DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK CE to FCC working

Thing is, DJI allowed FCC mode in Hong Kong using the official 1.1.5 app. I remember some Malaysian users in this forum also mentioned they are in FCC mode. Unfortunately, there are some who remained CE mode even though they have the latest firmware and app, me included.

Does the serial number of your drone start with 1N or 3W?
If it starts with 1N and you have upgraded DJI Fly app to 1.1.5 or above, and firmware 0250 or above, your drone should run in FCC mode if you are in Malaysia.
If your S/N starts with 3W, it's likely that it will stay in CE mode, and you need to borrow a phone from someone who has installed mod app to activate your drone to run in FCC mode.

My video and blog FYI:

Its very interesting. But this is due to HK regulations being actually allowing FCC levels of transmission. That is the same in Malaysia, where latest regulations by the Malaysian multimedia commission that governs RF spectrum usage has actually allowed FCC levels of transmission for some time. Last time I checked, singapore is still having 100mW limits in both 2.4 and 5.8g which is the "CE Levels"

so that means even if you manage to ask dji to review their transmission plans it will not be change.

The Hong Kong guy who requested DJI to change drone transmission to FCC was myself :)

However, before sending a request to DJI, you need to study the FCC test reports and check with your local regulator (telecommunications dept) first.

It was a long story of how to fight for changing drone transmission to FCC in Hong Kong.

It took almost 2 months!

Reactions: Gary R and lee82gx
Does the serial number of your drone start with 1N or 3W?
If it starts with 1N and you have upgraded DJI Fly app to 1.1.5 or above, and firmware 0250 or above, your drone should run in FCC mode if you are in Malaysia.
If your S/N starts with 3W, it's likely that it will stay in CE mode, and you need to borrow a phone from someone who has installed mod app to activate your drone to run in FCC mode.

My video and blog FYI:
Hi Mike,

My drone and many of us with "EU" units have 1W serial numbers.

For my case in Malaysia, we are already in FCC, regardless of Android or IOS. Do you mean that in Hong Kong, once the drone is "activated" by the mod app, it will stay in FCC mode even when power off and or using the official fly app. Is this limited to Android or IOS only?

The Hong Kong guy who requested DJI to change drone transmission to FCC was myself :)

However, before sending a request to DJI, you need to study the FCC test reports and check with your local regulator (telecommunications dept) first.

It was a long story of how to fight for changing drone transmission to FCC in Hong Kong.

It took almost 2 months!
mikegor,
It seems we have a hero in our midst, at least for HK'ers.

It looks very straight forward based on Hong Kong Communications Authority, as you only have 1 category per RF band. In Malaysia and other countries (I read Singapore, just for my own curiosity) that somewhat refer to European limits, it seems that there are so many split categories of usage of 1 single RF band that makes it easy for any manufacturer to choose to err on the side of caution and just follow the lowest limit to avoid regulatory issues.

I'm still curious on why there is a need to use a hacked / mod fly app to "jump" your drones to FCC mode. Is it true that some units stay stucked in CE mode in Hong Kong? My Chinese is only limited to less than 50 words vocabulary.

Hi Mike,

For my case in Malaysia, we are already in FCC, regardless of Android or IOS. Do you mean that in Hong Kong, once the drone is "activated" by the mod app, it will stay in FCC mode even when power off and or using the official fly app. Is this limited to Android or IOS only?

Yes. Once your drone has been activated with mod app, it stays in FCC mode even though you switch back to official DJI Fly app, and this is not limited to Android or iOS. In case of Android, just activate it using an iPhone installed with mod app, and it stays in FCC mode after switching back to Android and using the official DJI Fly app. There was also report that Android phones give stronger FCC transmission power for an unknown reason.

I heard there is a FB group which can do remote installation of mod app (based on UUID of your iPhone). I am not a member of that group and have no affiliation with that group. Just in case anyone want to do a remote installation. I think they will charge at a fair price.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/252384655698386/

mikegor,
It seems we have a hero in our midst, at least for HK'ers.

It looks very straight forward based on Hong Kong Communications Authority, as you only have 1 category per RF band. In Malaysia and other countries (I read Singapore, just for my own curiosity) that somewhat refer to European limits, it seems that there are so many split categories of usage of 1 single RF band that makes it easy for any manufacturer to choose to err on the side of caution and just follow the lowest limit to avoid regulatory issues.

I'm still curious on why there is a need to use a hacked / mod fly app to "jump" your drones to FCC mode. Is it true that some units stay stucked in CE mode in Hong Kong? My Chinese is only limited to less than 50 words vocabulary.

In Hong Kong, the 1N model (marked as AU and S/N starts with 1N) turns to FCC by default after proper installation of DJI Fly 1.1.5 (or above) and firmware 0250 (or above). For 3W model (marked as UK and S/N starts with 3W), it doesn't turn on FCC by default. However, there is a loophole that if it's ever connected using a mod app (no matter it's an old version), Mavic Air 2 will be activated to run in FCC mode, even though you will switch back to official DJI Fly app afterwards.

I talked with OTG, which is a local official distributor of DJI drones in HK. OTG PR told me that this is to prevent violation of Trade Descriptions Ordinance in Hong Kong. In earlier Mavic Air 2 lots, OTG sold both FCC (1N) and CE (3W) models, but those FCC models still run in CE mode until DJI Fly 1.1.5 and firmware 0250 were released. In that case, they need to find someone installed with mod app to activate the FCC.

In recent Mavic Air 2 lots, it seems the market only offers 3W model. FCC is NOT turned on by default. This is a bit strange to us as it was claimed that Mavic Air 2 and Mavic 2 (Pro/Zoom/Enterprise) run in FCC in Hong Kong. There is no problem with Mavic 2 though, as all Mavic 2 models are running in FCC now upon installation of firmware 0670. Even for Smart Controller users, we are enjoying FCC with Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom.

Reactions: lee82gx
In Hong Kong, the 1N model (marked as AU and S/N starts with 1N) turns to FCC by default after proper installation of DJI Fly 1.1.5 (or above) and firmware 0250 (or above). For 3W model (marked as UK and S/N starts with 3W), it doesn't turn on FCC by default. However, there is a loophole that if it's ever connected using a mod app (no matter it's an old version), Mavic Air 2 will be activated to run in FCC mode, even though you will switch back to official DJI Fly app afterwards.

I talked with OTG, which is a local official distributor of DJI drones in HK. OTG PR told me that this is to prevent violation of Trade Descriptions Ordinance in Hong Kong. In earlier Mavic Air 2 lots, OTG sold both FCC (1N) and CE (3W) models, but those FCC models still run in CE mode until DJI Fly 1.1.5 and firmware 0250 were released. In that case, they need to find someone installed with mod app to activate the FCC.

In recent Mavic Air 2 lots, it seems the market only offers 3W model. FCC is NOT turned on by default. This is a bit strange to us as it was claimed that Mavic Air 2 and Mavic 2 (Pro/Zoom/Enterprise) run in FCC in Hong Kong. There is no problem with Mavic 2 though, as all Mavic 2 models are running in FCC now upon installation of firmware 0670. Even for Smart Controller users, we are enjoying FCC with Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom.
Thanks for the detailed explanation mikegor, I was wondering if this applies to other regions or countries but now its more clear, you have to have FCC enabled by FW / App update by DJI itself before attempting the mod app conversion.

If you are using official DJI app, there is no instance of some users in a certain country being in FCC and others being in CE. Your information is erroneous, I’m afraid. It’s not confusing at all. HK is was CE. I faked the GPS and tested it myself in iOS and Android. They both similarly have low transmission power. Please just ignore the auto and dual band option as that one is really fly app bug, especially in various versions of the fly app. Malaysia is in FCC, Singapore is in CE
Hi Mike,

My MA2 Serial# starts with 1WN here in Malaysia. I'm in FCC as you are as we have discussed a while back.

I may be misunderstanding this 1N and 3W Serial# discussion.

I'm thinking about getting another MA2. Do I need to check the Serial # before purchasing and confirm the 1N before purchasing it or will a 3W get FCC here without any mods ?

Last edited:
Hi Gary, according to some sellers (local, official DJI malaysia) claims that all sets are FCC status already. Recently, my unit encounter the Gimbal overload error and self shaking failure. It was repaired with a new Gimbal. This leads me to wonder, does the early units (mine was made April 2020) suffer from bad design or bad process.

If I have a chance, I would choose a latest manufacture date that DJI may have a chance to do a running improvement.

Reactions: Gary R
Hi Gary, according to some sellers (local, official DJI malaysia) claims that all sets are FCC status already. Recently, my unit encounter the Gimbal overload error and self shaking failure. It was repaired with a new Gimbal. This leads me to wonder, does the early units (mine was made April 2020) suffer from bad design or bad process.

If I have a chance, I would choose a latest manufacture date that DJI may have a chance to do a running improvement.
Thanks,
Where did you get your gimbal repaired at ?

Thanks,
Where did you get your gimbal repaired at ?
I had to get a RMA (by whatsapp) to send back to distributor Lau Distributor Sdn Bhd, and they sent it to GKS UAV in KL. After repair, GKS sent back to me directly. All in 3 weeks (5-6 days delay from my side as I used a lousy / slow courier to Lau). If you need the contacts you can PM me, but I sincerely hope all is well...

Of course I first contacted the dealer that I bought from...who got in touch with the distributor. I suppose this is how they "add value" in the supply chain.

Reactions: Gary R
Hi Guys

I bought an iphone 6s Plus, I installed the MOD Dji Fly App FCC
without jailbreak, with program altsigner

My iphone has no internet access (ios 13.3.2)
FCC worked, but after two weeks is the app off ????????????????

Needs resigning resign it your self and use ReProvision to auto resign every 7th day then the app will always be live [emoji106]

Reactions: teozuzu20
Hi. I’m new to this forum and recently bought a mavic air 2. I’m really disappointed about the range. Is the mod possible to use in Europe?

Kind regards. :)

Reactions: gb160
Hi. I’m new to this forum and recently bought a mavic air 2. I’m really disappointed about the range. Is the mod possible to use in Europe?

Kind regards. :)
This just popped up a few minutes ago.
If you're using Android it might be worth a try. I've used Drone Hacks at other times on different drones and they are legit...

1615688006721.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots