DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK commercial insurance

Renamecor

Reactions
i know there are lots of posts on hobbyist insurance, both for accidental damage and public liability, but I couldn’t find much on commercial insurances - I didn’t want to ask a question that had been asked before so I did look first.

Anyhow, I want to buy a Mavic Pro and use it to record aerial footage of campsites and mountain hikes/walks and display it on my business website and social media channels, therefore I assume this would be classed as commercial usage.

In the event of an injury to an individual, I can’t see a way of saying this footage is just for my hobby and therefore I would not be insured. I would be interested to hear your views on this though.

Therefore, can anyone recommend somewhere I can use for commercial accident damage cover and public liability.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have your PfCO?

Nothing at the moment. Just found this;
From the caa website;
“While every case should be judged on its own merits, some types of arrangements are not generally considered by the CAA to be Commercial Operations such as:

Advertising revenue received as a result of persons visiting a website or social media page where video or photographic stills shot from a drone are displayed/posted. This is because these types of web-pages may be legitimately used to post recreational video material that was not commissioned by another party, but was conceived and wholly funded by the poster.
Note: This would not apply if the photographic material had been directly commissioned by another party for the purposes of display or marketing on their website.

Generation of self-marketing material to display an object, event or other activity. An individual or business would not usually be considered to be doing Commercial Operations if the flight is provided only for their own use. Example: A charity, educational establishment, local authority or business acquires a drone which is used (and flown by its own staff) to provide aerial imagery for incorporation into own promotional material.

Any other imagery or data collection task where the video, photographic stills or other data collected, are used exclusively for the drone operator's own use.”

I would be using the material for my own self marketing, so I imagine would not be considered commercial?

Nothing at the moment. Just found this;
From the caa website;
“While every case should be judged on its own merits, some types of arrangements are not generally considered by the CAA to be Commercial Operations such as:

Advertising revenue received as a result of persons visiting a website or social media page where video or photographic stills shot from a drone are displayed/posted. This is because these types of web-pages may be legitimately used to post recreational video material that was not commissioned by another party, but was conceived and wholly funded by the poster.
Note: This would not apply if the photographic material had been directly commissioned by another party for the purposes of display or marketing on their website.

Generation of self-marketing material to display an object, event or other activity. An individual or business would not usually be considered to be doing Commercial Operations if the flight is provided only for their own use. Example: A charity, educational establishment, local authority or business acquires a drone which is used (and flown by its own staff) to provide aerial imagery for incorporation into own promotional material.

Any other imagery or data collection task where the video, photographic stills or other data collected, are used exclusively for the drone operator's own use.”

I would be using the material for my own self marketing, so I imagine would not be considered commercial?
No it wouldn't be considered commercial in that case.

Purchasing commercial insurance may complicate things and blur the lines, it gives insurance companies a chance to argue you were flying commercially and without a PfCO you may be in trouble in event of a claim.
Insurance companies will insure you for anything, it's claiming when the trouble starts.

Personally I'd stick within the CAA's definition of non commercial flights, follow drone code and get yourself hobbyist liability insurance.

Reactions: Renamecor
i know there are lots of posts on hobbyist insurance, both for accidental damage and public liability, but I couldn’t find much on commercial insurances - I didn’t want to ask a question that had been asked before so I did look first.

Anyhow, I want to buy a Mavic Pro and use it to record aerial footage of campsites and mountain hikes/walks and display it on my business website and social media channels, therefore I assume this would be classed as commercial usage.

In the event of an injury to an individual, I can’t see a way of saying this footage is just for my hobby and therefore I would not be insured. I would be interested to hear your views on this though.

Therefore, can anyone recommend somewhere I can use for commercial accident damage cover and public liability.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what exact coverage you need or where but one company that advertises Drone insurance for events and such is VeriFly. They have an app available for both iOS and Android. The app is free and explains all they offer. It looked appealing to me. I am not affiliated in any way with this company.

VeriFly are $10 per hour though mate - and I don't know if they cover the UK?

FPVUK charge £20 per year Thumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi