DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Airspace permissions

Redlion1986

Reactions
Hello to everybody.
I'm new to drones and have just been gifted a Mavic Mini. I've had it 2 weeks without flying it. The reason for this is firstly to familiarise myself with all the rules and regs and secondly, confusion whether I'm allowed to fly in my area or not.
I live in the north east Endland, on the flight path of an Airport (not a major airport, Teesside). On the NATS app I'm in Red zone but on the Dji app I'm in a Yellow Warning zone. Im not sure which is the most up to date. I unlocked the zone on the Dji Fly app by leaving my phone number but from what I'm reading, that still does not give me permission top fly safely, within the rules.
I'm totally confused by this and I would love some help from you guys top point me in the right direction. I apologise if this is in another thread. I've tried looking for it.

Thanks Chris.

Reactions: OldBoy
Hello to everybody.
I'm new to drones and have just been gifted a Mavic Mini. I've had it 2 weeks without flying it. The reason for this is firstly to familiarise myself with all the rules and regs and secondly, confusion whether I'm allowed to fly in my area or not.
I live in the north east Endland, on the flight path of an Airport (not a major airport, Teesside). On the NATS app I'm in Red zone but on the Dji app I'm in a Yellow Warning zone. Im not sure which is the most up to date. I unlocked the zone on the Dji Fly app by leaving my phone number but from what I'm reading, that still does not give me permission top fly safely, within the rules.
I'm totally confused by this and I would love some help from you guys top point me in the right direction. I apologise if this is in another thread. I've tried looking for it.

Thanks Chris.
Sorry, I might of put this question in the wrong place. Apologies

There are a lot of anomalies between the two. My local airport (mostly helicopters and a small flying school) is not even yellow on DJI Fly, but on it has the full red zone around it's FRZ / CTZ which covers nearly half of my town.

I find the NATS app a bit unhelpful in a few ways too, it can be worded very vaguely. For example, nearby here there's the whole Glasgow CTA which is a huge area. It says that "operation of your drone may be hazardous or prohibited". "May be" is not a helpful phrase from a regulator, you'd think if anyone knows whether it is prohibited it would be NATS. It's the same out on the West Highland low-flying zone, which covers a massive area. The jets fly as low as 85' AGL in some glens, but again the app just says "the flight of aircraft within this area is restricted. We recommend you do not operate your drone here." That's not the same as "don't operate your drone here". When I worked on the air ambulance we flew up that way regularly and tried (weather permitting) to keep to mountain-top level; we regularly had Tornadoes, Typhoons and even the odd- low-flying Herc fly below us.

Welcome, from another (new) Mavic Mini flyer. You will LOVE that puppy! Have you flown it indoors?
You've come to the right place and you've done the right thing so far. Don't fly unless you're sure it's legal and safe. You are a very patient person, to wait this long!
I wish I could answer your question but I'm in the US and don't have the answer. BUT, I do have a solution - road trip. Drive yourself, or ask for a ride, outside the airport zone. Find an empty, open field, like a sports field, and fly. Make sure you have lots of room around you. Trees are NOT your friend. Pick a day with little, or no, wind if you can. Light wind is ok, you'r Mini can deal with it, but strong winds can be a problem.
Also, you might rename this discussion (at the top) to include "UK" or "England" so you catch the attention of our many British pilots. We have many, many fliers who know your laws and rules.
In the meantime, watch dozens of YouTube videos about the Mavic Mini. (You already have, right? ) You have a great drone that will give you many hours of enjoyment and GREAT photos and video footage!
Happy flying

Reactions: Redlion1986
Hi guys. Thankyou all for your warm welcome and for taking the time to reply. I've taken all your comments firmly on board. I've updated the thread topic to UK as you suggested. Made a lot of sense lol. I have flown my Mini in the house, on day 1 ??. It was like Chrismas day when I was young, I couldn't wait to get it off the ground. I used the safety cage as I thought I'd be fine. That didn't stop me from landing on top of a plant and giving it a much needed haircut ??. No damage to my Mavic thank the lord.
I planned a trip to the Lake District yesterday and a hike up Helvellyn, but you know what the weather is like in the UK, wet and windy!!! I'm still waiting for my virgin flight. It will be worth the wait when it happens.
Nice to meet you all.....Chris.

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
Hi guys. Thankyou all for your warm welcome and for taking the time to reply. I've taken all your comments firmly on board. I've updated the thread topic to UK as you suggested. Made a lot of sense lol. I have flown my Mini in the house, on day 1 ??. It was like Chrismas day when I was young, I couldn't wait to get it off the ground. I used the safety cage as I thought I'd be fine. That didn't stop me from landing on top of a plant and giving it a much needed haircut ??. No damage to my Mavic thank the lord.
I planned a trip to the Lake District yesterday and a hike up Helvellyn, but you know what the weather is like in the UK, wet and windy!!! I'm still waiting for my virgin flight. It will be worth the wait when it happens.
Nice to meet you all.....Chris.
Hmm, maybe practice in some open, flat space before taking on the Lake District!

the Lakes is a fantastic place to go flying, with obviously beautiful scenery. Make sure you’re aware of what direction the wind is blowing from, and make sure you fly in a direction that means it will be behind the drone on the way back to you.

Perhaps have a look and see if Teeside airport publishes a restriction zone map for drone pilots, my local airport does. This map shows two overlapping areas, the 'runway' rectangle and a circular area around the airport, I am outside both and am closest to the circular boundary but I would not enter either. The NATS map shows two similar if not identical areas (in 'red') but also a HUGE rectangular area (in 'red') not shown in the airport's map for drone flyers and oddly it excludes some of the "circular area". I am outside all 3 areas.
If you are thinking of flying of the top of Helvellyn be mindful of the winds up there and that you are limited to 400ft above the ground directly beneath the drone so it is likely you would have to descend if you fly any significant distance away from the top, people permitting a flight along or over Striding Edge would be something to see.

Ignore the DJI app for no-fly advice. Its very inaccurate. NATs Drone Assist or the Altitude Angel website are the only official ones.
Also dont be swayed purely by colour - the app isnt overly explanatory. Controlled airspace/ATZ is fine. But if it says Flight Restriction Zone and so on you cant fly.

Reactions: Redlion1986
Hello to everybody.

Thanks Chris.
This site may help you with FRZ`s Airfield restrictions - Dronesafe

For smaller Uk Airfields Airfield Cards

Last edited:
Hello to everybody.

Thanks Chris.
Hi Chris follow this link useful list of UK ATC tel numbers NATS | AIS - Home

Ignore the DJI app for no-fly advice. Its very inaccurate. NATs Drone Assist or the Altitude Angel website are the only official ones.
Also dont be swayed purely by colour - the app isnt overly explanatory. Controlled airspace/ATZ is fine. But if it says Flight Restriction Zone and so on you cant fly.
Thanks bud

Thankyou for that info mate

I think the accuracy of the DJI app is dependent on your area. I have checked it to other sources, an in my area it is right on par, and even shows some small private air strips that other "more reliable" maps don't show. The critical part to flying in restricted zones (not no fly zones) is understanding the limitations of those zones. I live in the middle of three small air spaces for private air ports. Occasionally, the DJI app will not let me fly, depending on local air traffic, but for the most part, it warns about how it "may" be improper to fly. It is the duty of the pilot to know the regs, know the area they are flying, and follow those rules. It's really no different that if you were a licensed pilot for a fixed wing aircraft. The technology is not a replacement for competency.

I think the accuracy of the DJI app is dependent on your area. I have checked it to other sources, an in my area it is right on par, and even shows some small private air strips that other "more reliable" maps don't show. The critical part to flying in restricted zones (not no fly zones) is understanding the limitations of those zones. I live in the middle of three small air spaces for private air ports. Occasionally, the DJI app will not let me fly, depending on local air traffic, but for the most part, it warns about how it "may" be improper to fly. It is the duty of the pilot to know the regs, know the area they are flying, and follow those rules. It's really no different that if you were a licensed pilot for a fixed wing aircraft. The technology is not a replacement for competency.
Hi bud. Thanks for that advice. I live,as the crow flies, about 5 miles away from a medium risk airport. Not a great deal of flights at all these days. On the Dji it's a Yellow warning zone. But on the NATS it seems a more restricted area. I've met other drone pilots lately that live nearby. They all tell me they fly, but safely within the laws and well below 400ft height limit. I only want to fly nearby to practice as there is a park with huge open areas. I've still not been out with my Mavic....its been weeks ???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh