DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UFO shot down

No joke. Must be hard to shoot with artillery a stationary relatively small object at a 300-400Mph fighter jet. Even an A10 will have a hard time.

Even an A10 will have a hard time.

Dunno ' bout that. 🤔

They're pretty awesome. 👍

But they are designed for ground missions vs. air.

Reactions: zeusfl
Is funny how in the news somebody from the Pentagon says "the flying object at 20,000FT does not represent a risk to the airliners".... let me think in our drones do at 500FT.....

Anyway, I hope I am wrong, but in my opinion, the use of a half-million dollars missile to shut down a probably 50K balloon is just looking for excuses to expand the military budget. Creating fear in the public will justify the expend also giving away our military resources all over the world also will give a good excuse to acquire modern equipment at taxpayer expense.

Back to our inoffensive drones, I hope they don't shut down a DJI Mini 3 with another half million dollars in missiles.
Right. “Unidentified objects”, with at this time, unknown purpose, can fly over the U.S. and Canada FOR DAYS (!!!), but oh boy….WE better have our drones registered !

• Haha
Reactions: zeusfl and philztoy
You would think they could hit it with machine gun fire. But then there would be some radioactive depleted uranium in the Great Lakes. Not sure they would consider that but blowing up a missile doesn't leave radioactive debries around, and seems to be one shot one kill effective.

You would think they could hit it with machine gun fire. But then there would be some radioactive depleted uranium in the Great Lakes. Not sure they would consider that but blowing up a missile doesn't leave radioactive debries around, and seems to be one shot one kill effective.

I couldn't help wondering too why the air force mission commanders didn't opt to save that huge cost per missile by raking the reportedly unarmed bogeys with tracer-lit gunfire to down rather than destroy the target. Maybe the gunfire was "absorbed" with no evident effect on the target, which necessitated switching to missiles.

If some revolutionary new gravity-defeating propulsion system is reverse-engineered from the salvaged wreckage of those mysterious crafts, the broadened understanding of physics and aerodynamics that emerges would be well worth the $400K price tag of the air-to-air missile that was needed to bag each quarry.

Reactions: Torque
Maybe is easier to explain, "the target was destroyed" than we has been spying our secrets for long time and we just notice? less shameful?

I couldn't help wondering too why the air force mission commanders didn't opt to save that huge cost per missile by raking the reportedly unarmed bogeys with tracer-lit gunfire to down rather than destroy the target.
Back in 1998 a Canadian weather balloon (roughly the size of the one shot down of the east coast) suffered a hardware failure and didn't descend when it was supposed to. It was shot at, hit with about 1000 rounds, and kept flying. It eventually landed in Finland (after flying over Iceland and Russia) and was recovered. Most of the scientific instrumentation was still useable, although some bullet damage needed repairing.

Scientific report linked below. Map showing the path is on page 293.

I wonder if the 'extra-terrestial' comment was put in there deliberately to test the waters with the general public.
I honestly never thought I'd see the day when someone in such a high position would actually say something like this but I have and I'm now seeing what looks very like a stage managed climb down from that comment.

yes please close this thread its not drone related
Feel free not to read. It’s not costing you anything for us to discuss something that a lot of us are really interested in.
Unless you believe in aliens, these things are certainly unmanned air vehicles so I would say that is drone related. Send me a list of you interests and I’ll try and make sure to only post for your individual benefit😐😐

Last edited:
Feel free not to read. It’s not costing you anything for us to discuss something that a lot of us are really interested in.
Unless you believe in aliens, these things are certainly unmanned air vehicles so I would say that is drone related. Send me a list of you interests and I’ll try and make sure to only post for you individual benefit😐😐
Put me on your list !! 🤣🤣🤣

I am sorry to hear of your affliction. Perhaps your PCP can prescribe something for you.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately nothing I take is going to change the culture of ignorance beloved by others.

Reactions: djwak59 and Torque
Reactions: Torque
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately nothing I take is going to change the culture of ignorance beloved by others.
Forgive me if I don't understand how all my problems are going to solve themselves in pill form.

• Haha
Reactions: zeusfl
I wonder if the 'extra-terrestial' comment was put in there deliberately to test the waters with the general public.
I honestly never thought I'd see the day when someone in such a high position would actually say something like this but I have and I'm now seeing what looks very like a stage managed climb down from that comment.

These are Twilight Zone times for sure, with the boundaries of Rod Serling's imagination now exceeded by real events being explained to the press on live TV by top military officers.

Well.... Correcting. Was 1 million dollars in missiles. The first shot fail the target.
At one point in my life I had a really expensive historic WWII gun that wasn't firing correctly. I asked a buddy and he recommended taking it to another gunsmith buddy. The second buddy felt he knew the problem, (there was a caliber conversion and a part of the gun was getting in the way. That gunsmith proceeded to take out a grinder and grind away on the gun! Since I paid the money that made me really nervous. I asked my buddy "I can't believe he is just grinding away on such an expensive gun?!" My buddy looked back to me and said "Its easy, its not his money".

It's not their money! That being said, I can't believe there is a random armed missile in the bottom of Lake Huron somewhere? That will be a surprise for someone bumping the bottom for lake trout! Hopefully, they recovered the missile.

On one of the other forums. One of the ham radio operators mentioned Pico balloons. I hope we aren't finding and shooting those down without more sensitized radar and a million dollars of missiles.

I still haven't seen any good reports on what they saw (or hit). Good practice for the pilots.

At one point in my life I had a really expensive historic WWII gun that wasn't firing correctly. I asked a buddy and he recommended taking it to another gunsmith buddy. The second buddy felt he knew the problem, (there was a caliber conversion and a part of the gun was getting in the way. That gunsmith proceeded to take out a grinder and grind away on the gun! Since I paid the money that made me really nervous. I asked my buddy "I can't believe he is just grinding away on such an expensive gun?!" My buddy looked back to me and said "Its easy, its not his money".

It's not their money! That being said, I can't believe there is a random armed missile in the bottom of Lake Huron somewhere? That will be a surprise for someone bumping the bottom for lake trout! Hopefully, they recovered the missile.

On one of the other forums. One of the ham radio operators mentioned Pico balloons. I hope we aren't finding and shooting those down without more sensitized radar and a million dollars of missiles.

I still haven't seen any good reports on what they saw (or hit). Good practice for the pilots.
Speaking of World War I don't remember any comments about balloons being used to encourage a war with somebody. Must be some lost history I don't know about.

Speaking of World War I don't remember any comments about balloons being used to encourage a war with somebody. Must be some lost history I don't know about.

It was news to me as well, the only other 'balloon' I ever heard of was The Hindenburg.

Crazy stuff. Hopefully history isn’t repeating itself.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13