3-Buying drones online is allowed and will pass customs normally, people buy From DJI website.

Also, traveller's are allowed to have the drone in their carry-on or checked luggage while entering Dubai, and of course same RSA regulations for the batteries are applied.

Thanks for the detailed reply...

I live here for almost 20 years, so I fully understand, and actually, I have the GCAA letter as well.

But as I stated as a personal experience, Dubai Police doesnt ask or acknowledge the GCAA permit, but of course, as it's free and done online, better safe than sorry.

Meanwhile, what's your favorite spots for flying?

I like to fly at al lusail since I mainly fly RC helis. (If you go by the book you can't fly there either as it's a segregated airspace but since its RC I guess it's ok)

I also like to fly over the sea by the beach. You get the occasional boat to chase and get nice views

Desert by the sunset can also give you amazing views

Have you been to Area 51? A lot of drone pilots including FPV go there.

I live here for almost 20 years, so I fully understand, and actually, I have the GCAA letter as well.

But as I stated as a personal experience, Dubai Police doesnt ask or acknowledge the GCAA permit, but of course, as it's free and done online, better safe than sorry.

I like to fly at al lusail since I mainly fly RC helis. (If you go by the book you can't fly there either as it's a segregated airspace but since its RC I guess it's ok)

I also like to fly over the sea by the beach. You get the occasional boat to chase and get nice views

Desert by the sunset can also give you amazing views

Have you been to Area 51? A lot of drone pilots including FPV go there.

Area 51?? In UAE!

I believe this for the commercial license and for flying within the green zones.
The green zone is not allowed for the hobbyists.

Ok, thanks. That's a relief. That would be like wearing one of those electronic tags they put on people under house arrest hehe

Reactions: Kaparzo
Hi fellow droniacs,

My first post in here since I just bought my Mavic Pro and started flying during my holidays in Europe. I live in Dubai and intend to fly my drone only outside UAE when on holidays. I doubt I need any sort of registration with either DCAA or GCAA.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks and happy flights!
Mike

Hi fellow droniacs,

My first post in here since I just bought my Mavic Pro and started flying during my holidays in Europe. I live in Dubai and intend to fly my drone only outside UAE when on holidays. I doubt I need any sort of registration with either DCAA or GCAA.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks and happy flights!
Mike

They told me the same thing at eMax where I bought my Mavic and at Sanad Academy.

- Art

As per the below, which is an article in the Unmanned Aircraft/Drone User Manual by GCAA, any drones equipped with cameras are prohibited in the UAE airspace. There is no reference to whether the camera is recording or only used as a navigation aid. Anyone with further info on this?

upload_2017-6-30_22-15-7.png
Thanks.

Hi Everybody,

I’m french guy who want to go at Dubai soon for holiday.
I’m the proud owner of a Dji Magic Pro and I’m asking about GCAA certificate.

My objectif is only to takes my holiday memories through videos, not commercial. Just have a fun.
Like in French country I respect the law about RPAS and I don’t fly into the red zone (close to person, homes, military zone, airport, etc etc). Also with the new DJI firmware we can’t do that now.

Do I need to declaring my mavic pro on the gcca website like you do ? If I made this, how can I take the BCAA Certification ? Difficult for me to go at Abu Dhabi for that :)

Can you give the process to keep on Dubai law and enjoy my Mavic Pro ?

Thank you all

Hi Everybody,

I’m french guy who want to go at Dubai soon for holiday.
I’m the proud owner of a Dji Magic Pro and I’m asking about GCAA certificate.

My objectif is only to takes my holiday memories through videos, not commercial. Just have a fun.
Like in French country I respect the law about RPAS and I don’t fly into the red zone (close to person, homes, military zone, airport, etc etc). Also with the new DJI firmware we can’t do that now.

Do I need to declaring my mavic pro on the gcca website like you do ? If I made this, how can I take the BCAA Certification ? Difficult for me to go at Abu Dhabi for that :)

Can you give the process to keep on Dubai law and enjoy my Mavic Pro ?

Thank you all
As far as I know you cannot fly in Dubai without DCAA license, and that require to be a resident in UAE.

I dont know about tourists, but you can call them to clarify, 04 504 2768 a lady called Ellen, she's responsible for drone permissions in GCAA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929